• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cadel Evans will be riding the two races in Canada later this year. Good to hear! I will finally get to see Cadel race in person at the worlds this year so ACF94 is very excited.:p

ericthesportsman6 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/devolders-vacansoleil-move-closer

What a move it would be for Vacansoleil's classics campaign. Hope it goes through.
If it's based on Mart Smeets' rambling, as Cyclingnews says it is, it basically means there's no news on the transfer. Yesterday he discussed in all seriousness how Rabo was interested in Samuel Sanchez, when of course it's Luis Leon they're trying to sign.

It would be smart for Cyclingnews not to trust Smeets as a reliable source, because frankly the man is becoming more senile every day.

craig1985 said:
Is Robert Gesink's surname properly pronounced as "Hes-ink"? That is how Paul Sherwen pronounces his name.

I'm not dutch so there are probably others that can answer better but the answer is no, not exactly. The dutch g sound doesn't exist exactly in english so the pronounciation gets a bit distorted. It's usually pronounced similarly to the ch in loch though not exactly. In some parts the pronounciation becomes softer which makes it more similar to an h which explains the hes-ink pronounciation in Sherwens english.

ingsve said:
I'm not dutch so there are probably others that can answer better but the answer is no, not exactly. The dutch g sound doesn't exist exactly in english so the pronounciation gets a bit distorted. It's usually pronounced similarly to the ch in loch though not exactly. In some parts the pronounciation becomes softer which makes it more similar to an h which explains the hes-ink pronounciation in Sherwens english.
The "g"-sound in Dutch is comparable to the "j" in Spanish "Jose", so it's an obvious choice for an English speaker who can pronounce neither of those sounds to replace both by "h".

Here you can hear the pronunciation right at the beginning

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
that's probably the worst possible sponsor: team SS, really bad

If Cancellara leaves for BMC next year, I propose that Riis hires Tony Martin to replace him. Team SS und Der Panzerwagen vill take over ze world!

theyoungest said:
The "g"-sound in Dutch is comparable to the "j" in Spanish "Jose", so it's an obvious choice for an English speaker who can pronounce neither of those sounds to replace both by "h".

Here you can hear the pronunciation right at the beginning

That's true though the J sound that americans often use in spanish words is often influenced by the mexican pronounciation which is alot more h-like than the spanish pronounciation. Though I guess the same dialectical differences probably exist in dutch as well.

TRENDING THREADS