• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
the giro seems to miss really a lot of big names this year which makes it a little less attractive i think. on the other hand, when you look at the great route chosen this year its double as sad as it already is...

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
sklein said:
the giro seems to miss really a lot of big names this year which makes it a little less attractive i think. on the other hand, when you look at the great route chosen this year its double as sad as it already is...

I am starting to fear actually. More and more stage races, short and long ones, are starting to weaken the route in terms of difficulty, see for example Tour de Suisse, tour de Romandie, last few years of the tour de france (if I'm not mistaken), perhaps a very hard course just isn't interesting for the riders and instead they opt for the tour of California

craig1985 said:
Don't mean to sound like a n00b, but is De Telegraaf a tabloid type paper like the The Sun, or like The Daily Mail that sprouts right wing propaganda?

I only ever look at their sports page, but find they are usually quite reliable and have good coverage of the Dutch cycling scene. They weren't the only ones to pick up that story, either, a lot of others did too.

Susan

Susan Westemeyer said:
I only ever look at their sports page, but find they are usually quite reliable and have good coverage of the Dutch cycling scene. They weren't the only ones to pick up that story, either, a lot of others did too.

Susan
The sports page is the only part of the Telegraaf that is more or less acceptable, albeit sometimes a little tendentious.

It is the biggest paper in NL, known for its political right leanings, and its largely tabloid approach.

Barrus said:
I am starting to fear actually. More and more stage races, short and long ones, are starting to weaken the route in terms of difficulty, see for example Tour de Suisse, tour de Romandie, last few years of the tour de france (if I'm not mistaken), perhaps a very hard course just isn't interesting for the riders and instead they opt for the tour of California

Well, the California roster at present hardly says that people are being put off the Giro in favour of California. It's more that the halo of glory placed around the Tour is making people focus mostly on that. Remember that for most of the last decade the Giro, no matter how entertaining, has been rather provincial, with Contador the first non-Italian to win it in years. The Giro isn't under threat, and I doubt the Giro will simplify its route (the Vuelta, similarly, has put in another monster parcours) or be particularly threatened by California. A lot of riders just want a break after the Spring classics, and a lot of riders are keeping themselves in reserve for July.

It's all well and good established races simplifying, but as a new race, California won't win people over with soft parcours. It has to go the way of the Eroica, and make itself difficult, so that it looks good on the palmarès, not just a little consolation trophy. Only once that happens can it simplify.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Well, the California roster at present hardly says that people are being put off the Giro in favour of California. It's more that the halo of glory placed around the Tour is making people focus mostly on that. Remember that for most of the last decade the Giro, no matter how entertaining, has been rather provincial, with Contador the first non-Italian to win it in years. The Giro isn't under threat, and I doubt the Giro will simplify its route (the Vuelta, similarly, has put in another monster parcours) or be particularly threatened by California. A lot of riders just want a break after the Spring classics, and a lot of riders are keeping themselves in reserve for July.

It's all well and good established races simplifying, but as a new race, California won't win people over with soft parcours. It has to go the way of the Eroica, and make itself difficult, so that it looks good on the palmarès, not just a little consolation trophy. Only once that happens can it simplify.

Or, to put it another way:

Catalunya used to be at this time of year and had a far better field than California has this year (which makes sense, since it's an old and important race)

TRENDING THREADS