• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
python said:
from a company that makes money by selling calculated risk, i can't see any another reason...the article mentioned that line too:
long ago i found out that in many walks of life (such as sports, science, politics...) solid banks have much better research departments that the associated trade think tanks. investing money is serious busyness...
But if that were the case and it was all a calculated risk, why wouldn't they wait for the CAS ruling, or at least include an opt-out clause?

To be fair though, both the Giro and Tour started off in cities, so you had the crowds immediate and lining the route.

The Vuelta began at a racing circuit, so the fans were not so close to the action, because they were in the stands (especially not helped by the wet weather on that day).

Here's a picture from near the end of the lap:

2009_vuelta_a_espana_stage1_time_trial_christian_meier_garmin-slipstream.jpg

To be fair, some of the shots, especially in the wet, from the far side of the course, show precious few fans, but they filled all the grandstands at the start finish straight.

Libertine Seguros said:
To be fair though, both the Giro and Tour started off in cities, so you had the crowds immediate and lining the route.

The Vuelta began at a racing circuit, so the fans were not so close to the action, because they were in the stands (especially not helped by the wet weather on that day).

Here's a picture from near the end of the lap:

To be fair, some of the shots, especially in the wet, from the far side of the course, show precious few fans, but they filled all the grandstands at the start finish straight.
There were definitely big crowds there, but also remember that the next two stages were through the Dutch countryside, with huge crowds lining the roads.

The Hitch said:
Will there be huge crowds for the Vuelta in the Netherlands? There was for the Tour and Giro but I dont remember it so much for the Vuelta.

Netherlands could have a few top top GT riders by then though.
I was there, It was definately crowded at the Vuelta as well.
It's always crowded when there is a big cycling race here, even in ENECO Tour finishes

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Will there be huge crowds for the Vuelta in the Netherlands? There was for the Tour and Giro but I dont remember it so much for the Vuelta.

Netherlands could have a few top top GT riders by then though.

was it vuelta (in the Netherlands) where that random guys joined the when the peleton passed race?

was pretty hilarious

TRENDING THREADS