• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Hakkapelit said:
CK7ZYenW8AEI_Os.jpg

From twittorz

Really interesting numbers. More to come from Bobby G!

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Today abandoned his training after an hour.

Doesn't look too well for TDF

Would not mind him taking a break and focusing 100% at the Vuelta. If he shows up in Spain in top form he would have a really good chance of winning. No need to go to France and just make your way around the country without a real chance of either a good GC, polka dot or stage hunting.

Re: Re:

Walkman said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Would not mind him taking a break and focusing 100% at the Vuelta. If he shows up in Spain in top form he would have a really good chance of winning. No need to go to France and just make your way around the country without a real chance of either a good GC, polka dot or stage hunting.

A rider with a long history of crashing out of big races, even when in good position
A team with a long history of riders crashing out of big races, especially when in good position
A nation with a long history of failing or crashing when in good position.

I'm not getting my hopes up. And besides, I don't think fresh Gesink is better then tired Froome, Quintana, or Contador. Then there's others he's probably not beating.

Re: Re:

Walkman said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I agree with red rick. Believing that he has a possibility of winning the Vuelta is a long shot. A really long one.
But he all the stars align, I can see him doing a top-3.

Re:

staubsauger said:
LOL if he goes to Spain it should be Kruijswijk's super-domestique.

In fact, he should've been just that at the Giro. But apparently Gesink's too proud to waste his “talent“ working for a stronger rider!

Cold weather and Gesink is not a great combination after his broken leg. Besides nobody predicted Kruijswijk would be doing so well at the Giro. His 'best case scenario' before the Giro would be top 5. His team was strong enough for such a position.

Also I would not call Gesink arrogant as implied by you.

Re:

staubsauger said:
LOL if he goes to Spain it should be Kruijswijk's super-domestique.

In fact, he should've been just that at the Giro. But apparently Gesink's too proud to waste his “talent“ working for a stronger rider!

I think Gesink wouldn't mind if it's really clear that other rider is better and until the Giro 2016 it wasn't clear Kruijswijk was much better.

Gesink should just look for stage wins. No one remembers top 10 finishes in GTs except the rider themselves and he has done that before. A stage win on a good stage is worth more to the team and in the fans memories. Look at Rolland. Never made a podium but had some great stage wins.

TRENDING THREADS