• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Heard on National Public Radio's "All Things Considered" yesterday:
Colombian Cyclists Dream Of Racing Out Of Poverty
On a warm, clear, breezy day in the highlands of central Colombia, Luis Cardenas' boys are moving fast, breathing hard, legs pumping, eyes focused on the asphalt ahead, 8,000 feet above sea level.

Cardenas is the coach of a cycling club for teenagers. And he pushes them hard.

(link has text of the story, pics, and video file)

hrotha said:
Any explanation on what each column represents?

RV=Rider Value
WIN 11= Bonus points for wins in 2011
WIN 10= Bonus points for wins in 2010
WOR 11=World ranking 2011
WOR 10=World ranking 2010
EU 11=European Continental ranking 2011
EU 10=European Continental ranking 2010
AM 11=American Continental ranking 2011
AM 10=American Continental ranking 2010
AS 11=Asian Continental ranking 2011
AS 10=Asian Continental ranking 2010
AF 11=African Continental ranking 2011
AF 10=African Continental ranking 2010
OC 11=Oceania Continental ranking 2011
OC 10=Oceania Continental ranking 2010

It's still missing the points for U-23 rankings though so it's not 100% complete.

ingsve said:
CQ ranking has released their attempt at calculating all the individual riders values for the sporting value ranking. http://t.co/H1pzNjq

Am I right in saying that the Green points jersey at the Tour, for example, has no 'points value' to the individual who won it? It's only the team that benefits?

I took Cav as an example and I think his bonus points for wins in 2011 can be broken down as:

5 Tour stage wins - 9 points per stage win = 45 points

2 Giro stage wins - 7 points per stage win = 14 points

Scheldeprijs victory = 8 points

1 Tour of Oman stage win = 2 points

London Surrey Cycle Classic victory = 3 points

2011 bonus points total = 72

I've taken the following from CyclingNews' article on how the ranking system works:

Collective team scores

The UCI claim that this points scale is based on ‘team spirit’ amongst other things but in reality it is a tally of points scored in team classifications at stage races during the past year (so for 2012, the 2011 team classification results will be used).

For example a team scores 40 points for winning the team classification in the Tour de France, 30 for the Giro d’Italia, 20 for a class one WorldTour stage race, 15 for a class two WorldTour stage race and eight points for a HC class Continental stage race.

The UCI divides WorldTour races into two ‘classes.’ In class one are Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Criterium du Dauphine and Tour de Suisse. In class two are Tour Down Under, Pais Vasco, Romandie, Catalunya, Eneco Tour, Tour of Poland and the Tour of Beijing.

Teams also score points for defending race leader’s jerseys. The final overall jersey winner's team scores 15 points, with a points jersey and a mountains jersey worth 10 points each. Each day a team hold a race leader’s jersey it scores three points, with two points scored for points and mountains jersey.

Do we have any idea how teams are currently doing in this part of the ranking system? When you think about the number of stage races across the year then you'd imagine that the collective team score is very important to the overall 'sporting ranking' and must pose a real problem for new teams in 2012 like GreenEdge.

JRanton said:
Am I right in saying that the Green points jersey at the Tour, for example, has no 'points value' to the individual who won it? It's only the team that benefits?

I took Cav as an example and I think his bonus points for wins in 2011 can be broken down as:

5 Tour stage wins - 9 points per stage win = 45 points

2 Giro stage wins - 7 points per stage win = 14 points

Scheldeprijs victory = 8 points

1 Tour of Oman stage win = 2 points

London Surrey Cycle Classic victory = 3 points

2011 bonus points total = 72

I've taken the following from CyclingNews' article on how the ranking system works:

Do we have any idea how teams are currently doing in this part of the ranking system? When you think about the number of stage races across the year then you'd imagine that the collective team score is very important to the overall 'sporting ranking' and must pose a real problem for new teams in 2012 like GreenEdge.

If you look at the second tab of the file from CQ you will see the team ranking which is broken down into scores for the riders and points scored by the team itself.

Edit: And yes, the green jersey gives no points to the person who wears or wins it.

ingsve said:
If you look at the second tab of the file from CQ you will see the team ranking which is broken down into scores for the riders and points scored by the team itself.

Edit: And yes, the green jersey gives no points to the person who wears or wins it.

I see, thanks. Those 'collective team scores' aren't anything like as high as I'd imagined.

Does the following only relate to WorldTour races then?

Teams also score points for defending race leader’s jerseys. The final overall jersey winner's team scores 15 points, with a points jersey and a mountains jersey worth 10 points each. Each day a team hold a race leader’s jersey it scores three points, with two points scored for points and mountains jersey.

I couldn't actually see any mention of the above in the UCI documents that CyclingNews posted.

JRanton said:
I see, thanks. Those 'collective team scores' aren't anything like as high as I'd imagined.

Does the following only relate to WorldTour races then?

I couldn't actually see any mention of the above in the UCI documents that CyclingNews posted.

I don't know but I would guess that it only applies to GTs actually at least with those points given since otherwise those points would be very high for a jersey in a WT stage race. 10 Points for the green jersey in the GT when the stages are worth 7-8-9 seems resonable but 10 points for a points jersey a week long stage race seems very high when each stage is only wirth 5 points and the prestige in jerseys in those week long races is nowhere near the prestige of the jerseys in GTs.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Some good news for Australian Cycling.

Vuelta will be show half hour highlights every night and show stages 8,9,13,14,15,18,20,21 all LIVE!

SBS will show daily highlights of Herald Sun Tour and the last two stages live!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Some good news for Australian Cycling.

Vuelta will be show half hour highlights every night and show stages 8,9,13,14,15,18,20,21 all LIVE!

SBS will show daily highlights of Herald Sun Tour and the last two stages live!

What time are the highlights at night? Unfortunately I won't be staying up much to watch the race, so the highlights and torrents will be my answer.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
What time are the highlights at night? Unfortunately I won't be staying up much to watch the race, so the highlights and torrents will be my answer.

5:30pm to 6pm. They have never done 1/2 hour vuelta highlights so it's quite good that they are now.

Just Lombardia though.

I could start training in the coming days. So, if everything goes well, I may compete for Tour de Lombardie, which is the last race of the season and could be the last race to end my career.

This would be also a last occasion for me to contribute to increase the UCI points of Pro Team Astana and for the Kazakh Federation, in anticipation of the selections for the Olympic Games."

Source: http://proteam-astana.com/content/News/newsUK.php?ID_news=433

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
markene2 said:
Just Lombardia though.

I could start training in the coming days. So, if everything goes well, I may compete for Tour de Lombardie, which is the last race of the season and could be the last race to end my career.

This would be also a last occasion for me to contribute to increase the UCI points of Pro Team Astana and for the Kazakh Federation, in anticipation of the selections for the Olympic Games."

Source: http://proteam-astana.com/content/News/newsUK.php?ID_news=433

Let's hope he does another year :)

TRENDING THREADS