Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There’s nothing weird about him skipping the worlds. He has been living like a particularly ascetic monk for a long time. Since he won the Tour, he has dropped that lifestyle for a more enjoyable one. Consequently the Worlds are not a once in a lifetime opportunity, just a chance to be embarrassed as people talk him up for a race he’s not fit for.

You have to remember that Merckx and Roche and other riders who had some similar year of season long dominance were insane. Thomas is a bit more like the rest of us.

Apr 23, 2016
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
who had some similar year of season long dominance
Smoke much? Lots of GT bots on the forum. My theory is that the fix is in for Yates (the one who claims he's not dominating the Vuelta) to win and neither GT or Froomsickle want any part of that.

Personally, I'm more excited for the squad Matt B has selected than anything Ellingworth put together since Cavendish really. Thomas deserves to kick back and enjoy his win. Froome doesn't have anything to prove and maybe he put his new baby above training for another 2 months to stay on top for one days racing never won in same year by a Giro winner since Hinault anyway.
Sure it's 5000m climbing, but it's not 2500 then another 2500 so it isn't suited to threshold riding and probably not controllable to be that either by GB to bring the race to Frooomes stengths. I'd say Yates is as good as Froome & Thomas given their calendar anyway.

Re:

samhocking said:
Personally, I'm more excited for the squad Matt B has selected than anything Ellingworth put together since Cavendish really. Thomas deserves to kick back and enjoy his win. Froome doesn't have anything to prove and maybe he put his new baby above training for another 2 months to stay on top for one days racing never won in same year by a Giro winner since Hinault anyway.
Sure it's 5000m climbing, but it's not 2500 then another 2500 so it isn't suited to threshold riding and probably not controllable to be that either by GB to bring the race to Froome's strengths. I'd say Yates is as good as Froome & Thomas given their calendar anyway.
I think you've mistaken this for a road racing forum......'normalised froome'.........at least Thomas and Yates have had the decency to knock out some world class performances pre-mid 20's' before being world champ potentials.....

Froome has a lot to "prove"......like how he transformed about this time 7 years ago......

maybe he'll get a dirt track in Africa named after him..............

Thomas said he hadn't been home for over 90 days because he was on training camps and racing before Tour de France, so he was training and racing out of a suitcase for over 4 months straight. If you compare this to the approach of e.g. Movistar who don't have any training camps and all their riders go home to train between races, I can see carrying on for another 2 months away from home racing and training for Worlds is a big ask when it's just one day and never won by Tour winners anyway. If i'd been away that long, regardless of just having a baby too, I would go home.

Re:

samhocking said:
Thomas said he hadn't been home for over 90 days because he was on training camps and racing before Tour de France, so he was training and racing out of a suitcase for over 4 months straight. If you compare this to the approach of e.g. Movistar who don't have any training camps and all their riders go home to train between races, I can see carrying on for another 2 months away from home racing and training for Worlds is a big ask when it's just one day and never won by Tour winners anyway. If i'd been away that long, regardless of just having a baby too, I would go home.
You seriously believe Movistar don't have training camps??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuRs65KH2MQ

http://movistarteam.com/en/2018-01-22/mini-training-camp-rafa-nadal-sports-centre-mallorca-challenge

May 26, 2010
Re:

samhocking said:
Sky the miracle performers. Geraint Thomas wins the TdF at the ripe old age of 32 and gives birth too!

Is there nothing Sky cant do?

JosephK said:
No takers today after Stage 6 vertical takeoff from G? . . . Forum was down for a while.
What is there to say. People were expecting Bernal. Then Thomas takes off, yet nobody is the least bit surprised, cause it's the special kind of horse manure we've been seeing the last 8 Tours.

Red Rick said:
JosephK said:
No takers today after Stage 6 vertical takeoff from G? . . . Forum was down for a while.
What is there to say. People were expecting Bernal. Then Thomas takes off, yet nobody is the least bit surprised, cause it's the special kind of horse manure we've been seeing the last 8 Tours.
I found a hilarious post on one of today's CN articles from a poster called "eminusx":

". . . what's more, Team Sky actually discovered Geraint when he was a homeless busker, he'd never ridden a bike in his life, smoked 50 cigarettes a day and only had one leg. . . it's [a] testament to Sky's 'programme' that he's come this far from literally zero, less than zero even, truly remarkable."

