• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jamsque said:
Imagine if they still had their sponsors from last season. They would be Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni -Androni Giocattoli - Costruzione Impianti Petrolchimici Industriali

I dont get why they bother. Surely even the most hardcore cycling fans are unlikely to see your sponsor if its located on the shoulder of a Italian continental team, between 10 other sponsors.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I dont get why they bother. Surely even the most hardcore cycling fans are unlikely to see your sponsor if its located on the shoulder of a Italian continental team, between 10 other sponsors.

Also most hardcore cycling fans don't have pipelines or industrial plants that need maintenance

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Bruyneel on twitter this morning: "When I thought it was all over, I woke up this am 2 the news that my suspension has been prolonged by 1 more month by UCI. Hard 2 believe..."

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Bruyneel joking on twitter this morning? I hate April fools, useless+Bruyneel has no sense of humor.

"When I thought it was all over, I woke up this am 2 the news that my suspension has been prolonged by 1 more month by UCI. Hard 2 believe..."

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
A russian race in the Pro Tour calendar?

After GPs Québeck and Montréal in 2010 and Tour de Beijing in 2011, it is Russia's turn to have their World Tour race. This race would likely take place between Moscow and St. Petersburg, and the finish would probably be in the city of Chelyabinsk, capital of the Ural region.

According to the russian site 74.ru, the Russian Cycling Federation has reached a deal with the UCI. The race is supposed to be called "Red Ural StreetRace" and would take place in August. As this is a mountainous region, it would be favourable to climbers and punchers.

The choice of passing the city of Tcheliabinsk is also very curious. Close to the city of Mayak, it has seen three nuclear incidents in less than 20 years, between 1950 and 1967. This region was closed for over fifty years between 1942 and 1992. It is also the home region of Katusha rider Serguei Ivanov.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-uci_2012_une_epreuve_russe_dans_le_calendrier_pt-14044.html

May 6, 2009
Visit site
What is the early weather forecast for next week's Roubaix? I really do hope for a day like 2002 when they were just covered in mud. For those that remember, it was the Roubaix where Tom Boonen upstaged his (then) leader for the race, George Hincapie, to come 3rd on his debut at the Hell of the North.

yehudili said:
In both 2009 and 2010 was Belgium's Omega Pharma-Lotto for the longest time waiting for their first victory.Despite them strengthening with German sprinter André Greipel, who last year was King wolverene with 21 victories, is the team with six other teams yet still empty-handed.

Gilbert has won a classic and a TA stage.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Compiègne wants the Tour in 2013

Will the Tour go through Compiègne, the traditional start of Paris-Roubaix, in its 100th edition? In any case, this is the wish of the town's mayor, who revealed his desire to host a start and an arrival of the Grande Boucle 2013 this morning at the start ceremony of Paris-Roubaix.

The town, which has hosted the start of Paris-Roubaix since 1968, was already the showcase of an arrival a couple of years ago. In 2007, race leader Fabian Cancellara outsmarted the sprinters with a memorable attack at the flamme rouge.

Relive this memorable attack

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-tour_de_france_compiegne_veut_le_tour_en_2013-14293.html

Teams announced for the Vuelta a Asturias, and in great news, they've got a few bigger teams this year whilst retaining that niche position of being a good race for the Portuguese and Colombians.

ProTeam:

Euskaltel-Euskadi
Movistar Team

ProContinental:

Andalucía-Caja Granada
Caja Rural
Geox-TMC

Continental:
Barbot-Efapel
Burgos 2016
EPM-UNE
LA-Antarte-Paredes Rota dos Móveis
Miche-Guerciotti
Onda-Boavista
Orbea

National Teams:

Spain
Russia

Absolutely thrilled to see LA-Antarte get a rare chance to show themselves outside their homeland, and surprised Tavíra aren't there since they usually attend.