• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 297 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JRanton said:
Yeah, I can't see guys finishing Paris-Nice on the Sunday, jumping on a plane on the Monday and then starting Tirreno on the Tuesday. I mean you might get a few domestiques doing both, but the vast majority won't.

EDIT - Although I remember Acquarone suggesting in quite a recent article that having all of the best riders racing both events was the way forward.

I can see sprinters skipping eze and whatever joke hill stage Paris nice uses to get a 3 day rest before doing the sprint stages in ta (and pulling out for chieti).

janraaskalt said:
Yes, that's one part of it. The other is to have the best riders in the best races. We get less Tier-1 teams and less Tier-1 races. The teams have only a small group of riders that can ride in lower level races.

However, for me there's nothing more entertaining than a nice T-A stage after having seen a P-N stage :)

Also one of my favourite days of the year is the G-W, Catalunya and Crit International Super Sunday in March.

JRanton said:
Yeah, I can't see guys finishing Paris-Nice on the Sunday, jumping on a plane on the Monday and then starting Tirreno on the Tuesday. I mean you might get a few domestiques doing both, but the vast majority won't.

EDIT - Although I remember Acquarone suggesting in quite a recent article that having all of the best riders racing both events was the way forward.

I can see sprinters skipping eze and whatever joke hill stage Paris nice uses to get a 3 day rest before doing the sprint stages in ta (and pulling out for chieti).

JRanton said:
Yes, but what is the make up of those development teams going to be? Are they all going to be under 23s? That isn't going to help the old guys find a job.
No, I don't think so. There's development of young riders, but you can also develop younger pros. Maybe there could be a an age limit, say 26/27. Or a maximum ranking or a maximum number of WT points.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Vitor Gamito wants to race Volta a Portugal.

The 43 year old rider won the race in 2000 (and has a string of second places to go with it). He left cycling in 2004 after a routine check revealed a third degree heart block.

Since then, subsequent exams revealed no evidence of the problem. He started racing moutain bikes a coiuple years ago and now will take this challenge, as long as he finds a team.

Via Vitor Gamito facebook.

canyonball said:
Vitor Gamito wants to race Volta a Portugal.

The 43 year old rider won the race in 2000 (and has a string of second places to go with it). He left cycling in 2004 after a routine check revealed a third degree heart block.

Since then, subsequent exams revealed no evidence of the problem. He started racing moutain bikes a coiuple years ago and now will take this challenge, as long as he finds a team.

Via Vitor Gamito facebook.

He is being very successful in the MTB scenario. Second year in a row winning Trans Portugal with style. I wasn't into cycling back in 2000 but i look forward to see him return to the road endeavours. He is a very nice guy.

jens_attacks said:
just a joke jeez...why didn't i get into politics??

if gamito comes back, why not a comeback from grande candido barbosa? finally might get his win

noooooooo, I had a little hope that this could be true. not beating the record obviously, but give a try for best performance for his age group!
:(
that could be good for his bike brand, as it was in 1994

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
BigMac said:
He is being very successful in the MTB scenario. Second year in a row winning Trans Portugal with style. I wasn't into cycling back in 2000 but i look forward to see him return to the road endeavours. He is a very nice guy.

I was a kid back then. But seeing him winning, and his joy in doing so, after all those second places is part of my cycling memories growing up. Never met him personally, but he does seems like a very nice guy.

Another thing is he intends to make this an experience for the fans as well, sharing with them his preparation, thoughts and experiences on the road back to A Volta.

Horrible news, another former Maia pushing back portuguese talent. . .

Libertine, a return from Vitor Rodrigues would be great, any other guy from the portuguese scene a few years back can stay where he is. If they feel lonely maybe they could ask Rui Sousa to join them :p

canyonball said:
I was a kid back then. But seeing him winning, and his joy in doing so, after all those second places is part of my cycling memories growing up. Never met him personally, but he does seems like a very nice guy.

Another thing is he intends to make this an experience for the fans as well, sharing with them his preparation, thoughts and experiences on the road back to A Volta.

That is very nice. I know he is quite active on facebook and recently has been live feeding his training rides for his followers. I don't log on facebook anymore tough so this news took me by surprise :)

Parrulo said:
Horrible news, another former Maia pushing back portuguese talent. . .

