• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 516 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
All this is a bunch to overcome for any rider,but for Cav I see a path forward but it's looking and going to sound like last year.. Don't see where he fits on a squad that is going to the TDF.
Mark talked with LA and George Hindcappie last year after the decision and he made comments about his numbers and training.. Injury free and showing wattage equal to or greater than some of his best, but still no Tour..
Looks to me to really be one dimensional ..either break the record or nothing else is really important..

Reactions: Sandisfan
An exciting rumour for next year's Dauphiné.
balcon-belledonne-1.jpg

GranierE.gif

col-du-cucheron-saint-pierre-d-entremont-villard.png

89.svg

Bastille_de_Grenoble.jpg

Last edited:
I can see that Wielerflits make it a news item that Harrie Lavreysen - a track sprinter - did not get the award for Dutch sportsman of the year which instead went to the Formula 1 World Champion Max Verstappen.

Sometimes I wonder how far up their own asses cycling journalists can possibly be.

• Wow
I can see that Wielerflits make it a news item that Harrie Lavreysen - a track sprinter - did not get the award for Dutch sportsman of the year which instead went to the Formula 1 World Champion Max Verstappen.

Sometimes I wonder how far up their own asses cycling journalists can possibly be.
I mean Formula 1 is a meme sport just like track with 1 million times the money. It has such an extreme financial barrier of entry the talent pool is extremely limited. If track sprinting not being competitive is the argument against it, then it should go the same for Formula 1.

The funny thing though is Verstappen has never showed up to pick up this award and has openly stated he doesn't give a *** about it, yet they keep giving it to him anyway

UCI announced some pretty significant changes to the WT points/relegation system today:
  • GTs, monuments, WC and Olympics worth more points
  • Strade Bianche moved up to the middle tier of non-monument/GT WT races
  • Stages worth more points
  • The top 20 riders on each team now count for the three-year promotion/relegation ranking (instead of top 10)
And then the bad news:
- Automatic invites to all WT races for the first year after relegation, regardless of position on the yearly ranking (AKA the Sylvan Adams slipped us some money rule, AKA let's hand out even fewer wildcards)

Last edited:
  • Wow
UCI announced some pretty significant changes to the WT points/relegation system today:
  • GTs, monuments, WC and Olympics worth more points
  • Strade Bianche moved to the upper tier of non-monument/GT WT races
  • Stages worth more points
  • The top 20 riders on each team now count for the three-year promotion/relegation ranking (instead of top 10)
And then the bad news:
- Automatic invites to all WT races for the first year after relegation, regardless of position on the yearly ranking (AKA the Sylvan Adams slipped us some money rule, AKA let's hand out even fewer wildcards)

I don't think counting the results of the 20 best riders is good news either. I can see why they want to limit the cases where teams are sacrificing some riders' chances, because they're not among their best riders, which might also hurt them in future contract negotiations, but it will also make it harder for ProTeams to compete with the WT teams.

• GT GC points have gone up by about 30% across the board
  • Monument points have gone up by about 60% across the board
  • WC and Olympics points have gone up by about 50% across the board
  • Strade Bianche points have gone up by about 20% across the board
  • GT stage points have almost doubled for the winners with (relatively) far bigger increases for the positions below that, the top-15 now scores points instead of only the top-5
  • GT minor classification points for the top-3 have mirrored this increase but still no points for 4th or lower
  • For other WT and .Pro stage races, stage win points have not changed but major increases for the other positions. In addition, the top-10 and top-5 respectively now score points rather than just the top-3
  • No change elsewhere

• Wow
I don't think counting the results of the 20 best riders is good news either. I can see why they want to limit the cases where teams are sacrificing some riders' chances, because they're not among their best riders, which might also hurt them in future contract negotiations, but it will also make it harder for ProTeams to compete with the WT teams.
All ProTeams who played any role in the rankings this year already had roster sizes similar to their WT competition. It makes it a bit harder for Uno-X to close the gap and that's about it, IMO that's worth it in exchange for improving the career prospects of the B- and C-list riders on the teams battling it out.

All ProTeams who played any role in the rankings this year already had roster sizes similar to their WT competition. It makes it a bit harder for Uno-X to close the gap and that's about it, IMO that's worth it in exchange for improving the career prospects of the B- and C-list riders on the teams battling it out.

I'm not saying they don't have the same amount of riders, but their depth isn't necessarily the same. Of course depth is also a quite important criterion for a WT team, but sometimes it's easier to attract the sponsor money to afford it when you've already joined the WT.