• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 15, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Last year's Tour de l'Ain winner did absolutely fantastic in the Vuelta, don't you remember? ;)

(I do remember him coming to a complete standstill on a climb)

It is a shame Wout Poels will not take part in Vuelta

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
yeah bruyneel is so pathetic.

Brief Results 1 Levi Leipheimer (RadioShack) 6:16:37
2 Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (Subaru-Trek) 0:08:44
3 Todd Wells (Specialized) 0:13:54
4 David Wiens (Topeak Ergon) 0:17:17
5 Jeremiah Bishop (Cannondale)

who the ****'s heard about anyone from here except leipheimer

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Team Radioshack should have been invited. The hate for anything LA related is too crazy for words here.

But let me guess, the guy that got second in the 2008 Vuelta(behind Contador for crying out loud) didn't proof he has the right to enter the race? Might as well not invite the Schleck brothers then. 95% chance they'll drop out.

Sheesh...

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Team Radioshack should have been invited. The hate for anything LA related is too crazy for words here.

But let me guess, the guy that got second in the 2008 Vuelta(behind Contador for crying out loud) didn't proof he has the right to enter the race? Might as well not invite the Schleck brothers then. 95% chance they'll drop out.

Sheesh...

They made their bed by never, ever mentioning the Vuelta or deeming it a worthy race. If you only talk about the Tour, California, California and the Tour, then it’s no wonder the other races get a little miffed (especially if those races are infinitely better than Cali). And that’s not to mention the doping clouds the size of Paris, plus the fact that they’re not exactly setting the world on fire, racing-wise (they’ve had an ok season, but no more than that).
So it's most likely some sporting considerations (there’s not that much the Shack can do that others can’t, except for winning that pesky team classification which no one cares about), some image considerations (the doping thing) and some retaliation for being worth less than Cali in the eyes of the Shack. Same reason why they weren’t invited to Tirreno-Adriatico. If you don’t show any respect towards the race, then why should the race respect you?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
They made their bed by never, ever mentioning the Vuelta or deeming it a worthy race. If you only talk about the Tour, California, California and the Tour, then it’s no wonder the other races get a little miffed (especially if those races are infinitely better than Cali). And that’s not to mention the doping clouds the size of Paris, plus the fact that they’re not exactly setting the world on fire, racing-wise (they’ve had an ok season, but no more than that).
So it's most likely some sporting considerations (there’s not that much the Shack can do that others can’t, except for winning that pesky team classification which no one cares about), some image considerations (the doping thing) and some retaliation for being worth less than Cali in the eyes of the Shack. Same reason why they weren’t invited to Tirreno-Adriatico. If you don’t show any respect towards the race, then why should the race respect you?

Oh please, there are countless of people in that race that don't treat it with respect. Most of them just use this is a mere preparation race for the Worlds.

And I can list several teams they did invite that achieved far less.

Team classification is considered important in Spain actually. You know... Where it takes place?

I don't care that they didn't get invited, but people should stop saying they didn't deserve to be invited anyway. That's bull****.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Sheesh...

Probably the reason they didn't get invited was fear that the Landis case would blow up all over the Vuelta. Might or might not happen, but I can certainly see the organizers positions depite the fact that RS clearly has a better team than some who did get invited.

Your position on the Schlecks is silly though, last year they said they were there to train for the WC (and then IIRC got sick) this year they say they're there for Frank to do something in the GC, hardly the same situation.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Oh please, there are countless of people in that race that don't treat it with respect. Most of them just use this is a mere preparation race for the Worlds.

And I can list several teams they did invite that achieved far less.

Team classification is considered important in Spain actually. You know... Where it takes place?

I don't care that they didn't get invited, but people should stop saying they didn't deserve to be invited anyway. That's bull****.

Radioshack are a GC oriented team only, and they're ignoring one of the three biggest races there are. All the Shack's team classification hype is just to mask the fact that they're not actually winning races.
I'm not saying that based purely on sporting considerations all teams at the Vuelta are better than the Shack, but I do understand why they weren't invited.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
Radioshack are a GC oriented team only, and they're ignoring one of the three biggest races there are. All the Shack's team classification hype is just to mask the fact that they're not actually winning races.
I'm not saying that based purely on sporting considerations all teams at the Vuelta are better than the Shack, but I do understand why they weren't invited.

They're not ignoring it if they wanted an invitation. There's so many people that don't care or ignore the Vuelta(except for a preparation), that can hardly stand up as an argument here.

What the other guy says makes a lot more sense(Landis case)

And yes the TC in the Tour was a mask for RS, but in Spain they do think that classification is important.

El Pistolero said:
They're not ignoring it if they wanted an invitation. There's so many people that don't care or ignore the Vuelta(except for a preparation), that can hardly stand up as an argument here.

But they never made it clear that they wanted an invitation until after they found out they hadn't got one. Other teams made it clear they wanted one - Dave Brailsford met with Javier Guillén back at the end of last year, for example.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
But when I said the exact same thing it didn't? Good thing I'm not the conspiracy theorist out of the two of us.

You actually are by saying they were left out of the race because they didn't show their respect or weren't good enough.

I never said I was against the organisers decision of not inviting them now was I :) I'm just saying that Team Radioshack's results and their respect(or lack there of) has nothing to do with why they didn't get an invite.

The Vuelta is the least respected Grand Tour of them all. The organisers know that, so they shouldn't keep people out of there race because of a so called lack of respect.

Hey, if they called the Vuelta a stupid little race were only people participate in who had a miserable season then you'd have a point. As far as I know they never said anything disrespectful about the Vuelta that isn't the truth.

Gustav Larsson won the 45km time trial in the Tour du Limousin

To general astonishment Sebastian Langeveld finished 2nd only 20 seconds behind :eek:

1 LARSSON Gustav Erik SAX 00:53:30
2 LANGEVELD Sebastian RAB 00:53:50
3 VOGONDY Nicolas BTL 00:54:13
4 CHAVANEL Sylvain QST 00:54:20
5 BODROGI Laszlo KAT 00:54:29
6 TAARAMAE Rein COF 00:54:51
7 MØRKØV Michael SAX 00:54:53
8 MOREAU Christophe GCE 00:55:01
9 LÖFKVIST Thomas SKY 00:55:03
10 CIONI Dario SKY 00:55:15

TRENDING THREADS