• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 455 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No, I wouldn't imagine. Why change the last stage like this?

Last year we were lucky with the wind, but there was still four bunch sprints. It looks like something similar here.
The last stage... Maybe to open up the field a bit... to simulate the Olympic road race dynamics.
We'll see. Can't really be predicted before the racing starts. Personally, I like the ambiance the race takes place in.

Reactions: Sandisfan
How does the costs of traveling around the world work for the WT teams?? since they must attend the WT races..
Do they have a flat fee cover or depends on the organiser??

sorry if I used the wrong thread..

Well, organisers provide hotels, and teams are required to use them. Even if a rider might literally live in the area, as we saw with Deignan at the Worlds last year.

The last stage... Maybe to open up the field a bit... to simulate the Olympic road race dynamics.
We'll see. Can't really be predicted before the racing starts. Personally, I like the ambiance the race takes place in.
Jesus that last stage change was so unnecessary.

But then ASO probably recognized a 7km 7% climb was too frigging hard for Alaphilippe if they actually race it

Reactions: Sandisfan
I thought there was a catch all thread for minor/small races, but I can't seem to locate it.

Anyway, the Vuelta a Tachira has started in Venezuela. If you're as impatient for the road season to begin as I am--or if you're just a superfan of Venezuelan cycling, in which case, mad respect (hey, I once called a local bike shop to get a guy to read the results of the time trial in the Valley of the Sun stage race off the printout posted in their window)--then you might be interested to know that whoever's responsible for the race's Twitter feed is doing a great job live tweeting the race. @lavueltachira It's in Spanish, of course, but Spanish cycling vocabulary and grammar is pretty easy to pick up on.

Edit to add: If I'm reading this right, the first stage ended in a sprint taken out by another youthful rider, Jefferson Cepeda, a 21-year-old Ecuadorian who won a stage of last year's Tour de l'Avenir. He rides for Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec, who have him contracted through the end of 2023.

PS Is there a thread for smaller races in 2020? Should I start one?

Last edited:
Or maybe I was reading it wrong. PCS has another Androni Giocattoli rider winning. Maybe the Cepeda kid won a late-in-the-race sprint.

Edit to add: Yep, that must have been in. The stage winner and first GC leader is the Italian rider Luca Pacioni of Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec. Looks like most of his results have been in Asia and Africa.

RCS have given the Giro wildcards to the 3 Italian PCT teams.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/1579182083
I wouldn't have minded seeing Gazprom instead of Bardiani or Vini, Velasco, Canola and a few good Russians would add more to the race.
MVP gets the expected invites to MSR and Strade Bianche, Gazprom gets invited to pretty much all the non Giro races, Vini is the only Italian team without a wildcard for Tirreno-Adriatico, but the only one that gets one for MSR.

Tour de Yorkshire just announced the stages for this year.

View: https://twitter.com/letouryorkshire/status/1218135758705496064?s=20

Stage 1 - Coastal so could be winds, most prob a sprint stage
Stage 2 - Sprint stage
Stage 3 - A nice brute
Stage 4 - Vomit inducing - Cannot Wait!

View: https://twitter.com/letouryorkshire/status/1218135758705496064?s=20

I actually think that stage 3 looks the toughest and potentially most decisive day this year. As I said in the thread on the main forum, Scapegoat Hill, the Todmorden climb and Shibden Wall are all pretty vicious.

Reactions: MartinGT

TRENDING THREADS