• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders General topic for riders who don't deserve their own thread (yet)

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the shadow of la Vuelta, two very interesting things happened in Spanish amateur circuit yesterday. Firstly, Dylan Jimenez won in Baranbio. He is a 20 year old Costa Rican, who has been racing with Lizarte this year (Kern Pharma's feeder team). He had been doing great work for his teammates, who now are either on stagiaire or full contracts with Kern Pherma, all season but in their absence finally got a W. On a very steep wall in Garrastaxu, twice the length of the Mur de Huy, with percentages exceeding 20%. He can be described as a climbing time trialist, looks very promising. I wouldn't mind Oroz throwing a contract at him too.

On the other hand, Edgar Cadena won in Salamanca after demolishing everyone on the Las Batuecas climb. This kid from Mexico is just a pure climber. He won the queen stage in Vuelta a Colombia earlier in the year on Alto del Vino (> 2800 meters in altitude), and has done pretty well in l'Avenir considering his entire team abandoned the race before even seeing a hill, much less a mountain. He has been riding with Telcom, and thus will follow in Vinicius foot steps, who won the race last year. Unzue, you know what to do. Sign him up.
Cadena has had my Attention since the Vuelta a Colombia.
Hailemichael has also been living up to his potential shown in the u23 and junior on the Caja Rural developmental team, after a rather underwealming time at Delko. He's a sub-50kg lightweight climber, pretty much an Ethiopian version of Rujano.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Chucky got another win today, in stage 2 of the Volta a Galicia. Kiwi Alex White won the first stage from the breakaway after soloing to take a commanding lead of over two and a half minutes over the péloton (the remains of the breakaway were in between) so still holds the yellow jersey, but with an MTF at La Manzaneda tomorrow (this profile from the village at km8 to the Estación de Esquí at km21) and his lead being cut to just over a minute today, it seems he will have a hard time holding on on the final climb.

There's even some pretty decent coverage - today's last 40km are here with a punchy finish after a cat.2 climb where some small gaps were created.

Having looked into it a bit more, his disappointing 2021 season does have a bit more context; in addition to 2020 being what it was for most of us, at the end of the year his girlfriend and her father were both killed in a training accident and so he had a bit of a tumultuous relationship with the bicycle for a few months there before he settled back into racing, but obviously the season was pretty heavily disrupted. I think Unzué needs to take a look; the most successful Lizarte guy this season has been Pablo Castrillo (Jaime's brother) who I think will be better served joining his brother on Kern Pharma, and I think with performances in both Colombia and Spain, Cadena has earned a spot on results alone more than Rangel last year and at least as much as González two years ago.

Edit: 3rd for Chucky on La Manzaneda, a minute behind Fernando Tercero who got into a move on the penultimate climb. He's got some good results and is in Eolo-Kometa's amateur lineup so is likely to go pro with them. Saúl Burgos, a Colombian who like Cadena is also riding for Telco.m, was in the move with him, and came in 2nd between the two. If you look at the Vuelta a Salamanca, when Cadena attacked, Burgos monitored Tercero behind and they ended up making up the GC podium there too. Tercero is only 20 though so well worth keeping an eye on as well.

And a little way behind them was Barry Miller, the 33-year-old ex-doper who just finished 6th and 9th in Volta a Portugal summit finishes againdt the August machines.

Last edited:
This seemed like the most fitting place to post this:

313025189_5756998261009559_4570645305088900886_n.jpg

When will this good man finally arrive at WT/PCT level? Impressive results, wins nice races every year, apparently shows elite working ethics, has the right age, and an interesting nationality…

Nice start at Saudi Tour, 2023, also… Hope to see him transfer to a WT or Pro Conti Team sooner or later…

FoO3FhkWYAI7f0N

Posted this in the MTB section earlier too, but feel like it might be more road related. Here we see Martin Vidaurre win the ultimate stage in Porvenir in San Luis, Argentina. Thanks to boni this also won him the GC, after finishing 3rd on the MTF queen stage in Juana Koslay too. He's the U23 World Champion from '21, was pretty much invincible in '22 but somehow did lose the rainbow stripes in Les Gets. He'll be riding for Specialized next year, which, who knows, might give him a way to BORA, although his road interests seem limited.

When will this good man finally arrive at WT/PCT level? Impressive results, wins nice races every year, apparently shows elite working ethics, has the right age, and an interesting nationality…

Nice start at Saudi Tour, 2023, also… Hope to see him transfer to a WT or Pro Conti Team sooner or later…

Also a contender for "Coolest name in the peloton"!

