• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
i put it in this fred, because it has nothing to do with the giro ;) :

theyoungest said:
None of them can win Suisse, maybe Gesink himself but it remains to be seen what winning the Tour of California translates to in a strong field of contenders.

actually i really believe kruisjwijk is able to win it. i mean he already have been close to it last year. it wouldn't make any tactical sense from rabobank to let all of them focus on the tour and not giving anyone a free role for suisse.

talking about gesink to win suisse, i think we're talking about what his tactical plans are now? will he just try to get a good result in france while taking the risk to fail completly again or will he try to add suisse to his season palmares and giving mollema a more free role at the tour.

the best tactic might even be to lose a bunch of time in the first hilly stage in france and then going on to win the mountains jearsey, get some stage wins and climbing into the top 10 that way, just like garzelli did it at the giro in 2009 (altough he didn't get a win). but i doubt he'll do it that way

but from my point of view it's pretty sure robert isn't entering important races like california or suisse to just hang around there. he always have had the respect to get result there (stage win and/or general/youth's classification). i hope he's staying with that mentality

Kruijswijk was close last year in Suisse, but that was after the Giro. Just like Rodriguez in the Dauphine, these guys had a big advantage in terms of form.

I don't think it makes sense for Gesink to ride for the polka dots in the Tour, he's by far the best TTist of those three guys so it makes most sense to let him go for GC, at least until he crashes or otherwise loses lots of time.

theyoungest said:
Kruijswijk was close last year in Suisse, but that was after the Giro. Just like Rodriguez in the Dauphine, these guys had a big advantage in terms of form.

I don't think it makes sense for Gesink to ride for the polka dots in the Tour, he's by far the best TTist of those three guys so it makes most sense to let him go for GC, at least until he crashes or otherwise loses lots of time.

one swallow does not make a summer! otherwise i agree with you on that after rob's strong california time trial.

Oh stop it. As if this is the first ITT Gesink did well in.

As I said pre-2010 and after 2010, Gesink has a good time trial. I don't know what went wrong in Tdsuisse 2010 and TDF 2010, but those time trials were an anomaly. I have said that countless times and countless times I've been proven right about Gesinks ITT. It's good, probably one of the best of all the climbers. Way better than the Schlecks and capable of severely limiting the damage to Evans/Wiggins.
I've posted all examples of good ITT's in 2010 when people said he was a horrible ITT-er because of the TdS/TDF time trials. And after 2010 I've only been proven right about his ITT when it was good again.

Gesink just has a bigger engine than Mollema and Kruijswijk, and should normally always finish ahead of them on a flat TT. Mollema will probably have better form in the Tour, but the course isn't that suited to him, apart from a few explosive finishes in the first week.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Gesink just has a bigger engine than Mollema and Kruijswijk, and should normally always finish ahead of them on a flat TT. Mollema will probably have better form in the Tour, but the course isn't that suited to him, apart from a few explosive finishes in the first week.

Which place would you consider proper for Gesink?

airstream said:
Which place would you consider proper for Gesink?

Hard to tell.. they are all so close together at the top but I'd be suprised if, in top form, he didn't finish top 5 at least. Then again, we don't know where post-broken leg Gesink is in top form. It's a complete new rider after breaking your leg in 4 places. Can't really compare him with the old one anyway.

I believe when everything goes right, and I mean everything, so top form + no falls + no illness + no hunger knocks or other silly ****, he could finish podium and battle for the win. But that goes for 6/7 others as well. As I also said before.
There's ofcourse Evans and Wiggins, but also Sanchez, Menchov, Schleck (Andy), Vandenbroeck, Nibali, etc, hard to gauge which one will be better

rob already finished ahead of lance armstrong and others back in 2009 at the toc time trial. simply that's a pure indication he is and always have been a decent time trialer. anyway he managed to fail in nearly any gt tt he entered in the past. he even lost his gc spot against purito in that hilly vuelta tt back in 2008 (which should have suited him normally). so after california this year i simply have got big hope he's got the confidence now to call up his tt potential in a gt. but i still got my doubts based on his past.

well, he finally seems to have that morale, courache and winning mentality a bicycler needs after fighting all his strokes. mount baldy should be a huge breakthrough for him personal in psychic as well as physical terms!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
2008 was his first GT, he said he was tired in the third week.
2009 he did an ok tt despite the hole in his leg.
2010 he wasn't good (TT i mean), and 2011 is just a non-factor.

Gesink's biggest enemy in GT racing thus far has been lady luck.

theyoungest said:
Mollema ,apart from a few explosive finishes in the first week.

I don't know whether he will win in that first week though.

Valverde will be there and i can really envisage Liquigas ( Nibali/ Sagan ) and BMC ( Gilbert/ Evans ) controlling those stages and most likely winning.

Samu, Voeckler and a few others can also be counted.

greenedge said:
I don't know whether he will win in that first week though.

Valverde will be there and i can really envisage Liquigas ( Nibali/ Sagan ) and BMC ( Gilbert/ Evans ) controlling those stages and most likely winning.

Samu, Voeckler and a few others can also be counted.
I don't think he'll win a stage, he's not exactly a winner, but I mean it's good for him in terms of GC, he can take a few seconds here and there.

I really like Gesink and Rabo's chances in the Tour. A Clockwork Orange!
28275bf270cb33dd52594d710e5fb6ef_view.jpg

theyoungest said:
A bit quick to judge, no? Last year he didn't do anything before the Giro either. He's a three week rider.

Plus the fact that this isn't a super high cadence. Probably just a relaxed training.

It just seems that way right now. It's not impossible to improve in races that do not suit you. I'll withhold further judgment until after the TDF.

As for the high cadence thing, Gesink does that in actual races.

TRENDING THREADS