• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 489 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It matters a lot whether you include NCs...
Küng and Boasson Hagen (10 NCs) are at 15
Brändle is at 13 (8 NCs)
Dowsett is at 12, as is Halmuratov (11 of those are Uzbekistani NCs)
The still-not-formally-retired Teklehaimanot is at 10 (take a guess which continent he won all of those on)

To the best of my knowledge, that's the top-10 with a lot of riders sitting at 9. Tony Martin still has more than the top-3 combined with 50 and Cancellara reached 58, I don't think those numbers are possible anymore given the gradual erosion in the number of TTs per year but it still says something about their standard compared to this generation.
That said, Ganna could break Francesco Moser's record of 12 ITT wins at the Giro, he already has 5 and is still young.

Just like to say,and not a heavy criticism of Cycling news..which I find superior to most*
I feel like maybe someone gets it at Total Energies..you have the biggest draw in bike racing,if he wins great,but people( my opinion) are looking for personality and back story and so far the teams YouTube offerings are excellent.
I felt let down after watching an unnamed Australian team not connect the public w it's riders in an all out media barrage..Chavez had a big smile,likeable and they had English speaking star power and never got Australian or Hollywood experts to promote the team.
I hope that Total Energies watches many other major sports and sees,learns from examples that fans want access to the athletes
Peter Sagan is a lure in many,many ways I hope that TE exploits it..and I hope that Cav is filmed 24\7 as his career winds down..and I hope Jumbo put cameras and .microphone s on their younger stars and cycling tries to offer more. I really really hope that all the excellent video content is just the start..
And for those of you that know..Krebs gave me VHS and DVD bike race videos..a laundry basket full..and to think of Velo News,Winning magazine,Cycling News,Pro Cycling as what used to be..reading everything about cycling in a few hours and then having nothing for a month.I absolutely love the expanding available bike racing information of all kinds..I look forward to the future

Reactions: Sandisfan
And here are the stages:
e8f20

cc857

a8529

5d53c

663d2

Nothing groundbreaking but this is still unusually good for a Grand Départ.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Probably they need more money to pay relics of the past like Gianni Morandi and Iva Zanicchi to sing in Sanremo so their beloved octagenarian audience could take a nap in front of the TV while young people that don't even watch the Festival will vote for Ghali or Ana Mena upsetting them like happened in recent editions with Mahmood and the Måneskin.

Buying only the rights will cost just 6M for RAI, less than an half of 30 seconds highlights clips of Serie A matches they use in the Domenica Sportiva.

Last edited:
Probably they need more money to pay relics of the past like Gianni Morandi and Iva Zanicchi to sing in Sanremo so their beloved octagenarian audience could take a nap in front of the TV while young people that don't even watch the Festival will vote for Ghali or Ana Mena upsetting them like happened in recent editions with Mahmood and the Måneskin.

And I was just wondering when the hell anyone started singing during MSR...
Maybe if someone gets really bored during the long nothing-really-happens stretch of the race.

I don't think having the Worlds in August is a problem, historically Worlds were placed in the second half of August until the 1995 calendar reshaping so it's almost a return to the original slot. The problem is fitting every single discipline in the span of 10 days, a pacing even worse than Olympics with more disciplines in less days (and Olympics are already really cramped) that basically prevent multidisciplinary riders from riding more than one or two events.