• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 438 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
tobydawq said:
Alexandre B. said:
Stage 1 (Copenhagen) : 13km ITT
Stage 2 (Roskilde - Nyborg) : 190km (possible crosswinds)
Stage 3 (Vejle - Sønderborg) : 170km

Rest day, return in France

This is the first time the Tour has a rest day this early. In modern times that is.

Do we know who's put up the kroner for this?

Previously it was alleged/stated that the municipalities that host the stage starts/finishes would provide more than half of the funding (55 million of the total budget of 90 million DKK), the state providing 17 million DKK, the involved regions 15 million and the remaining 3 million from various sponsorships.
 
Re:

infeXio said:
The crossing of Storebælt on stage 2 ought to be quite interesting - especially on the eastern part of the bridge if it's even remotely windy.
They pretty much finish the second stage just after crossing the bridge, so thats pretty interesting.

As as Dane Im very excited about it, but I still have some skepticism about starting abroad in 'uninteresting' countries like Denmark. They don't have too much to offer cycling wise, but a time trial helps and if we see crosswinds on stage 2, thats better than most Grand Départs anyways.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
RedheadDane said:
One thing's for sure now; Lars Bak ain't stopping until after he's 41!
That would be very optimistic of him considering he already wasn't selected last year. Of course, he could be targeting the Tour for a smaller wildcard team.

Let's start with seeing what Dimension Data does this year.
But of course, he might remember that he's old within the next two years.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
infeXio said:
The crossing of Storebælt on stage 2 ought to be quite interesting - especially on the eastern part of the bridge if it's even remotely windy.
They pretty much finish the second stage just after crossing the bridge, so thats pretty interesting.

As as Dane Im very excited about it, but I still have some skepticism about starting abroad in 'uninteresting' countries like Denmark. They don't have too much to offer cycling wise, but a time trial helps and if we see crosswinds on stage 2, thats better than most Grand Départs anyways.

I'm quite doubtful in regards to Nyborg hosting the finish of stage 2, as the previous plans had the stage finishing in Odense, which, distance wise, would make more sense as well, as the municipality of Odense was set to provide 10 million DKK in funding.

As for the second part of your post, I couldn't agree more.
 
Re: Re:

sir fly said:
Simurgh said:
Alexandre B. said:
Stage 1 (Copenhagen) : 13km ITT
Stage 2 (Roskilde - Nyborg) : 190km (possible crosswinds)
Stage 3 (Vejle - Sønderborg) : 170km

Rest day, return in France

Stage 2 finishing in my backyard, yeaaaaaaaaaaah! :D :eek:
Would you let me plant a tent?

Deserved GD.
Danish colony here is very prominent.

If only I/we had money for such space! I am but a humble university student of working-class parents, aspiring to become part of the well-off middle-class :D

infeXio said:
I'm quite doubtful in regards to Nyborg hosting the finish of stage 2, as the previous plans had the stage finishing in Odense, which, distance wise, would make more sense as well, as the municipality of Odense was set to provide 10 million DKK in funding.

As for the second part of your post, I couldn't agree more.

Actually there is a big possibility, that Nyborg will host the stage 2 finish. Odense municipality has to cut spending, because they didn't get permission, as they had hoped/expected, to raise taxes for financing more welfare. Nyborg, on the other hand, has stable finances, and I just looked up, that the renovation of the medieval castle and its surroundings is expected to finish in 2021. Perhaps a coincidence, but the timing would be perfect. A lot of attention from all over the world to showcase the city as "Heart of the (Danish) Realm" and the medieval castle, so to strengthen the expected UNESCO World Heritage Site bid, which will encompass the castle as the former residence of the king and the city centre.
 
Re: Re:

Simurgh said:
sir fly said:
Simurgh said:
Alexandre B. said:
Stage 1 (Copenhagen) : 13km ITT
Stage 2 (Roskilde - Nyborg) : 190km (possible crosswinds)
Stage 3 (Vejle - Sønderborg) : 170km

Rest day, return in France

Stage 2 finishing in my backyard, yeaaaaaaaaaaah! :D :eek:
Would you let me plant a tent?

Deserved GD.
Danish colony here is very prominent.

If only I/we had money for such space! I am but a humble university student of working-class parents, aspiring to become part of the well-off middle-class :D

infeXio said:
I'm quite doubtful in regards to Nyborg hosting the finish of stage 2, as the previous plans had the stage finishing in Odense, which, distance wise, would make more sense as well, as the municipality of Odense was set to provide 10 million DKK in funding.

As for the second part of your post, I couldn't agree more.

Actually there is a big possibility, that Nyborg will host the stage 2 finish. Odense municipality has to cut spending, because they didn't get permission, as they had hoped/expected, to raise taxes for financing more welfare. Nyborg, on the other hand, has stable finances, and I just looked up, that the renovation of the medieval castle and its surroundings is expected to finish in 2021. Perhaps a coincidence, but the timing would be perfect. A lot of attention from all over the world to showcase the city as "Heart of the (Danish) Realm" and the medieval castle, so to strengthen the expected UNESCO World Heritage Site bid, which will encompass the castle as the former residence of the king and the city centre.

I stand corrected then! Just seems odd, but I suppose they can find some more flat roads between Roskilde and Korsør before heading across Storebælt then.
 
I was going with bear claws. You know, the fair food.

1132-buster-paw-danish.jpg
 
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Stage 1 (Copenhagen) : 13km ITT
Stage 2 (Roskilde - Nyborg) : 190km (possible crosswinds)
Stage 3 (Vejle - Sønderborg) : 170km

Rest day, return in France

The third day in Jutland could have provided us with an Amstel Gold Race-type of race if the finish - not the start - had been placed in Vejle. As it is, everything indicates that breakaways will have a tough time during the stay in Denmark. Still, I will look forward to the finish in Sonderborg on day 3, hoping the organizers will choose the same final kilometers as on stage 2 in the Tour of Denmark 2016:

https://youtu.be/UkvzIhSaukA