• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 300 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
We already had both Haussler and Valentin Iglinskiy caught doing it. Is it something about cyclists that makes them more likely to do it?

Sources for the more likely statement?

I don't think there is any reason to believe they are doing it more than other people, only when they do it, it tends to generate an article on Cyclingnews.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Romain Sicard and Stefan Schumacher as well I think. Sicard only stole a traffic cone but Schumacher got stopped by the police and they found amphetamines in his car

I also don't think it's more likely for cyclists than any other group of people

Christian said:
Romain Sicard and Stefan Schumacher as well I think. Sicard only stole a traffic cone but Schumacher got stopped by the police and they found amphetamines in his car

I also don't think it's more likely for cyclists than any other group of people

Sicard was drunk but not driving. I dunno about you, but I've seen many drunk people. Not that much of an oddity to be honest.

Arnout said:
Sicard was drunk but not driving. I dunno about you, but I've seen many drunk people. Not that much of an oddity to be honest.

agree, plenty of people from all sorts of backgrounds and jobs are driving when they shouldn't. All the way from two pints at the pub to half a bottle of wine at the restaurant etc. The boys here should count themselves lucky they didn't kill an innocent person in the process.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Coyot´s death is terrible news.

Concerning Levarlet, now it´s a question of how he is able to deal with it. This accident obviously has killed Coyot, and will be such an enormous, life-long burden for Levarlet, so that prayers should go out for both of them.

May Coyot RIP, and Levarlet handle to live with it, and not follow de Fauw´s example.

Terrible, terrible story.

RHRH19861986 said:
Coyot´s death is terrible news.

Concerning Levarlet, now it´s a question of how he is able to deal with it. This accident obviously has killed Coyot, and will be such an enormous, life-long burden for Levarlet, so that prayers should go out for both of them.

May Coyot RIP, and Levarlet handle to live with it, and not follow de Fauw´s example.

Terrible, terrible story.

Yes I agree with this absolutely. Whether Levarlet was drinking or not he will still have to live with the terrible consequences of what happened.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
mariposa said:
Yes I agree with this absolutely. Whether Levarlet was drinking or not he will still have to live with the terrible consequences of what happened.

Exactly.

If Levarlet really was drunk, it´ll be even harder for him to manage to live with it.

De Fauw, as I mentioned, and Claveyrolat are just two examples from the cycling world who come to my mind now. There will be few more in cycling, and many cases in normal life. Levarlet is 27 or 28 - all his life, he´ll regret to have driven this car this Sunday morning. This is an enormous burden, the most enormous one can imagine.

A really dark story...

Yes, it will be difficult for Levarlet to cope with this even if he was sober; if he was drunk it will be even harder. One only has to look at how long it has taken Beñat Intxausti to come to terms with the death of Xavier Tondó, an incident in which he was a blameless party who just happened to be the one who was there at the time of the accident. He said that you always feel that there was something you could have - should have - done differently that could have - would have - changed things.

I will preface this by saying that I have not seen the accident that cost Isaac Gálvez his life and led to de Fauw's suicide, but those I know who have have said it was a racing incident; perhaps de Fauw was at fault but it was just something that happens in cycling and this time with tragic results. And it took him three years of struggling to cope with it before his death. So there, he will always again think of things he could have done differently, but it was just something that unfortunately happens in the course of being a professional. For Levarlet - as with Claveyrolat - things will be even tougher to come to terms with, because there isn't that aspect to it, and he can't be comforted in that way. Yes, these things happen, but he will always feel directly responsible.

Libertine Seguros said:
I will preface this by saying that I have not seen the accident that cost Isaac Gálvez his life and led to de Fauw's suicide, but those I know who have have said it was a racing incident; perhaps de Fauw was at fault but it was just something that happens in cycling and this time with tragic results.

Seems like it actually wasn't.

De Fauw was the anonymous source for Het Laatste Nieuws that supposedly denounced collective doping practice within the Quick Step team. Actually, he was misused by Flamingant Jean-Marie Dedecker who had score to settle with Lefevere. Dimi's parents listened to the tape of the interview and told Humo that their son only talked about Boonen's recreative drugs - which is no common knowledge - and that Lefevere was not aware of it (which of course had not been mentioned in the article).

Saying it's the sense of guilt consecutive to the crash with Galvez, obviously suited everybody but he did seem to have overcome it. Shortly before his suicide Dimi raced the Grenoble Six and got back to Belgium with Gianni Meersman and another rider whose name I don't remember and Gianni said that Dimi seemed happy.

He was probably much too kind for this world of bullies. :(

http://www.humo.be/humo-archief/269...auw-zijn-moeder-en-oom-spreken-voor-het-eerst

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Seems to be happening quite a lot.

But not on this scale.

It's not just a stolen truck with 20 bikes, it's a massive theft of 111 bikes, various parts (wheels, spare Di2 groups, computers, saddles, ...), a team car and a small truck. That's massive.

WillemS said:
But not on this scale.

It's not just a stolen truck with 20 bikes, it's a massive theft of 111 bikes, various parts (wheels, spare Di2 groups, computers, saddles, ...), a team car and a small truck. That's massive.

It might be time for security guards and dogs. The way this is going. God knows how much that lot was worth. Inside job seems likely which is depressing if true.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Giro del Trentino in danger. Really hope it can survive, Trentino's a great race.

“There’s no point in dancing around it. As of today, the Giro del Trentino, even with an army of around 400 volunteers, has considerable costs. Without the public contribution from the Autonomous Province of Trento, it can’t be organised,” race organisation head Giacomo Santini told local newspaper L’Adige.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-del-trentino-at-risk-for-2014-season

TRENDING THREADS