• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
He said until halfway up the last climb of the Jaizkibel, he thought he'd call it a day, because he felt awful. But yeah, after that he was really strong. Too late, of course ;)
He needs to realize that when he's suffering chances are everyone else is suffering at least as much as him. When he does, sky's the limit!

Yesterday, durring the first class at on of the American universities I teach for in Rome, I was trying to get to know my students and was asking them why they had decided to come to Rome. They are all from the midwest. Among the various responses I got ("for the experience," "to not remain ignorant," "to get out of the US for a bit," etc.) one girl said, in complete seriousness, "because God told me too."

Naturally I didn't immediatly understand whether she was kidding or not. She was not. And then I had to think of what to say to that! In the end what was most striking was the realization that no 20 year-old university student from Italy or France or Belgium would ever say "because God told me to" about anything in their lives; and that such would only be conceivable (among the universe of college students through the planet, I thought), in the most fundamentalist cultures of the remotest parts of Afghanistan or Africa and under the brutal force of being brain-washed by some fanatical imam, who, preying upon the total ignorance of his young students, is training future jihadists. Because the people of civilization, because of civilization, have no need to feel that God has "told them" to do anything. For anybody that needs to feel that God has told them to do something, or that they are the exclusive holders of rightousness and justice, are simply in need of great help.

Evidently, however, such is entirely possible in the Midwest, which demonstrates how removed from civilization and how unsettelingly backwards and religiously bigoted a certain segment of that population is. It is the product of a collosal idiocy, which in America is merely the opposite side of the medalion of the bigotry, fanatacism and ignorance of the likes of a Terry Jones from Gainesville Florida (another place where enlightenment hasn't exactly found a happy home). The only difference is that one is apparently inocuous (though I'm not entirely sure), the other potentially destabalizing (like Islamic terrorism) to the entire civilized and democratic world. And it makes me wonder how "civilized" and, above all, enlightened, this world of democracy really is. So as if right on que my boy Michele Serra had this to say about Terry Jones in la Repubblica today. If anything, just as with my female student from remote Iowa, the America of 2010 never ceases to amaze us!

Cheers

The Hamoc
by Michele Serra

This reverend Terry Jones, that wants to burn the Koran to celebrate (I intentionally use this verb) September 11, has at least one merit. He reminds us how much the idiots count in history and, let's be frank, in life. For intelligence, in the end, is like democracy: an uninterupted fatigue along a fragile route; so fragile that even just one single idiot, particullarly gifted, is capable of sending straight into the gutter the collective fatigue and intelligence of all the others.

Governments, diplomats, intellectuals, religious hierarchies of the entire planet are, metaphorically, at the feet of one single idiot; the head of a small sect of vice-idiots who are convinced that Truth has established its temporary seat at Gainseville, Florida (imagine that). Cameramen, directors, journalists, satellites, attracted commitees, all the whole gargantuan mediatic universe are, in these days, suspended in the air by just one single idiot, who intends to make of his Ground Zero a sort of weapon of mass destruction and Final Solution. The fact that a providential meteorite crushed him a few seconds before Jones actuated his colossally moronic proposal, is a hope which we should hold in scarce consideration, at least if we are not to be just as idiotic. Such is the power of the idiot: he has the capacity to drag even the others into his terrain.

Yesterday during the first class at one of the American university abroad programs I teach at, I was trying to get to know my students and was asking them why they had decided to come to Rome. They are all from the midwest. Among the various responses I got ("for the experience," "to not remain ignorant," "to get out of the US for a bit," etc.) one girl said, in complete seriousness, "because God told me to."

Naturally I didn't immediatly understand whether she was kidding or not. She was not. And then I had to think of what to say to that! In the end what was most striking was the realization that no 20 year-old university student from Italy or France or Belgium, because of simple rationalism and worldlyness, would ever say "because God told me to" about anything in their lives. An analogous response among the world of college age students would only be conceivable, I thought, in the most fundamentalist cultures of the remotest and impenatrable parts of Afghanistan or Africa and under the brutal force of being brain-washed by some fanatical imam, who, preying upon the total ignorance of his young students, is training them as future jihadists. To the people of civilization, because of civilization, who are aware that they are living in a secular society, and not a pre-enlightenment one, it becomes inconceivable to have a need to convince themselves that a higher power, The Almighty, has taken such a personal interest in their existence to dictate what decisions will be made at the various crossroads of life. Naturally this becomes an alibi and, ultimately, a cop-out.

Evidently, however, such is entirely possible in the Midwest, which demonstrates how removed from civilization and how unsettelingly backwards and religiously bigoted a certain segment of that population is. It is the product of a colossal idiocy, which in America is merely the flip side of the coin of the bigotry, fanatacism and ignorance of the likes of a Terry Jones from Gainesville Florida (another place where enlightenment hasn't exactly found a happy home). The only difference is that one is apparently inocuous (though I'm not entirely sure), the other potentially destabalizing (like Islamic terrorism) to the entire civilized and democratic world. It just goes to show you that people who can't think for themselves, need to have a higher power do their thinking for them. And for the simple minded or the egotistical, despite suffering from a terrible form of insecurity, such having "God guiding me" can thus convince them that they are actually really important, special, "chosen." Of course in the clinical world such folks have a propensity for narcissism and sociopathy, but are ironically protected from realizing their own weakness by their illusions. My student made me wonder how "civilized" and, above all, enlightened, this world of democracy has really become.

So as if right on que my boy Michele Serra had this to say about Terry Jones in la Repubblica today. If anything, just as with my female student from remote Iowa, the America of 2010 never ceases to amaze us! In any case I'm just hoping that if my student doesn't like the grade she gets in my class, she won't come back with "God told me I deserved a better grade."

The Hamoc
by Michele Serra

This reverend Terry Jones, that wants to burn the Koran to celebrate (I intentionally use this verb) September 11, has at least one merit. He reminds us how much the idiots count in history and, let's be frank, in life. For intelligence, in the end, is like democracy: an uninterupted fatigue along a fragile route; so fragile that even just one single idiot, particullarly gifted, is capable of sending straight into the gutter the collective fatigue and intelligence of all the others.

Governments, diplomats, intellectuals, religious hierarchies of the entire planet are, metaphorically, at the feet of one single idiot; the head of a small sect of vice-idiots who are convinced that Truth has established its temporary seat at Gainseville, Florida (imagine that). Cameramen, directors, journalists, satellites, attracted commitees, all the whole gargantuan mediatic universe are, in these days, suspended in the air by just one single idiot, who intends to make of his Ground Zero a sort of weapon of mass destruction and Final Solution. The fact that a providential meteorite crushed him a few seconds before Jones actuated his colossally moronic proposal, is a hope which we should hold in scarce consideration, at least if we are not to be just as idiotic. Such is the power of the idiot: he has the capacity to drag even the others into his terrain.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Yesterday during the first class at one of the American university abroad programs I teach at, I was trying to get to know my students and was asking them why they had decided to come to Rome. They are all from the midwest. Among the various responses I got ("for the experience," "to not remain ignorant," "to get out of the US for a bit," etc.) one girl said, in complete seriousness, "because God told me to."

Naturally I didn't immediatly understand whether she was kidding or not. She was not. And then I had to think of what to say to that! In the end what was most striking was the realization that no 20 year-old university student from Italy or France or Belgium, because of simple rationalism and worldlyness, would ever say "because God told me to" about anything in their lives. An analogous response among the world of college age students would only be conceivable, I thought, in the most fundamentalist cultures of the remotest and impenatrable parts of Afghanistan or Africa and under the brutal force of being brain-washed by some fanatical imam, who, preying upon the total ignorance of his young students, is training them as future jihadists. To the people of civilization, because of civilization, who are aware that they are living in a secular society, and not a pre-enlightenment one, it becomes inconceivable to have a need to convince themselves that a higher power, The Almighty, has taken such a personal interest in their existence to dictate what decisions will be made at the various crossroads of life. Naturally this becomes an alibi and, ultimately, a cop-out.

Evidently, however, such is entirely possible in the Midwest, which demonstrates how removed from civilization and how unsettelingly backwards and religiously bigoted a certain segment of that population is. It is the product of a colossal idiocy, which in America is merely the flip side of the coin of the bigotry, fanatacism and ignorance of the likes of a Terry Jones from Gainesville Florida (another place where enlightenment hasn't exactly found a happy home). The only difference is that one is apparently inocuous (though I'm not entirely sure), the other potentially destabalizing (like Islamic terrorism) to the entire civilized and democratic world. It just goes to show you that people who can't think for themselves, need to have a higher power do their thinking for them. And for the simple minded or the egotistical, despite suffering from a terrible form of insecurity, such having "God guiding me" can thus convince them that they are actually really important, special, "chosen." Of course in the clinical world such folks have a propensity for narcissism and sociopathy, but are ironically protected from realizing their own weakness by their illusions. My student made me wonder how "civilized" and, above all, enlightened, this world of democracy has really become.

