• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ragerod said:
So they should. If it wasn't the TDF I wouldn't be surprised if a driver got jail time or a suspended sentence for driving like that.
I very much doubt such a thing would happen to a driver employed in the TDF. I think however somebody should take a look at who rides the cars that are not associated with the riders teams. I bet some of the drivers know nothing about cycling.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Stage-7-BMC-3.jpg

Martin Kohlers Swiss TT jersey.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Kohler, Santambrogio, Frank and maybe Ballan should have come to the TDF. I wonder however who would have been replaced as they are riding very well for Cadel. Taylor Phinney should do the Vuelta this year to get experience.

yes i hope phinney does the vuelta. I think the BMC team has been very strong in the hills and flat. the only thing we havent seen yet is the mountains. schar, burghardt, hincapie, bookwalter have all been excellent and i think that they all can do just a good job as ballan can do. They have kept evans out of trouble well as they are all good classics riders. however we are very unsure about their mountains team. if frank or santambrogio didnt do the giro could have replaced them with moinard who isnt looking good at all. santamorita and morabito are looking OK for the mountains IMO.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
Kohler, Santambrogio, Frank and maybe Ballan should have come to the TDF. I wonder however who would have been replaced as they are riding very well for Cadel. Taylor Phinney should do the Vuelta this year to get experience.
Santa doesn't climb the big mountains as any of the other climbers. Kohler needs to develop a bit more as a rider as I don't think he is ready nor would do a better job than the others. Ballan doesn't have the form and I think the guys would be doing his role are doing a fine job anyway.

Who would you replace those guys with and why?
dlwssonic said:
yes i hope phinney does the vuelta. I think the BMC team has been very strong in the hills and flat. the only thing we havent seen yet is the mountains. schar, burghardt, hincapie, bookwalter have all been excellent and i think that they all can do just a good job as ballan can do. They have kept evans out of trouble well as they are all good classics riders. however we are very unsure about their mountains team. if frank or santambrogio didnt do the giro could have replaced them with moinard who isnt looking good at all. santamorita and morabito are looking OK for the mountains IMO.

Moinard looked fine to me. Santa and Steve are also looking good. No problems...so far!:eek: Phinney won't do la vuelta.

I think the Vuelta squad would be:

Evans, Van Avermaet, Santambrogio, Frank, Ballan (depends on case), Kohler, Kroon, Butler and tschopp. The 1st 5 have all confirmed vuelta participation.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Moinard looked fine to me. Santa and Steve are also looking good. No problems...so far!:eek: Phinney won't do la vuelta.

I think the Vuelta squad would be:

Evans, Van Avermaet, Santambrogio, Frank, Ballan (depends on case), Kohler, Kroon, Butler and tschopp. The 1st 5 have all confirmed vuelta participation.

moinard didnt look that great yesterday thought. I hope morabito santa and moinard do well in the mountains as they all have been conserving energy.

A strong squad for the vuelta. they will support cadel well in the mountains.
I would like to see cadel do well on those hill top finishes in the veulta especially on the 28% gradient one.

btw this is their tour de walloonie line up

MATHIAS FRANK
MARTIN KOHLER
ALEXANDER KRISTOFF
JEFFREY LOUDER
JOHN MURPHY
TAYLOR PHINNEY
GREG VAN AVERMAET

frank for the win???
GVA, phinney and murphy will be the leadout man for TGAK i guess.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I know it will be good for BMC publicity wise to field Tyler Phinney in a GT, but I really hopethey ease him into racing a GT without any pressure on him. As tempting as it was for Euskaltel to field Romain Sicard in the Tour which would have got them a lot of good publicity, they resisted and he will ride the Vuelta, which is spot on IMO.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
moinard didnt look that great yesterday thought. I hope morabito santa and moinard do well in the mountains as they all have been conserving energy.

A strong squad for the vuelta. they will support cadel well in the mountains.
I would like to see cadel do well on those hill top finishes in the veulta especially on the 28% gradient one.

btw this is their tour de walloonie line up

MATHIAS FRANK
MARTIN KOHLER
ALEXANDER KRISTOFF
JEFFREY LOUDER
JOHN MURPHY
TAYLOR PHINNEY
GREG VAN AVERMAET

frank for the win???
GVA, phinney and murphy will be the leadout man for TGAK i guess.

see what I mean with you alwayysss predicting bmc for the win :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I know it will be good for BMC publicity wise to field Tyler Phinney in a GT, but I really hopethey ease him into racing a GT without any pressure on him. As tempting as it was for Euskaltel to field Romain Sicard in the Tour which would have got them a lot of good publicity, they resisted and he will ride the Vuelta, which is spot on IMO.

yep it is a good approach.
rabo generally don't like to rush into GTs with neopros either.
I was surprised to see slagter start the giro.

Don't expect young kelderman in a gt for the first 2 seasons I bet, maybe the vuelta in year 2.

craig1985 said:

EE are already getting all the publicity they can handle with Super Sam;)

I would also have put in Kroon if fit. Ballan has the winning potential and would therefore have been good for Cadel. I think they should put Phinney in a GT this year as otherwise he has to wait a whole year to do another and he should not do the Giro and he would not get into the TDF team. They could always just get him to be domestique for Cadel and retire 2 weeks or so into it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nice gesture by Contador:

On an initiative of l'Equipe, Contador met the 13-year old spectator who caused the crash on the first stage where Contador lost over a minute and a half to many of his opponents. It was the youngster's first time watching the riders go by, he had come with his grandfather, a cycling enthousiast. "The next time, I want you to be more careful", said Contador. "We go fast and it is dangerous. The next time I want you to be happy to have seen the riders".

heard today on France 3

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:

On an initiative of l'Equipe, Contador met the 13-year old spectator who caused the crash on the first stage where Contador lost over a minute and a half to many of his opponents. It was the youngster's first time watching the riders go by, he had come with his grandfather, a cycling enthousiast. "The next time, I want you to be more careful", said Contador. "We go fast and it is dangerous. The next time I want you to be happy to have seen the riders".

heard today on France 3

I would have slapped him lol

Though that kid must have some balls to meet up with Contador like that instead of being a little weasel.

on his diary for portuguese eurosport rui costa sets L-B-L as his main goal for next season and says he wants to contend for the win.

is good to see that he is showing some ambition and is focusing on the classics that suit him much better then GT's.

anyway do you guys believe its possible for him to be in contention next year? i would say it still is a bit to soon, he is only 24 and needs more experience.

Christian said:

heard today on France 3

*** edited by mod ***

TRENDING THREADS