Oh yeah, he's a quality rider who probably deserves a chance at PCT level. Kinda surprised that Astana never gave him a chance, or Gazprom when they were still around.

Some Mongolian riders are just hard as nails. I remember reading an interview with Tegsh-bayar Batsaikhan when he talked about them still training on the road during the winter around Ulan-Batar, when it's -20 to -25 °C and I've seen some footage when they were training with those kind of conditions (sadly I can't find them right now).
Speaking of Tegshi, he actually surprised me recently in the Tour of Sharjah. 19th on the MTF, 2min behind his teammate Van Engelen. I didn't expect him to climb that well, after all he's a track cycling scratch guy who came up through the UCI developmental team and won the junior WC without his country even having a velodrome.

Oh yeah, he's a quality rider who probably deserves a chance at PCT level. Kinda surprised that Astana never gave him a chance, or Gazprom when they were still around.

Some Mongolian riders are just hard as nails. I remember reading an interview with Tegsh-bayar Batsaikhan when he talked about them still training on the road during the winter around Ulan-Batar, when it's -20 to -25 °C and I've seen some footage when they were training with those kind of conditions (sadly I can't find them right now).
Speaking of Tegshi, he actually surprised me recently in the Tour of Sharjah. 19th on the MTF, 2min behind his teammate Van Engelen. I didn't expect him to climb that well, after all he's a track cycling scratch guy who came up through the UCI developmental team and won the junior WC without his country even having a velodrome.

Thanks a lot for your interesting comment! :) Now that somehow makes me want to know more about Mongolian semi professionals… I‘ll go checking Batsaikhans history, career and results, as soon as possible… :)

Read an interview this week with Tim Carswell, who is the head coach of the Belgian track team. He is, however, also the father of Jack Carswell, one of the most promising riders of the 2003 generation. He still holds the world record on the individual pursuit for the U17 class, which he broke when he was just 15 years old. He got hit hard by the covid pandemic, wasn't able to race at all and saw both his junior seasons go up in smoke. It looks like Jack has retired and is now a rock climber and canoeist. Damn shame.

Read an interview this week with Tim Carswell, who is the head coach of the Belgian track team. He is, however, also the father of Jack Carswell, one of the most promising riders of the 2003 generation. He still holds the world record on the individual pursuit for the U17 class, which he broke when he was just 15 years old. He got hit hard by the covid pandemic, wasn't able to race at all and saw both his junior seasons go up in smoke. It looks like Jack has retired and is now a rock climber and canoeist. Damn shame.

All the best to him then. Hope he‘s careful when climbing. And has more luck than Adrien Costa: retiring despite World Tour offer, then rock climbing, then sadly losing a leg when climbing.

Rockclimbing can be dangerous. But to be honest, road cycle racing can be dangerous, too.

(Maybe young Carswell returns to racing one day, hangs from a bridge one day (like Valentin Ferron), and will be happy about his rockclimbing skills… :) )

I'm only going by that photo, but it does not appear that his teammate (No 94, Swift?) has the same type of padding. Also, Plapp is in the white jersey skinsuit, which is usually provided by whatever kit provider is in league with the race organiser. So is it their innovation rather than that of Ineos/Bioracer?

Awh, you said you had me on ignore, and now here you are responding to me. <sad face>

You might want to check out the tech advice before offering it.
Can't remember when i addressed you to inform you i had you on ignore. Perhaps you read it on my profile page. If you don't like reading my response, feel free to put me on ignore. I sometimes show ignored messages when i it seems i am missing context in a conversation. Which is what happened. Not sure what tech advice i should be checking out, since it works pretty well for me. Anyway, good luck and as always, it's been a pleasure.

I'm only going by that photo, but it does not appear that his teammate (No 94, Swift?) has the same type of padding. Also, Plapp is in the white jersey skinsuit, which is usually provided by whatever kit provider is in league with the race organiser. So is it their innovation rather than that of Ineos/Bioracer?

I think it was a messed up skinsuit. If we look at Plapp's left leg, the Ineos logo is also upside down.

And Alé doesn't seem to offer that kind of skinsuit even to the teams they sponsor like Groupama.

So the team was confident enough to have produced a white skinsuit for him, assuming that he would be top young rider after a first stage that would have been expected to go to a sprint. That is some level of cockiness. (I'm assuming the manufacture and distribution in less than 24 hours is implausible)

TRENDING THREADS