• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 183 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:

"PEZ: It sounds Like Merckx wants riders to be like he was, winning Classics and Tours and everything. He said that Boasson Hagen only needs to lose some weight he would be up there. Do you think times have changed too much for that?

It would be easier if Contador wins Liege and then he would win everything! He has already won everything, so if he wins Liege we have this rider."

Gilbert dissing Pozzato:

PEZ: You hear of riders never drinking alcohol and not even going to bed with their girlfriend for the whole season.

Philippe: Oh yea! That’s freaky! Bad for them, they don’t know what they are doing.

phil-fiets.jpg

==

I like that :p

Not general news, but a general question, what happened to Tropicale Amissa Bongo? It's usually on around this time? And I don't see Giro di Sardegna anywhere on the calendar...?

edit: never mind Sardegna, seems like it's happening but they just haven't updated the official website yet. Ugh, and the Gabon race has been moved to April (uhh, wtf?). I should JFGI, eh?

Zam_Olyas said:

this should already happen.it's a natural decision.
it worries me that it will be word tour,how many spots for the colombians will remain?i think the world tour teams should be just 14-15 max.and then i will agree with it.
the area is huge potential for a killer race for the climbers,imagine contador and other big guns fighting infantino on santa elena:D

skidmark said:
Not general news, but a general question, what happened to Tropicale Amissa Bongo? It's usually on around this time? And I don't see Giro di Sardegna anywhere on the calendar...?

edit: never mind Sardegna, seems like it's happening but they just haven't updated the official website yet. Ugh, and the Gabon race has been moved to April (uhh, wtf?). I should JFGI, eh?

Gabon (and Equatorial Guinea) currently host the Cup of African Nations in football. La Tropicale was pushed to April because running both events almost simultaneously was out of the question, and cycling is, if we're honest with ourselves, the smaller sport.
It'll be back in January from next year.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Best news Ive ever heard from the UCI. Medellin is perfect for cycling. Steep inclines and huge fanbase.

The problem is a race like that being WT leaves next to room for the Colombians that should be riding such a race.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
luckyboy said:
Not keen on the idea of races going straight to WorldTour, but if China gets to do it then Colombia should get one.

I agree on that.
As for invitation, you'd probably see Coldeportes and Androni having an invitation plus the 1st ranked american team? Just guessing.
Or something like they have done with Tour Down Under (AIS) and Tour of Beijing (National Team).

On a less serious note, Boonen is fully supporting the event.

scaled.php

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Cycling fever are reporting that Team Miche have been excluded from racing the GP Etruschi by Italian Fed :eek:

Anyone know any more about this?