• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 501 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought you were going to say that he suggested they could have done Budapest to Verona in 3 or 4 stages.
I know it's probably down to money and trying to balance a route, but it does slightly irritate me that often when a giro starts outside of Italy where they have to fly over, they start right at the bottom. It makes sense when coming from the Israeli start (which to be honest didn't make sense other than money) as that is further south and east of Italy, but for starts like Hungary, Ireland and the most recent Dutch start.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I know it's probably down to money and trying to balance a route, but it does slightly irritate me that often when a giro starts outside of Italy where they have to fly over, they start right at the bottom. It makes sense when coming from the Israeli start (which to be honest didn't make sense other than money) as that is further south and east of Italy, but for starts like Hungary, Ireland and the most recent Dutch start.
Hungary was especially bad because they could just have had a single stage through Slovenia or Austria and then started the fifth stage from Friuli, similar to how the Tour always has a stage through Belgium following a Dutch GD.

According to the Gazzetta, the Tour may not finish in Paris in 2024 but in Nice. Because of the Olympics which will start a few days later.

It would start in Florence with three stages in Italy.

I don't like Grand Tours starting in the country of other GT.

I kind of understand that decision, but with no Paris finish I think it would have been good idea to start the race there.

Reactions: hscoach2
But is the Giro really the Giro without an unnecessarily long transfer?