• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Gilbert as Belgium TT champ

I laughed (cackled might be better) too when I read the news, but then I read what he had to say about it. Phil says he soft pedaled (my words) the last stage of Eneco to save himself for the TT, as he had already concluded that he couldn't beat EddieBoss. After Eneco was over, Phil drove over to the TT site so that he could pre-ride the course early in the morning to mark all the "tricky corners." Then he rode the thing three times. Then I went to the IG site which rates the riders and saw that Phil has over 14,000 racing miles in the past twelve months, more than any other rider! The man is serious, no cycling dilettante. He is so much more than merely talented. Quite a guy.

Just read this on TSF blog about the test race at the weekend:-

THE WHEELER(?) – “A question for Mark, congratulations. Looking at next year, how does it feel to race with Team Sky on your shirt?”
CAVENDISH – “The Great Britain team is sponsored by Sky”
THE WHEELER(?) – “I know but could you get used to the name on your shirt?”
CAVENDISH – “I’m going to be riding with Great Britain in the World Championships so I’ll have Sky on my jersey, because Sky sponsors the Great British team”
THE WHEELER(?) – “But next year, can you say anything about your transfer process?”
CAVENDISH – “No”.

Made me chuckle.

ingsve said:
This was just posted on twitter by Jonathan Vaughters

http://twitpic.com/66lhni

It's the sporting criteria rankings for 2011 and tentatively for 2012 calculated by Fran Reyes. He says that Gilbert for example is not added to any team yet. So there will be big changes in the 2012 ranking.

How on earth are AG2R so low?

Gadrets Giro on its own with stage win + 4th should get them into World Tour. Then you got Peraud top 10 at the Tour, Duponts performance at the Giro and Nocentini getting a good 6th in Poland.

Surely good enough for a top 15.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Gadrets Giro on its own with stage win + 4th should get them into World Tour. Then you got Peraud top 10 at the Tour, Duponts performance at the Giro and Nocentini getting a good 6th in Poland.

Hell no. They've only won 3 races this season.

The Hitch said:

Gadret is worth around 50 points. Peraud is worth around 65. Dupont is worth around 15-20 points at max.

The problem is that finishing highish on GC is not worth that much in the sporting value ranking. You need to win races as well and AG2R have relatively few wins.

ingsve said:
Gadret is worth around 50 points. Peraud is worth around 65. Dupont is worth around 15-20 points at max.

The problem is that finishing highish on GC is not worth that much in the sporting value ranking. You need to win races as well and AG2R have relatively few wins.

Well Leopard are first and what have they won? E3, does that even count? Their first based on second and third places so i figured AGR could do well with a supergiro.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Well Leopard are first and what have they won? E3, does that even count? Their first based on second and third places so i figured AGR could do well with a supergiro.

Podiumed every Monument, second and third in Tour, 17 victories.

The Hitch said:

The schlecks and Cancellara are much higher in the individual rankings than the AG2r riders and you also get points for 2nd and 3rd in GTs while in other stage races only the wins get you extra points.

Last year both Schlecks and Cancellara finished top 20 in the extended WT ranking and that's 70 points each. Currently they are all in the top 10 in the extended WT ranking which is worth 100 points each so that's 510 points right there before considering any wins or GT podiums or these riders place in the Europe Continental ranking or any other riders points.

TRENDING THREADS