• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 27, 2013
gillan1969 said:
"That is a lot of weight to lose and I totally agree with you. What do we do to get to that kind of weight loss? They're the types of questions that would be legitimate to answer. I don't think there's any great secret in that."
"And believe me, we want to answer. And we will answer. And when we answer, our answer will blow you away. Because he have good answers. The best. Bigly."

Nothing to do with Thomas personality because he seems to be like a good likeable guy. But I think he is IMHO the worst winner in the history of the Tour de France (post war). It lowered the bar too much on requirements of a winner. Thanks UCI.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Nothing to do with Thomas personality because he seems to be like a good likeable guy. But I think he is IMHO the worst winner in the history of the Tour de France (post war). It lowered the bar too much on requirements of a winner. Thanks UCI.
He literally
Attacked on one stage under 1km to go and another under 5km to go because everyone watched the 4 time champion. It’s literally the most piss weak Champion ever.

Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
Escarabajo said:
He literally
Attacked on one stage under 1km to go and another under 5km to go because everyone watched the 4 time champion. It’s literally the most piss weak Champion ever.
Feel freee to asterisk his win then.....it seems like it’s the done thing about here

Scarponi said:
Escarabajo said:
He literally
So a few weeks ago he was another example of Sky's ridiculous doping programme transforming a trackie into a super strong GT winner....now it's just a case of the bar being set so low that a 'piss weak' trackie can come along and win it.

So was he on Sky's magic programme but still piss weak? Does that mean that Sky's programme wasn't so magic after all? And what happened to Froome...surely he was still on the magic programme but somehow got beat by a piss weak trackie/classics wannabe?

I'm confused :confused:

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Floyd?

I have much less problem with Thomas winning than I would have if Froome had won. Thomas raced smartly (unlike, say, Yates in the Giro), TT'd well as you'd expect, and used his classics experience to avoid problems in the cobbles. If it's clinic-related, he's also avoided any direct implication. We may believe Thomas is dirty, and he likely is, and we might detest Sky for very good reasons -- but in the scheme of things he stacks up pretty well against most one-time TdF winners.

brownbobby said:
Scarponi said:
Escarabajo said:
He literally
So a few weeks ago he was another example of Sky's ridiculous doping programme transforming a trackie into a super strong GT winner....now it's just a case of the bar being set so low that a 'piss weak' trackie can come along and win it.

Yeah you are confused alright. He had no business being in that position in the first place

So was he on Sky's magic programme but still piss weak? Does that mean that Sky's programme wasn't so magic after all? And what happened to Froome...surely he was still on the magic programme but somehow got beat by a piss weak trackie/classics wannabe?

veganrob said:
brownbobby said:
Scarponi said:
Escarabajo said:
He literally

Yeah you are confused alright. He had no business being in that position in the first place

There you go, i've helpfully highlighted the words which you embedded without distinction within the body of my original post....just to avoid further confusing those amongst us who are easily confused :cool:

Scarponi said:
Escarabajo said:
He literally
You don't know what literally means do you?

weak? thomas is more of an ordinary tour champion. it's not like all previous editions always included someone smashing others uphill. yes, thomas didn't knock out anyone in the mountains, but he's never been even remotely close to showing weakness. that was impressive

Jan 3, 2013
so GT not going to the Worlds (neither CF) citing fatigue...fishy, no? specially considering GT didnt race two GTs....or maybe both of them are just out of shape...

Re:

gmedina said:
so GT not going to the Worlds (neither CF) citing fatigue...fishy, no? specially considering GT didnt race two GTs....or maybe both of them are just out of shape...
Why is it fishy? He's been celebrating, doing sponsor stuff, criteriums and probably very little training. This is normal for a first time Tour winners. Here's what the others did:

2007: Contador's only race was the Tour of Missouri for his US sponsors - he came 19th
2008: Sastre is the exception. He rode seriously getting a Vuelta podium
2010: Schleck didn't know he'd won yet, but still got sent home from the Vuelta for drinking
2011: Evans's only race was the Tour of Colorado for his US team
2012: Wiggins won the Olympics, but then treated the Tour of Britain as a pub crawl
2013: Froome did a bit of racing in North America to little effect, but contributed to Sky's world's TTT bronze
2014: Nibali did a couple of Italian one day races and came 40th at the Worlds, then did a race in Kazakhstan

Re:

gmedina said:
Yeah, the most fishy thing I've ever seen. Definitely doping. FFS :confused:

Parker said:
gmedina said:
Why is it fishy? He's been celebrating, doing sponsor stuff, criteriums and probably very little training. This is normal for a first time Tour winners. Here's what the others did:

2007: Contador's only race was the Tour of Missouri for his US sponsors - he came 19th
2010: Schleck didn't know he'd won yet, but still got sent home from the Vuelta for drinking
2012: Wiggins won the Olympics, but then treated the Tour of Britain as a pub crawl
2013: Froome did a bit of racing in North America to little effect, but contributed to Sky's world's TTT bronze
2014: Nibali did a couple of Italian one day races and came 40th at the Worlds, then did a race in Kazakhstan
It's the best chance and perhaps only chance for climbers to win the WC in ages Parker...

LaFlorecita said:
Parker said:
gmedina said:

It's the best chance and perhaps only chance for climbers to win the WC in ages Parker...

maybe, just maybe they need a rest

brownbobby said:
gmedina said:
Yeah, the most fishy thing I've ever seen. Definitely doping. FFS :confused:
Yep - do GTs and the Worlds : doping. Do GTs but not worlds (as fatigued) : fishy and therefore must be doping.

Where's old Benotti when we need him ...

You also have to consider that somebody being a pro cyclist doesn't necessarily mean they are a fan of the sport. I've often heard about football players for example who don't give a *** about the sport and never watch it if they don't have to.

Thomas strikes me as the kind of guy who maybe doesn't care about the rainbow jersey, but only doing his job at Sky.

Jun 30, 2014

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
maybe, just maybe they need a rest
They had weeks to rest after the Tour and could have skipped Tour of Britain and Poland (?) in Thomas' case
Yes Froome did the double, Thomas didn't.
I don't see why they'd want to miss out on such a chance
He has a one day racing pedigree (ok, mainly cobbled classics, but in Rio he was still better than Froome), so you'd assume that he'd give it a try, same with the ITT.
On the other hand, in recent memory I can't name a single rider who has still done something relevant durning the Autumn after winning his first Tour.

If it was me and I’d just won my first tour, you wouldn’t find me doing any autumn races..I’d be smashed on hookers and cocaine and would probably have my own thread in the clinic my life style would be that crazy

Aug 2, 2012
...so now G/da dawg skipping the worlds 'cos sagan is riding /they consider they have zero chance of winning

is evidence of doping...............

Mark L

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS