• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent-Wevelgem (men’s) 2024 (Sunday, March 24)

You people know you can put up a thread yourself, right? It’s not like an OP for a classic needs to be that extensive…

Either way: time for the second monument-length race of the year - the cobbled classic with only three cobbled sectors that is great anyway. With Jumbo sending a B-team, it would normally be a slam dunk for Van der Poel, but the wind and rain might throw a curveball…

Startlist

Route
Same as usual - De Moeren, three ascents of Kemmelberg from two different sides, and some leg-softening stuff in between.

Approximate timings: start at 10:05, De Moeren at 13:05, first time up Kemmelberg at 14:30, final time up Kemmelberg at 15:35, finish at 16:20.

kqzrxGSvR9nJdezZRESasA-1200-80.png

Gand-Wevelgem-2024-Altimetria.jpg

Thanks for starting up the thread!
A windy day will blow up the expected sprint finish or maybe a reduced sprint group finish. QS ears will still be ringing after Lefereves out burst after E3 so expect them to be busy at the front to begin with but if they miss a break, they'll want to avoid Lefereve afterwards!

Last edited:
A big question is whether MvdP will try to win himself or work for Philipsen. Both have a chance to win three classics in nine days.
Yep, this is an important question. VdP uses a lot of energy on Friday. Will he try something similar today or work for Phillipsen? I suspect more of the latter unless he can join a very suitable breakway.

The race can be very interesting. Jumbo are without most of their top riders and therefore can enforce an immense team strength today. If echelons don't alter the race completely, this could be an opportunity for guys that very rarely wins big races. The first that comes to mind are Küng and Politt. And perhaps Benoot. A breakway containing some of these or similar riders vs some sprinter teams that chases to creat a group sprint for guys like Phllipsen, De Lie, Merlier, etc.

They predict a heavy east wind and rain. This makes echelons more likely.

A big question is whether MvdP will try to win himself or work for Philipsen. Both have a chance to win three classics in nine days.
West wind.
In the Moeren, that's cross wind.

Finale will be a 55K/hr affair with slight crosswind / tailwind, so perfect for big engines to simply rip it apart dropping riders from the wheel.

Even if MvdP and Philipsen are both in the finale, Philipsen will need very good legs to deal with the wind situation.

I hope for strong breakaways before the final run to Wevelgem, without favourites, so favourites have to work hard in echelons.

Ah, oversight on my part. Gotta wonder about the wisdom of skipping this, though.
Van Aert is not racing because of the altitude preparation - or that's what Visma said at least.

According to the team, there are usually swings of shape just after returning from altitude. Good for the first days, then a drop of form, before hitting its top the week after. So by returning later than usual, they sacrificed Gent Wevelgem for potentially better shape in the Ronde.

Reactions: Sandisfan
No idea how, but cycling needs to be more adaptive and flexible with its tv schedule. This weather will cause a murder scene, yet we'll see none of it. On the other hand, we'll be seeing every centimeter of De Ronde, even if it's a satisfying breeze at a sunny 16 degrees celsius.
I'm not entirely sure viewing numbers are gonna skyrocket just cause the weather is bad, other than that people may decide to stay inside and watch tv cause the weather is bad.

I'm not entirely sure viewing numbers are gonna skyrocket just cause the weather is bad, other than that people may decide to stay inside and watch tv cause the weather is bad.
I think the explanation from Sporza after the Omloop kinda made sense: they want proper TV coverage, which needs a plane and a helicopter, and therefor a pre-arranged working window, which is also limited to fuel capacities etc. It's understandable that they don't want to pay for a 2nd plane to be able to air 30 minutes more.

But still, it would be very welcome if they'd be prepared to offer a crappy 4G/5G stream early instead, like the Giro used to do a couple of years ago.

Reactions: jmdirt and Volderke
I think the explanation from Sporza after the Omloop kinda made sense: they want proper TV coverage, which needs a plane and a helicopter, and therefor a pre-arranged working window, which is also limited to fuel capacities etc. It's understandable that they don't want to pay for a 2nd plane to be able to air 30 minutes more.

But still, it would be very welcome if they'd be prepared to offer a crappy 4G/5G stream early instead, like the Giro used to do a couple of years ago.
Just gimme the drone footage. I'm surprised that hasn't really taken off yet.

Reactions: jmdirt
Just gimme the drone footage. I'm surprised that hasn't really taken off yet.
Was it the year Mohoric rode away on the descent in MSR they shot it from the drone or was it last year even?

When Pog broke MVDP last year in Flanders?

Or have I dreamed that.

Feels like it would be perfect to use the drone when the rode is narrow or technical descents and so on.

An alternative for early coverage as well.

Reactions: jmdirt