• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Supposedly cadel will be doing around 20 less race days going into the tour.

With the ardennes classics, MPE, tirreno adriatico + 2 other stage races will be his preparation going into the tour.

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Obviously not. Andy is gorgeous.

Heh.
But seriously: I know ASO has nothing to do with the wiki site which is administrated by clots, but isn't the decision of taking away the win depending on the ASO, not the UCI or any other institution? After all, it's their race with their winners list, and they can keep whoever they want.

Mark Cavendish's chances of being Britains biggest sporting success, were given a boost this in Melbourne yesterday, as a Scot who would have put Cav out of the running, will have to wait a little longer to secure the title. Mind you he still has shots in London and New York this year remaining, but January 30th was his best chance.

Last year after the Tour and Champs Elysee stage win number 5, they said he maybe britains best athlete.

Hopefully later this year in Copenhagen, there will be no maybe about it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Why would you be banned for that?

It's a damn shame he felt he had to hide that from the world for so long, I'm glad he's been able to come out.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Why would you be banned for that?

It's a damn shame he felt he had to hide that from the world for so long, I'm glad he's been able to come out.

Wasn't he married? Must be pretty devastating for his wife then.
Good for him though.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
He was certainly married around the time he was doing all of his hour record attempts, I don't know if/when that marriage ended.

I have to imagine that the strain of keeping this under wraps for so long has been one of the contributing factors to the depression problems he has had throughout his life.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't deserve its own thread so I guess i'll put it here...

I was reading an article about the sprinters of the Giro throughout the years on the Gazzetta dello Sport website and found this:

"Basso — Marino, not Ivan. Marino was a clever and very powerful sprinter, both merciless and ruthless, remember the 1972 Worlds that he snatched from under Bitossi's nose? Ivan Basso couldn't win a sprint even if he was the only rider in the race. "

Obviously it's true that Basso can't sprint, but this still seems kinda harsh. Perhaps RCS is a little upset that Basso is likely not returning to defend his Giro title.

royalpig180 said:
This doesn't deserve its own thread so I guess i'll put it here...

I was reading an article about the sprinters of the Giro throughout the years on the Gazzetta dello Sport website and found this:

"Basso — Marino, not Ivan. Marino was a clever and very powerful sprinter, both merciless and ruthless, remember the 1972 Worlds that he snatched from under Bitossi's nose? Ivan Basso couldn't win a sprint even if he was the only rider in the race. "

Obviously it's true that Basso can't sprint, but this still seems kinda harsh. Perhaps RCS is a little upset that Basso is likely not returning to defend his Giro title.

He beat Cadel Evans and Michelle Scarponi in an epic 3 man sprint after the Gavia. Sure, he had soft peddaled as the other 2 spent the precceding 13 km dragging him along, but a sprint is a sprint.

Think you mean Grappa, Hitch. Evans beat Basso on the Tonale stage.

You also reminded me of one of the funniest sights of 2010 - Juan Mauricio Soler opening up the sprint atop the Alto del Morredero, and winning. Yes, Igor Antón had already won the stage, and yes he was only sprinting against Mosquera and Contador. But Soler opened up a sprint! He made Abdoujaparov look fluid and careful...

Libertine Seguros said:
Think you mean Grappa, Hitch. Evans beat Basso on the Tonale stage.

Yes i mixed up by G's. The stage before Zoncolan over the mountain where Nibali broke away on the descent is what I had in mind. It would have been overkill for Basso to outsprint his domestiques for the day, once he already had the Giro in the bag.

TRENDING THREADS