Libertine, a return from Vitor Rodrigues would be great, any other guy from the portuguese scene a few years back can stay where he is. If they feel lonely maybe they could ask Rui Sousa to join them :p

Pushing back portuguese talent? Like there is so much talent to pick from on the portuguese scene... :rolleyes:
The talented young ones should be able to get noticed even with the 'old guard' around.

Oh wait, there aren't almost any. :eek:

BigMac said:
Pushing back portuguese talent? Like there is so much talent to pick from on the portuguese scene... :rolleyes:
The talented young ones should be able to get noticed even with the 'old guard' around.

Oh wait, there aren't almost any. :eek:

That's exactly the same BS argument used by the ones saying there isn't any portuguese talent on football and if there was they should still be able to shine even with all the south americans playing on the big 3 clubs.

Typical nonsense portuguese mentality. . . You know how talent shines? By investing in them and giving them opportunities. You know how it doesn't? By taking away their spot and puting a south american or in this case a freaking 44 year old from the dark ages of portuguese cycling there.

The only experience they will get from guys like Gamito and Sousa is how to dope like in the goo'ol days.

And i remember Gamito winning his volta and riding many others, he was overrated at the time because he was one of the few portuguese fighting for GC and will probably still be.

Like i said, you want to give a spot to a retired rider? Give it to Vitor Rodrigues who is the same age as Rui Costa and back in 2007/2008 looked like he was just a step below Costa, which is more than enough to make a damn fine rider. A shame the 09 season didn't went too well for him at caja rural and in 2010 liberty decided to fold in December :(

Parrulo said:
That's exactly the same BS argument used by the ones saying there isn't any portuguese talent on football and if there was they should still be able to shine even with all the south americans playing on the big 3 clubs.

Typical nonsense portuguese mentality. . . You know how talent shines? By investing in them and giving them opportunities. You know how it doesn't? By taking away their spot and puting a south american or in this case a freaking 44 year old from the dark ages of portuguese cycling there.

The only experience they will get from guys like Gamito and Sousa is how to dope like in the goo'ol days.

And i remember Gamito winning his volta and riding many others, he was overrated at the time because he was one of the few portuguese fighting for GC and will probably still be.

Like i said, you want to give a spot to a retired rider? Give it to Vitor Rodrigues who is the same age as Rui Costa and back in 2007/2008 looked like he was just a step below Costa, which is more than enough to make a damn fine rider. A shame the 09 season didn't went too well for him at caja rural and in 2010 liberty decided to fold in December :(

Oh don't botter with my mentality for it is wide and open. And it usually makes a lot of sence.

Anyway, what i mean is, the amount of veterans currently riding in the portuguese peloton is not necessarily the cause for the lack of investement in young talents. Or is it? It is an honest doubt since i only now follow the younger levels, starting with cadets, and can't argue from the existance of talent in the last few years that eventually went away from the sport.

I believe that is what you are saying? Well, the Seleção Nacional team, they are picking young people from various levels including cadets already.

I failed to understand your first post.

I am not saying Portugal could be a big player in the cycling scene, that is obviously impossible and anyone with a brain can understand that the sheer size of the portuguese talent/genetic pool is much smaller than for example Italy's and France's. But it is comparable to the Dutch's and Belgian's and look at their results.

With a good investment in young riders you could have interesting results and have plenty of riders riding outside, or even create some interest from portuguese big sponsors (if Rui Costa keeps up like this, it might happen).

I won't even go as far as the real young guys like cadetes and stuff like that, but look at Efapel at this year volta. You had a very suspicious 37 year old guy, leading a team with the current 23 year old national champion(Brandão) and a very interesting 24 year old rider(Vilela).

Both guys were very strong, but they were buried down on the team hierarchy by not only said 37 year old, but also a under performing spanish guy who did no work the entire volta and only rode for himself, and Broco who had the right to be a free rider on the team. Cesar Fonte was also stronger than Duran and probably about as strong as Broco at some points and he is young, so lets pop that in.

If Sousa was on his rightful place, which is in retirement or the list of banned athletes, and Duran hadn't been even hired as he ended up not being of any use, Brandão and Vilela would have a chance to ride for themselves and show us what they are really capable of.

That is just an example, but if you look at the national federation, because of the olympics they pointlessly invested most of their budget on BTT which lead to u23 national team (the real launching platform of Costa) to not show up on the most important, and best suited for the portuguese riders, u23 races which lead to the team not managing the score enough points to send any rider to the u23 worlds.

That is what i am talking about as bad investment on young talent.