• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
issoisso said:
You heard that Rubes? As your dad says: "Get a goddamn job" :D

Rabobank's generations of talent are scary to be frank. Not just Dennis, but Goos, Kelderman, and the ones that are already proving themselves as big name riders.

It's mind boggling how they find so much talent. Speaks volumes about their development program.

Now if only Vermeltfoort would get a grip

now isso be a nice portuguese guy and describe what's the situation on our talent pool :p i am being serious here to be honest.

and the dutchies have been mighty impressive over the last few years developing talent

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
now isso be a nice portuguese guy and describe what's the situation on our talent pool :p i am being serious here to be honest.

and the dutchies have been mighty impressive over the last few years developing talent

Well, there's Rafael Reis and.....uhh.......I don't have much faith in the other youth riders to be honest.

The ones who already turned pro are a very nice bunch though. Oliveira's on his way to being a decent all rounder with quite a good TT, and Cardoso is lethal on an uphill sprint. Machado seems to have stalled at his current level for a few years now though, who knows when or if he'll make the jump.

Meanwhile Costa is suffering from the crippling underspecialization that successful U-23s usually go through when turning pro. Which is to say that like other top U-23 riders, he finds that while being good at everything is a great way to win a lot in U-23s, once you turn pro and the level is so much higher, the guys who win are the ones who are one-dimensional but great at that single dimension. If you're good but not great at a lot of things, you're going to be looking at a collection of "good placings" but not many wins. See Visconti, Giovanni.

issoisso said:
Well, there's Rafael Reis and.....uhh.......I don't have much faith in the other youth riders to be honest.

The ones who already turned pro are a very nice bunch though. Oliveira's on his way to being a decent all rounder with quite a good TT, and Cardoso is lethal on an uphill sprint. Machado seems to have stalled at his current level for a few years now though, who knows when or if he'll make the jump.

Meanwhile Costa is suffering from the crippling underspecialization that successful U-23s usually go through when turning pro. Which is to say that like other top U-23 riders, he finds that while being good at everything is a great way to win a lot in U-23s, once you turn pro and the level is so much higher, the guys who win are the ones who are one-dimensional but great at that single dimension. If you're good but not great at a lot of things, you're going to be looking at a collection of "good placings" but not many wins. See Visconti, Giovanni.

i see. . . not the best news then :eek: i do have a guy in my class who used to train with rafael reis and rode as an junior and says that rafael is an absolute beast but i have never seen him ride so i don't know.

machado really needs to make the jump this season and show some improvement, he is already on a decent level but not one that will give him leadership on a WT team.

well costa has already begun his specialization last year, he has slimmed down a few kilos last season and i wouldn't be surprised if he lost a couple more this season, seems like his goal is some type of valverde kind of rider, great on the ardennes and trying to ride a few GT's for a top 10. honestly i was very impressed last year when he stayed on contador's and schlecks wheel on the alpe stage, so his climbing is certainly better but i don't know if its on a level to do well in GT's.

oliveira has said that he wants to go for GC in GT's, don't you think that's bit too ambitious coming from a guy that always had troubles climbing as an u23? and what cardoso do you mean? manuel or andre? i honestly think andre can do great things on the mountains and hilly classics if given a chance

theyoungest said:
Reading a recent interview with Rohan Dennis, I actually think the guys at Rabo Continental learn to be pretty self-dependent and responsible. For him it was a difference from his time in the Aussie program.

And if you look at the new wave of Dutch riders, Gesink, Mollema, Kruijswijk... these guys aren't lazy. Gesink even seems to be slightly obsessed with training and taking care of himself. And, as Dekker_T says, they all reached the top-10 of a GT before turning 25.

I really admire Rabobank's overall dedication to the sport at all levels.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i see. . . not the best news then :eek: i do have a guy in my class who used to train with rafael reis and rode as an junior and says that rafael is an absolute beast but i have never seen him ride so i don't know.

I was impressed that he placed so well in his first Roubaix. That shows class.

Parrulo said:
machado really needs to make the jump this season and show some improvement, he is already on a decent level but not one that will give him leadership on a WT team.

Last year was his first year doing GTs. If he ever makes a jump, this is the year.

Parrulo said:
oliveira has said that he wants to go for GC in GT's, don't you think that's bit too ambitious coming from a guy that always had troubles climbing as an u23?

Exactly. For that reason I doubt he can improve to the level required to be a GC threat.

Parrulo said:
and what cardoso do you mean? manuel or andre? i honestly think andre can do great things on the mountains and hilly classics if given a chance

I mean the guy from my hometown who shares my name. I'll leave it at that :p

oh u . . . i am going with andre because you are too young to be named manuel :p

btw what was rafael's placing on roubaix? my friend told me he thought he was going to become a climber/ GC guy :eek:

also what do you think about costa? is this the right way for him or should he focus on ardennes and cobbles like movistar wanted him to do?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
btw what was rafael's placing on roubaix? my friend told me he thought he was going to become a climber/ GC guy :eek:

I believe he was 5th or 6th or something. In national races he's shown he can't climb with the real climbers. He goes for stage wins.

Parrulo said:
also what do you think about costa? is this the right way for him or should he focus on ardennes and cobbles like movistar wanted him to do?

No idea. I just hope it works out for him.

issoisso said:
I believe he was 5th or 6th or something. In national races he's shown he can't climb with the real climbers. He goes for stage wins.

No idea. I just hope it works out for him.

i didn't know that, let hope the cobbles suit, still he is only 19 or so, so he has time to improve i guess

and ya that's exactly what i think about costa.

very nice from cesena fans:

AmCVVgECMAEwqhp.jpg

TRENDING THREADS