Red Rick said:
JosephK said:
Maybe he'll get the five Tours before Froome. He's only 33.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
JosephK said:
Maybe he'll get the five Tours before Froome. He's only 33.
Nah they gotta win multiple Tours with bottle carriers from every former British colony.

Next up: The Virgin Islands.

Red Rick said:
JosephK said:
This. I'm not surprised by anything from Sky. They've made such a big mockery out of the race that the only thing left is laugh.

Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
JosephK said:
This. I'm not surprised by anything from Sky. They've made such a big mockery out of the race that the only thing left is laugh.
Yup

It must be a bit nerve racking for the 'great DB though, to have two leaders who are both (relatively) crash prone.

BTW, hilarious that some pundits have noted that G's climbing is typically on par with other racers (e.g. Fugl), suggesting last year was in any way a normal representation of what G was capable of when it was actually quite a marked jump up in performance. FFS

Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
JosephK said:

This. The beach looks a lot more fun and useful than any more of this race as well.

Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
JosephK said:
Maybe you missed the Amstrong years? Were they a mockery? Or the Indurain years? Were they a mockery

What about the intervening years, with Pantani, Ulrich and Riis, not a mockery?

No?

What about post Armstrong? Landis? Or Contador, with one win revoked through doping, and the other wins tainted with the knowledge that he is a doper?

Pre-Sky the only two years that were not a total open mockery were Sastre and Evan's, but dont lift the edge of the carpet too high...

What about that wonderful oasis of purity, 2014, when Sky didnt win? Oh yes, Nibali. Riding for Astana. Heard of them? :lol: Managed by Vinokourov FFS, a man who's only redeeming feature is that he makes absolutely no attempt to deny, because he absolutely doesn't give a FK.

So, sorry, what was it you were saying about Sky making a mockery of the race :lol: :lol:

Hey, let's all cheer on Fulsgang (Astana, Vinokourov), or Kriswiijk (J-L, born from the corpse of dope-soaked Rabobank) or maybe just forget about the GC and cheer on the panache of world champion Valverde..

Oops.

Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
JosephK said:
oh yeah, for once sky made a mockery out the race by thomas putting 5-7'' into pinot and a few other guys and by bernal bonking in the last 300 meters. :)
reality not matching hopes is never pleasant, but there is a still long way to go.

macbindle said:
Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
JosephK said:
Maybe you missed the Amstrong years? Were they a mockery? Or the Indurain years? Were they a mockery

What about the intervening years, with Pantani, Ulrich and Riis, not a mockery?

No?

What about post Armstrong? Landis? Or Contador, with one win revoked through doping, and the other wins tainted with the knowledge that he is a doper?

Pre-Sky the only two years that were not a total open mockery were Sastre and Evan's, but dont lift the edge of the carpet too high...

What about that wonderful oasis of purity, 2014, when Sky didnt win? Oh yes, Nibali. Riding for Astana. Heard of them? :lol: Managed by Vinokourov FFS, a man who's only redeeming feature is that he makes absolutely no attempt to deny, because he absolutely doesn't give a FK.

So, sorry, what was it you were saying about Sky making a mockery of the race :lol: :lol:

Hey, let's all cheer on Fulsgang (Astana, Vinokourov), or Kriswiijk (J-L, born from the corpse of dope-soaked Rabobank) or maybe just forget about the GC and cheer on the panache of world champion Valverde..

Oops.
Yes, because one team having the strongest rider and dominating one race every single year for 8! years (and sometimes 2! riders in one race) is totally the norm in history. The closest was USPS and they only did it with one rider. Sky did it with 3!

Cheating has been prevalent in sports since the start and will be, but this kind of dominance isn't that much prevalent. Even USPS did it with only one rider. Sky did it with Wiggins, Froome and now with Thomas.

And the only one that came close to this was USPS and given how they were/are viewed from the crowd (hint: similar to how people are viewing Sky now) your attempt to whitewash is quite pathetic.

Also, all of the 3 showed absolutely nothing as a GC rider in young age and made ludicrous transformations.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS