• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Maybe they can get Fox Broadcasting to support them as well. ;)

when they said two more sponsors i didnt imagine that it would just end up being 3 murdoch companies.. lol..

so now its sky uk, sky italy and news the world...

talk about media clout.. :eek:

dimspace said:
when they said two more sponsors i didnt imagine that it would just end up being 3 murdoch companies.. lol..

Hehe, perhaps they can get Fox News to run stories about Team Sky fighting for glory against the wicked atheist Lance Armstrong...

Even more sky sponsorship?

Rumors say will step up as a sponsor and save former Equipe Nürnberger that has recently lost its 2010 sponsor.
Newly contracted star rider Nicole Cooke is said to have been pulling some strings to make it happen.

Now it's on German website radsport-news:
http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_60660.htm (use google translater)

Apparently it first appeared in Nurembergs main newspaper, it's not on their website though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara shot under water (pics from sportwereld)

nb1412can3.jpg.210.jpg

nb1412can2.jpg.210.jpg

and we have another name for "Rund um den Henninger Turm", which was named "Eschborn-Frankfurt-City-Loop" in 2009, but in 2010 will be listed as "Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt"... :p

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
and we have another name for "Rund um den Henninger Turm", which was named "Eschborn-Frankfurt-City-Loop" in 2009, but in 2010 will be listed as "Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt"... :p

So lame. I used to go to Veenendaal - Veenendaal every year. I can't be bothered to visit a race that's named Dutch Food Valley Classic.

I know it's good because there's money coming in this way, but Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt? Really?

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:

I don't recall where I first saw this story, but they mentioned the two new sponsors would join the board. So I guess Murdoch gets two more votes at the table, and British Cycling loses a bit?

Sorry if I got that wrong, but it made sense in my wee brain.

ak-zaaf said:
So lame. I used to go to Veenendaal - Veenendaal every year. I can't be bothered to visit a race that's named Dutch Food Valley Classic.

I know it's good because there's money coming in this way, but Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt? Really?

The races has always had its main sponsor in its name, until 2008 it's been Rund um den Henninger Turm, the Henninger Brewery being its principal tower.
2009 the cities of Eschborn and Frankfurt took over. The "Finanzplatz" sounds horrible, but I think it will be nicknamed "Rund um Frankfurt" anyway.
And it sound better than that "City Loop" desaster either way.

A

Anonymous

theswordsman said:
I don't recall where I first saw this story, but they mentioned the two new sponsors would join the board. So I guess Murdoch gets two more votes at the table, and British Cycling loses a bit?

Sorry if I got that wrong, but it made sense in my wee brain.

sky italy - owner news corporation - james murdoch (chairman) Tom Mockridge (CEO)

News Corp - rupert murdoch (chairman & CEO)

British Sky Broadcasting - James Murdoch (Chairman) Jeremy Darroch (CEO)

then just add on what else news corp owns, fox sports etc.. oh lummee.. :D

This is on the front page of cyclingnews, so I guess you'll have seen it, but

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-and-greipel-to-ride-vuelta-together

cavendish and greipel both want to ride the vuelta next year, in preparation of the world championship. and greipel wants to ride the tour de france next year as well, not leading out cavendish. How do you think this will work out? For how long can columbia hold on to the worlds two best sprinters in the same team?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
This is on the front page of cyclingnews, so I guess you'll have seen it, but

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-and-greipel-to-ride-vuelta-together

cavendish and greipel both want to ride the vuelta next year, in preparation of the world championship. and greipel wants to ride the tour de france next year as well, not leading out cavendish. How do you think this will work out? For how long can columbia hold on to the worlds two best sprinters in the same team?

I say put them in a boxing ring and let them fight it out.

I'd love to see that. And you know why :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sastre will race the Giro \o/

He'll "decide the rest as the races come and go"

He'll only start racing in late March.

Meanwhile, Cervélo will do their training camp and presentation in the Algarve, at the same place as last year.

zapata said:
Cavendish and greipel both want to ride the vuelta next year, in preparation of the world championship.

Another reason to move the Vuelta back to spring. I'm tired of big names entering it, only to prepare for the Worlds. It's a disservice to the Vuelta, and makes no sense. Why would you enter a 3-week GT, and one that has a lot of prestige at that, with many chances to win a stage, a jersey, etc. in order to prepare for a one-day race that's very difficult to win and requires everything to go just right?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Another reason to move the Vuelta back to spring. I'm tired of big names entering it, only to prepare for the Worlds. It's a disservice to the Vuelta, and makes no sense. Why would you enter a 3-week GT, and one that has a lot of prestige at that, with many chances to win a stage, a jersey, etc. in order to prepare for a one-day race that's very difficult to win and requires everything to go just right?

Fully agree, but perhaps you just mentioned the reason. 1 shot once a year and everything must go right in order to secure the victory. In the Vuelta people can try to win a stage a bunch of stages in a row. And then there is the 'patriotism/nationalism' aspect...

Chris Anker Sørensen is leader of the Saxo team for the Giro 2010 (source)

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Saxo Bank: 10 potential Tour de France riders have been announced

Andy Schleck, Fränk Schleck, Fabian Cancellara, Stuart O'Grady, Jens Voigt, Gustav Larsson, Matti Breschel, Jacob Fuglsang, Nicki Sørensen and Chris Anker Sørensen.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Breschel to niss out and Fuglsang to make his debut at the 2010 Tour. Unless they want to use Breschel as a workhorse, and nothing else, because otherwise he would be a big threat if he ever got into a breakaway.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

For a non German speaker, I'm not even going try to prounce that name. Looks like a real mouthfull.
issoisso said:
Valverde's hearings with CAS will now be held Jan 12th-14th and Mar18th-21st

Valverde will be a busy boy in January since he is also doing the Tour Down Under.

Alejandro Valverde's race schedule for 2010:

Tour Down Under (January 19-24)
Tour of the Mediterranean (February 10-14)
Paris-Nice (March 7-14)
Tour of Catalunya (March 22-28)
GP Miguel Indurain (April 3)
Tour the Basque Country (April 5-10)
Amstel Gold Race (April 18)
Flèche Wallonne (April 21)
Liège-Bastogne-Liège (April 25)
Dauphiné Libéré (June 6-13)
Spanish Championships (late June)
Tour de France (July 3-25)

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Breschel to niss out and Fuglsang to make his debut at the 2010 Tour. Unless they want to use Breschel as a workhorse, and nothing else, because otherwise he would be a big threat if he ever got into a breakaway.

I'm not sure I follow. What would Breschel be a threat to? A stage win? Certainly not the GC unless he gets an hour long head start. In any case him being a threat of anything would be an argument in favour of picking him. I could see him not being picked because he would probably function best as a stage hunter and Saxo Bank being focussed on the GC, but not because he's a challenge for team leadership.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Big threat for a stage win if he got in a break and it stayed away. I don't see him outsprinting Cavendish, unless Columbia implode big time.

TRENDING THREADS