• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
Visit site
24 teams forthe Amstel Gold. No Bbox or Cofidis:

Ag2R-La Mondiale
Astana
Caisse d’Epargne
Euskaltel-Euskadi
Footon-Servetto
Française des Jeux
Garmin-Transitions
HTC-Columbia
Katusha
Lampre-Farnese Vini
Liquigas-Doimo
Milram
Omega Pharma-Lotto
Quick Step
Rabobank
RadioShack
Saxo Bank
Team Sky
BMC Racing Team
Cervélo TestTeam
Landbouwkrediet
Skil-Shimano
Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator
Vacansoleil

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Kai Reus has Pfeiffer's disease. It's already in a late stage, so he shouldn't be out for too long, but this guy sure doesn't have any luck.

Isn't that a symptom of over-training. Didn't that also happen to Mollema. Perhaps he was trying to get in shape too fast, with a too high workload.

Agreed that he doesn't the best luck though =(

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
From UNESCo_Org:

Intangible Heritage

Cultural heritage is not limited to material manifestations, such as monuments and objects that have been preserved over time. This notion also encompasses living expressions and the traditions that countless groups and communities worldwide have inherited from their ancestors and transmit to their descendants, in most cases orally.

The list includes the Argentinian Tango, Sicilian puppet theater, Georgian polyphonic singing and Shasmagom music from Tajikistan among others.

And now the mayor of Bruges wants De Ronde van Vlaanderen on that list!
I have no idea what it do for the race, but at least it would sound cool.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
WTF

from podiumcafe:
Cicloweb.it speculates that Alberto Contador might be a surprise addition to the Giro d’Italia this year, in part thanks to the offices of Astana sports director Giuseppe Martinelli. Yes, that Martinelli, the guy who drove the car for Marco Pantani, Stefano Garzelli, and Damiano Cunego when they won the Giro. That would quite put a twist into the plot of this Giro, if the Ciclowebbers prove correct in their prediction. Contador or no, it should be a good party there in Italy with Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre, the Liquigas-Doimo ménage leading the chase for the Pink Shirt.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Oh god I really hope he stays at home. I'm already resigned to him boring me to death on all the TdF mountain stages, I had hoped to see some actual competitive racing in the mountains of the Giro.

hmmm........I'm not sure about it. Maybe he is trying to get into Piestrong's head by sort of saying 'I don't rate you so i am gonna do the Giro before the tour and i'm still gonna destroy you'

But i think this is probably a hoax. Still makes for an interesting Giro though, with or without him.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Beloki is training to for the New York Marathon. Good luck to Joseba, I have run several half marathons and I was sore for a week (bearing in mind I was 16 when I ran my last half marathon).

Bala Verde said:
He also said that Sastre has failed to/insufficiently acknowledge(d) their [the Schleck Bro's] efforts in making his TdF win possible...

...did Andy happen to mention how he bonked himself out of contention leaving Sastre as the only true viable option the team had for taking the overall even with his brother wearing yellow at the base of Alpe D'huez?

Edit: Didn't realize this original post/thread was so old.:eek: Just came out with guns blazing without looking.

craig1985 said:
Beloki is training to for the New York Marathon. Good luck to Joseba, I have run several half marathons and I was sore for a week (bearing in mind I was 16 when I ran my last half marathon).

I agree. I hated to see how he struggled to return to form after his horrendous crash in the Tour. I wish him the best of luck and success.

Btw weird Vacansoleil did not get an invite for Fleche Wallone and LBL

2nd best Prof. Cont team last year in the CQ ranking (14th!!), and this year so far 15th and 3rd best Prof Cont team. They have Hoogerland and Marcato for this type of race. But instead ASO selects Landbouwkrediet.

Landbouwkrediet..that's right. With the awesomeness that is Bert de Waele :confused:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Btw weird Vacansoleil did not get an invite for Fleche Wallone and LBL

2nd best Prof. Cont team last year in the CQ ranking (14th!!), and this year so far 15th and 3rd best Prof Cont team. They have Hoogerland and Marcato for this type of race. But instead ASO selects Landbouwkrediet.

Landbouwkrediet..that's right. With the awesomeness that is Bert de Waele :confused:
There's a discussion going on about this in the TdF wildcards thread.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Floyd Landis didn't break the top 10 at Redlands. Got 20th in the TT @34seconds. Bahati dropped and DNF'd on first stage. Flying V in the lead. For a country of 20 million(way smaller than California) how can Australia keeping handing us our *** in US cycling?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Lampre are now officially a ProTour team....

....or ARE THEY?

Of course they are, but it would be pretty funny if it turned out to be the UCI playing a prank on Lampre (which is of course impossible)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
A new contract with Riis is not going to be much use if Riis does not have a new sponsor for next season. Do any of our Danish friends have any rumours if any new sponsors are being lined up?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Last year it was reported that Fuglsang had signed for a few more years with Riis, now it turns out that nothing was confirmed on paper, and Fuglsang is not satisfied with the offer he has received from Saxo. He mentions that there are other teams who are interested in him. Riis thinks he's slightly overestimating himself:
http://spn.dk/cykling/article2028029.ece

Mr Fuglsang would be more than welcome to help cadel at bmc and help him win the tour next year so he can get back to back!:D

May 15, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
A new contract with Riis is not going to be much use if Riis does not have a new sponsor for next season. Do any of our Danish friends have any rumours if any new sponsors are being lined up?

They have LuxAir. But it is only a small sponsor.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

The team says they're talking to a potential Danish sponsor, but no names have been named save as pure speculation and there's no real confirmation.

TRENDING THREADS