• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 510 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And this was previously quite common in the race:

AgueglioW.gif

And Ghisallo+Muro is clearly harder than the northern side of Sormano.

EDIT: Here you have the profile of the 1989 edition:

A4K4chQ.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ganna will go for the hour record on the 8th of October.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/filippo-ganna-to-attack-uci-hour-record-on-october-8/

RCS is really butthurt about it because it's the same day as Lombardia, but how about showing the race the love it deserves yourself first? Present the route a few months earlier and give us longer TV coverage for this one instead of freaking MSR (where you really don't need it)?

Il Lombardia was shown in full last year.

Also, I don't really see their problem. It's not the same time of day.

We seem to attract a particularly starnge variety of spam here. This purports to be cycling comment that might have been relevant 13 years ago or so, incorporating an unflagged link to a very poorly written site aimed at Maths for 13 year olds: not known to be a major source of internet traffic or a market widely represented among cycling fans.

Sometimes, they even create a "whole new thread", that's just a copy of an already existing thread, with the wording slightly changed. Anna Van Der Breggen "String", anyone?

• Wow
Ganna is a talent.. Full stop.. but the record is the record.. If every year the UCI,bike company wind tunnels and ultra talented men beat it.. Great but if the margins are close enough were multiple guys are close.. Not prestigious.. Need to set a bicycle standard obviously.. Can't have a record from the 50s60s,90s trying to hold up.. Silly.. Got to be very very specific bicycle specs..almost immeasurable so the only difference is the horse and that may include a uniform.. Fabric specs.. Helmets.. But riders should look almost identical w haircut being the big variable.. Not doing the sport any favors for an apples vs oranges race.. and my opinion poses the obvious problem of where, when to stop technology and why..but if bicycle technology is a huge factor.. Uuugh

• Sad
Can't say anything really without profile of the circuit and the hills and perhaps a map too.
This is the scond hill and the only real 'climb' outside of the city:

And this is it including the valley road before it:

Edit: there's a bit of the valley missing obviously, but you get the gist. the valley is pretty sheltered, the top of the Crow almost always has a headwind when you're heading south.

• Wow

Edit: there's a bit of the valley missing obviously, but you get the gist. the valley is pretty sheltered, the top of the Crow almost always has a headwind when you're heading south.
No real hills in the circuit then?

Seems like a very false comparisonto Harrogate and a dire parcours then.

The only good thing these days is that the reduced sprinters/puncheurs are so strong they should force a selection on just about any parcours.

Are you saying, that after the issues with magpies this year, next year... they'll be heading to the area of Crow?

Can't tell from this map, it definitely isn't the same circuit as at the 2018 Euros though, although I guess the character (short hills and technical) won't be too different. At least the chance of rain will be higher than most years, that always helps the selectivity, especially on a technical route. It's also quite long distance-wise

2018 circuit profile, surprisingly it was never that close to being a bunch sprint:
euro-18-a-1-1024x430.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow

Seems like a very false comparisonto Harrogate and a dire parcours then.

The only good thing these days is that the reduced sprinters/puncheurs are so strong they should force a selection on just about any parcours.
The circuit will be like the Commonwealth/Euros. I've heard they're trying to include more of the hills but haven't seen it so can only really comment on the part outside of the city. There will be lots of short, sharp hills, enough to shake the sprinters and probably even the ones who can climb if they race hard enough.

Can't tell from this map, it definitely isn't the same circuit as at the 2018 Euros though, although I guess the character (short hills and technical) won't be too different. At least the chance of rain will be higher than most years, that always helps the selectivity, especially on a technical route.

2018 circuit profile, surprisingly it was never that close to being a bunch sprint:
euro-18-a-1-1024x430.jpg
I'd have to check, but I think that it is very much the same as the Euros, possible tiny tweeks.

This has way more corners than the Euros lap and doesn't finish in the same place. Good chance that they're reusing some, if not all, of the little hills though.
Interesting. I heard they were trying to get a finish on top of Montrose Street, which is the steepest one they rode in the Euros. Would make it more interesing at least, but there's a very sharp left into the bottom of it so they'd need a circuit that'll guarantee a reduced bunch. Maybe that's what they've done.

TRENDING THREADS