So as if right on que my boy Michele Serra had this to say about Terry Jones in la Repubblica today. If anything, just as with my female student from remote Iowa, the America of 2010 never ceases to amaze us! In any case I'm just hoping that if my student doesn't like the grade she gets in my class, she won't come back with "God told me I deserved a better grade."

The Hamoc
by Michele Serra

Wrong thread mate :p

Interesting thread on the Dutch prikpagine (http://wielrennen.startpagina.nl/pr...-sprak-vandaag-met-thomas-dekker#msg-12783961)

A guy who rode Boogie's extreme (Boogerds own tourride with a lot of though AGR+LBL climbs) rode 110km alongside Thomas Dekker and spoke with him.
Appearently Dekker can sign with a Pro Tour team if he wants to because he has an offer. And asked about signing with a Dutch team "Most probably not".
He also said about the last months he lived in Italy just after his suspension he had gained 14 kilo's. But after switching to living in Belgium and training hard again he's fitter.
He's going to train in South Africa this winter and hopes he will return stronger than ever.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
13.09.10/ 2:49 PM | So here we have it ....

Carlos-Betancur-AQUAsponneMon-370.jpg

Carlos Betancur winner of the BabyGiro in his new shirt for only 1 year max :eek:

Carlos was snached by A&S team director Franco Gini with nice bla bla, during the BabyGiro, before he could renew his contract with Orgullo Paise Indeportes Antiquia(Oscar Sevilla Team) in Colombia, which now will merge with es Passion to do the big races in Europe.
Therefore Carlos will be back with his old 'new' entity in 2012. if not sooner like with Rujano happened if A&S doesn't get an invite for the Giro or Carlos is not selected.

Here in Spanish:
Betancur ha pertenecido a la nómina del equipo Orgullo Paisa pero todo indica que ha llegado a un acuerdo con el patrocinador de los equipos colombianos en el Bio Giro y los Campeonatos Mundiales lo que le ha impedido renovar para 2011 con su actual equipo.

Read more@: http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8050

Final Results BabyGiro @: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/girobio-giro-ciclistico-ditalia-2-2/stage-9/results

1 Carlos Betancur (Col) Colombia National Team 30:27:37
2 Edward Beltran (Col) Colombia National Team 0:03:50
3 Antonio Santoro (Ita) Mastromarco Benedetti 0:05:18
4 Alessandro Stocco (Ita) U.C. Trevigiani Bottoli 0:07:28
5 Stefano Locatelli (Ita) Nardi Colpack Berga 0:07:29

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Laurens ten Dam crashes (2010):

Out of the Vuelta with a broken wrist, cracked his pelvis at the Ruta del Sol, and at the Tour de Suisse, he broke his left wrist (same one he just broke), along with sustaining two broken vertebrae, a broken chin and a concussion :eek:

FMD, just who has he annoyed this year?

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The end of the date is there

Ezequiel Mosquera criticized by his manager pino

Alvaro Pino, the manager of Xacobeo, accuses its leader Ezequiel Mosquera not attacking early enough in the final stage on Monday: "He said he was dead, but I knew that Nibali was even more dead.
He said he had pain everywhere, but to win the Vuelta you must have pain everywhere. You do not win such a race if only your legs hurt (...)
It was his chance and I told him that. In the end we saw that Ezequiel was not so dead as that at all, which made me very angry. "
Alvaro Pino, who is leaving his managerial duties at season's end, leads Ezequiel Mosquera for the last time, in this Vuelta.
The Spanish climber, who still does not know if Xacobeo Galicia will continue in 2011, was asked by several ProTour teams and made his decision today on the second restday in the Vuelta.
Ezequiel his answer to the criticism of his manager: "I'm faced with the chance of my life to finish on the podium."

Source: [La Voz de Galicia]

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
It's a waste of time IMO. Let's get all the countries that Britain colonized and didn't have the balls what the Americans did and have a sports event. Maybe all the countries colonized by Spain and France should do the same.

Note to self, drink less Stella before posting on teh internets.

Perhaps so, but IMO they're a pretty useful vehicle for gaining household name status and thus sponsorship contracts.

TRENDING THREADS