• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
not saying ballan is better, I'm just amazed a talentless donkey has a WC and Gilbert the Cycling god has none.

My point is he's an enhanced donkey ;)

If he was an enhanced super talent then ok, at least it's credible then. But this is clinic stuff, so let's not talk about it anymore.

His WC title had a lot to do with Cunego being in the first chasing group though.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

If he was an enhanced super talent then ok, at least it's credible then. But this is clinic stuff, so let's not talk about it anymore.

His WC title had a lot to do with Cunego being in the first chasing group though.

and Rebellin, with 3 guys in a group of 9, any one of those three could have won :)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I am going to present the theory that winning a world championship is not necessarily the sign of being "the best."

It simply means that you won this particular one-day race on this particular day.

Susan

Ah, then in that same line of thinking then, Barcelona are not the best team in the world, they were just the best out of 2 on the day.

Tuarts said:
Ah, then in that same line of thinking then, Barcelona are not the best team in the world, they were just the best out of 2 on the day.

That's a terrible analogy since that's the final of a long tournament so both teams have to win lots of matches to reach that final. For the world championships you don't need to have done much at all and then just get selected and be good on one day.

Susan Westemeyer said:
I am going to present the theory that winning a world championship is not necessarily the sign of being "the best."

It simply means that you won this particular one-day race on this particular day.

Exactly.

Any one day race can throw up a huge range of results. Even as talented a rider as Stephen Roche won his World Championship by covering an attack for Sean Kelly. Kelly by contrast never won a World Championship and he has a better record in one day races than any currently active rider.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan

I didn't label him the "best" merely find the notion that a former world champ and rvv winner is talentless odd (hyper bole yes, but still remains a ridiculous comment).

El Pistolero said:
His supplier thinks otherwise.

considering how you carry on about Mr.Steak's greatness, I find this ballan/dope quite hypocritical.

ingsve said:
That's a terrible analogy since that's the final of a long tournament so both teams have to win lots of matches to reach that final. For the world championships you don't need to have done much at all and then just get selected and be good on one day.

considering the talent from italy it sort of is like the CL actually, performing all year to be good enough to make that squad is no pushover.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I didn't label him the "best" merely find the notion that a former world champ and rvv winner is talentless (hyper bole yes, but still remains a ridiculous comment).

considering how you carry on about Mr.Steak's greatness, I find this ballan/dope quite hypocritical.

considering the talent from italy it sort of is like the CL actually, performing all year to be good enough to make that squad is no pushover.

I thought you Dutchies didn't belittle other cyclists :eek:

I made my point very clear. Take the dope away and Ballan performs nothing. Do the same with Conti and he'll still perform. Besides the evidence against Ballan is a bit more severe than Conti's clen case ;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I thought you Dutchies didn't belittle other cyclists :eek:

I made my point very clear. Take the dope away and Ballan performs nothing. Do the same with Conti and he'll still perform. Besides the evidence against Ballan is a bit more severe than Conti's clen case ;)

I'm not belittling any cyclists, just an inconsistent cycling fan. :p

anyway that is mere speculation pal.
I can easily speculate that AC has been doped to his eyeballs, beating the system for years and without this would be useless.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
https://twitter.com/#!/dnlbenson/status/75577324455727104

Tour of California will start talks with UCI in the next few weeks about becoming a World Tour race.

I like this, but it would be sad to see the Continental teams go (even though the only thing they had a chance to do was win the KOM jersey).

Also, if this happens, and it's a big if, I don't know if I want to see 2nd tier squads from teams that don't want to be there. Lampre, Euskaltel, Astana, I just don't see some of these squads really adding anything to the race, but I hope I'm wrong.

Those are my 2 concerns about Cali going to World Tour. They also need a sponsor, and they need to diversify the route sometimes.

El Pistolero said:

So some one who cheered for Contador to win every stage of the Giro and hoped that Garzelli would fail so that he could win every jersey as well, and has said that Contador should not have his tittles taken away because the winner on the road is the real winner, has problems with Ballans possible doping.

Good to know.

Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan

Did anyone say the guy that wins the world championships is the best?

luckyboy said:
https://twitter.com/#!/dnlbenson/status/75577324455727104

Tour of California will start talks with UCI in the next few weeks about becoming a World Tour race.

Bad news as i liked that they had all those domestic teams.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So some one who cheered for Contador to win every stage of the Giro and hoped that Garzelli would fail so that he could win every jersey as well, and has said that Contador should not have his tittles taken away because the winner on the road is the real winner, has problems with Ballans possible doping.

Good to know.

Did anyone say the guy that wins the world championships is the best?

Bad news as i liked that they had all those domestic teams.

Did I say something about taking Ballan's only 2 decent wins away?(and the doping case he's involved in is about that period by the way) He won, so he won. It's that simple

I'm just sayin Ballan ain't a winner with dope(2009,2010,2011) ergo he ain't a winner without. He's really an average cyclist, some people working closely around him have said so.

And of course they have phone records where Ballan admitted he took EPO, so that's why I think he shouldn't do the Tour.
Besides if Contador gets banned then so be it. I don't have any problem with that.

But ok enough doping talk. Make a topic at the clinic if you want.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan

2009 certainly was.:)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
2009 certainly was.:)

When Cancellara hit the gas, there were 8 guys left, then Cadel was 9th at 5 seconds over the top.

He wasn't the best, he was good enough and smart enough. Big difference.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
When Cancellara hit the gas, there were 8 guys left, then Cadel was 9th at 5 seconds over the top.

He wasn't the best, he was good enough and smart enough. Big difference.

Actually Evans followed the team vote and rode for Gerrans. Gerrans was f****** and couldn't go with them so bridged across to Cancellara. The gap was larger than 5s when cadel started to bridge across but this isn't the thread for such discussion so maybe we should take it to another thread or leave it at that.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Actually Evans followed the team vote and rode for Gerrans. Gerrans was f****** and couldn't go with them so bridged across to Cancellara. The gap was larger than 5s when cadel started to bridge across but this isn't the thread for such discussion so maybe we should take it to another thread or leave it at that.

Fine, I just take issue with you saying Cadel was the best in 2009, when he clearly wasn't.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
off topic but. Evans proved a point that he is a great hilly classics rider when everyone were underestimating him and thinking he was more of a mountain goat. Now its the opposite and evans owns gerrans:D

i've said that i don't want him back but after i found about the ballan "virus" affair,i changed my mind.i just hope he will stay healthy and someone will take care of him.
definitely good that he refused amore e vita,the charlatan fanini was just about to sell his image,make him a good boy because he won't have any earrings and diamonds.
it's a very small team of course but if this will make him happy,it's a good choice.he still is a young man with lots of fans in italy.