• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
I think he says he wants to wear the white jersey after the prologue, not necessarily win it. And that should be possible.

Apparently he had to change the back wheel on his TT bike in the final Giro TT after a few kms, and he still got 8th. That's not too bad.

Thats a different matter all together. If they get an invite then he has a real chance.

Slightly worrying that he is setting his sights so low though

theyoungest said:
Wasn't this already semi-confirmed? I think Andre Meganck (Sporza dude) posted the stage towns already.

It's an interesting route, but not great for your guy Martin. That Mende finish will be hard for him.

If Tony shows up in last years shape he will be a podium contender don't worry.
He could easily afford to lose 45 seconds in Mende to the best climbers and still win the GC

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
If Tony shows up in last years shape he will be a podium contender don't worry.
He could easily afford to lose 45 seconds in Mende to the best climbers and still win the GC

With just a 9km prologue he would never beat someone like Contador, Evans or Valverde(pre-ban). Besides, Contador would probably take time on him in the prologue.

But these days, Tirreno-Adriatico is the new biggest one week stage race. Contador, Evans, Valverde, Scarponi, etc will all be there. Paris-Nice is losing prestige fast. So with weak competition everything can happen I guess.

El Pistolero said:
With just a 9km prologue he would never beat someone like Contador, Evans or Valverde(pre-ban). Besides, Contador would probably take time on him in the prologue.

But these days, Tirreno-Adriatico is the new biggest one week stage race. Contador, Evans, Valverde, Scarponi, etc will all be there. Paris-Nice is losing prestige fast. So with weak competition everything can happen I guess.

El Imbatido is doing Tirreno???

Wow. I didint think hed do any RCS races.

What about Gilbert. Hes doing Tirreno right? if he is im surprised you dont mention him as a contender cos he should be.

The Hitch said:
El Imbatido is doing Tirreno???

Wow. I didint think hed do any RCS races.

What about Gilbert. Hes doing Tirreno right? if he is im surprised you dont mention him as a contender cos he should be.
Gilbert isn't a contender for Tirreno. Not for the overall at least.

I'm also surprised that Valverde (apparently) will do Tirreno... somehow he seems to like Paris-Nice, and it's a race that suits him. And with such a weak field of contenders he could even win.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Oh, and Volta a Catalunya is the biggest bestest one week stage race.

Afterall, it had Contador, Scarponi, Basso, Evans, etc etc etc etc last year.

With a better parcours like some of the previous years we could've seen a good battle. One MTF and 6 bunch sprints is a bit of let down with a field like that.

will10 said:
With a better parcours like some of the previous years we could've seen a good battle. One MTF and 6 bunch sprints is a bit of let down with a field like that.
It was quite entertaining though, to see guys like Dan Martin and Uran finish on the podium on completely flat stages due to there being no sprinters there at all.

Birdsong not a happy camper??

Jakob Fuglsang: “I’m not certain that I want to be here right now”
by Ben Atkins at 11:46 AM EST

Danish prodigy already expressing doubts over his future at captain-heavy RadioShack Nissan team
The year is less than two weeks old, and the season has yet to start in earnest, but Jakob Fuglsang is already beginning to have doubts over his future presence in the RadioShack Nissan team. The 25-year-old was a member of the Leopard Trek team in 2011, whose roster makes up just under half the roster of the newly merged team, but the influx of race captains, following the sponsors across from last year’s RadioShack team, makes him wonder how often he will get to race for himself.

With the Giro d’Italia starting in his home nation of Denmark, and with competition for places at the Tour de France now looking to be fierce, Fuglsang will likely lead RadioShack Nissan in the Italian race.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-want-to-be-here-right-now.aspx#ixzz1jMI1W1QJ

TRENDING THREADS