• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 491 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Itzulia looks to be the usual (one of few races where that's a positive), shame the TT is so short.

The Dauphiné route doesn't have that problem for once, but everything else... that's three separate stages that all do the same thing of breakaway versus (reduced) bunch sprint, one of which is in Gap (that's almost Kittel winning in Liège levels of bad), in addition to another sprint. And then the mountains are sprint of the elites unipuerto, reliant on the northeast side of Croix de Fer instead of the harder Glandon (could still be a good stage though), and then taking the terrible Vuelta habit of ending the final mountain stage on the hardest MTF of the race without any climbs that even come close in difficulty before it. This also makes action on Croix de Fer the day before less likely. Moreover, both these stages are really short. All in all, it's a contender for the worst route since the ASO takeover and another confirmation that ASO are making things worse with each passing year.

Aubout the Dauphine, the pacing with the hardest mountain stage at the end is the problem.
The penultimate stage is good, even if it would be even better with CdF as the penultimate climb.
Still, this one in the Tour instead of the Alpe stage right after the Granon Mtf would be a huge improvement.

Do we have any news on the Paris-Roubaix course? A few years ago there were articles and fb posts by Amis de Roubaix, that the new to be build sector Willems à Château d'Hem would be ready this year. On the map you can see the sector 2 of the race, which has ***. They want to put asphalt on it. And for that there would be a new one.

12022485_898503853537581_6206027107222817536_o.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Itzulia route seems a bit underwhelming. Nothing terrible but the TT is too short, and Karabieta and Vivero seem easyish for those points in the stage, but I could easily be wrong.

Dauphine is the worst route in a long while. Usually I like the Dauphine route more than the Tour route. I will admit I'm ambivalent to Vajauny vs AdH. I challenge you to find a single worse combination of 2 HC climbs out there.

The individual climbs are worse too though, endless 6% highway grinds.

On that note, Envalira north - Arcalis is also worse, even if you stick Ordino in between instead of heading around through Andorra La Vella.
Envalira has never been categorised as HC (in the Tour). And I think it's a bit artificial to compare combos over greater distance to Galibier-CdF (where it's the nearest HC climb after Galibier). Not to mention that a combo with two passes is quite different to one that ends with a dead end.

For the curious Danes in here, "The Tour of Denmark" is semi-revealed.

With a "Strade Bianche Nordic" stage (20 km of gravel roads?) and the hilly one to Vejle being the final stage.

And a record-number of eight World Tour teams + eight pro-teams. Upcoming WT race?

And a record-number of eight World Tour teams + eight pro-teams. Upcoming WT race?

I highly doubt it, cause that would keep the Danish conti teams and the national team from taking part in the race.
And I don't think the federation will be able to secure the funding for it either.
The proposed WT one-day race in Vejle is a different matter, and we might here more about that next month.

And speaking of top level cycling races on Danish soil, we'll also get an update next week regarding the first stage of the Battle of the North, which is supposed to start in Copenhagen and finish in Helsingør with a loop around Kronborg castle. The city council in Helsingør is expected to turn down the offer, which means the federation will have to turn to other municipalities in the region instead.

I highly doubt it, cause that would keep the Danish conti teams and the national team from taking part in the race.
And I don't think the federation will be able to secure the funding for it either.
The proposed WT one-day race in Vejle is a different matter, and we might here more about that next month.

And speaking of top level cycling races on Danish soil, we'll also get an update next week regarding the first stage of the Battle of the North, which is supposed to start in Copenhagen and finish in Helsingør with a loop around Kronborg castle. The city council in Helsingør is expected to turn down the offer, which means the federation will have to turn to other municipalities in the region instead.
Interesting. The growth factor in Danish cycling is reflected all across the board.

For now, 8 WorldTour teams is a great start. Still wondering who will be there.

Only Trek and Jumbo are confirmed as far as I can see. Maybe QS and DSM?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
For the curious Danes in here, "The Tour of Denmark" is semi-revealed.

With a "Strade Bianche Nordic" stage (20 km of gravel roads?) and the hilly one to Vejle being the final stage.

It doesn't say in the link that the Vejle stage will be the final of the race.

TRENDING THREADS