• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bavarianrider said:
His position looks good at first glance, however,
his head is actually pretty high.
He should get rid of this extra height on the handlebars. His position needs to be lower.
Look at Tony.
His head his a lot closer to the handlebars.
You mean like this?

ee9f61fa37c8104c59efc7b27f747b7b_view.jpg

Of course his head is too high. On that particular picture, he's looking up. In a TT your head needs to stay below your shoulders.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Gesink´s position could be better, but it also depends on comfort. Tony Martin can be very aerodynamic for one hour, but is still comfortable on his bike. If Gesink would try this he might lose some of his power output instead of benefitting from the lower tt position.

theyoungest said:
You mean like this?

ee9f61fa37c8104c59efc7b27f747b7b_view.jpg

Of course his head is too high. On that particular picture, he's looking up. In a TT your head needs to stay below your shoulders.

Of course this looks pretty good. If he can sustain that for one hour he will improve. But if he can do this, we'll have to see.
Surely it shows that one can really improve on his position if he tries. Makes you wonder, why the Schlecks can't do it.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
but you need those 6 months to get to a decent level, as Gesinks spring showed...

Im not playing down Gesink's injury, it was horrible and its great that he can evem find it in him to get back on a bike, im playing up Basso's injury. the face may not seem as an important part of cycling, but having a crash like that in May, when you are supposed to be getting into form, is going to mess up your Tour schedule and then some.

The Hitch said:
Im not playing down Gesink's injury, it was horrible and its great that he can evem find it in him to get back on a bike, im playing up Basso's injury. the face may not seem as an important part of cycling, but having a crash like that in May, when you are supposed to be getting into form, is going to mess up your Tour schedule and then some.

Still I'd rather have a face injury close to the Tour than a broken leg, as a cyclist.

We've seen broken legs can actually ruin careers

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Still I'd rather have a face injury close to the Tour than a broken leg, as a cyclist.

We've seen broken legs can actually ruin careers

Jesus Christ. not once did i say bassos injury was anywhere near as bad as gesinks, all i did was respond.to a post that said basso failed at the tour with the observation that he crashed and that this being the gesink thread, he.might find some.sympathy with such an extenuating circumstances explanation

but it seems that the mere suggestion that basso or any rider not named gesink, can have their tour prep ruined by crashes is perceived as some sort of attack on gesink.

This sort of obsession makes la florecitas love of contador look weak by comparison.

The Hitch said:
Jesus Christ. not once did i say bassos injury was anywhere near as bad as gesinks, all i did was respond.to a post that said basso failed at the tour with the observation that he crashed and that this being the gesink thread, he.might find some.sympathy with such an extenuating circumstances explanation
Basso didn't fail at the Tour, nowhere did I suggest that. The point was that after the Giro 2010 it was suggested he was right up there with Andy Schleck, and crash or no crash, I don't think so. Just like I think that Gesink isn't up there with Andy Schleck, even if he did crash as well in the Tour 2010.

The Hitch said:

but it seems that the mere suggestion that basso or any rider not named gesink, can have their tour prep ruined by crashes is perceived as some sort of attack on gesink.

This sort of obsession makes la florecitas love of contador look weak by comparison.

Lol. Talk about a Hitch-fit. No one has overreacted in the way your post is implicating. You're just mad that some people don't agree with what you're saying. No one has downplayed Basso's injuries, just that some think that Gesink would have rather bruised his face - unless Basso had a concussion or something of the sort - than a broken leg which required surgery and the subsequent road to recovery. He had to learn how to walk all over again. If anything I think you are the one understating the severity of Gesink's injury. Basso's face injury has not obstructed him of having a good base for the whole season compared to Gesink. Gesink's whole season might be affected by his injury, or at least the first half. Mind you, I'm not saying Basso's injury has NOT affected him en route to the Tour and I would never wish any type of injury on any rider, just that given the choice many think Gesink would have opted for the bruised face. Just because they would favor one injury over the other doesn't mean they don't sympathize with Basso, that's your flawed assumption. It's just opinions, they have theirs and you have yours.

El Pistolero said:
Theyoungest clearly downplayed his injury.

I think youngest is sick of elaborating on what he meant by that statement. It's your choice whether you believe him or not of course, but I, for one, can make sense of it. Just out of curiosity; do you think Basso could have stuck with Schleck on a proper climb had he not crashed in training? The same Schleck that went mano a mano with Conti on the Tourmalet?

El Pistolero said:
Yes, considering Andy never dropped anyone in the mountains except on his break-away stage.

Ok, I was not angling for the Tour of last year particularly but either way, that's your opinion. One more question, do you think Nibbs can be put in the same bracket as Schleck climbing-wise? There's no doubt he's the superior tt'er, at least up to this point.

Spine Concept said:
Lol. Talk about a Hitch-fit. No one has overreacted in the way your post is implicating. You're just mad that some people don't agree with what you're saying. No one has downplayed Basso's injuries, just that some think that Gesink would have rather bruised his face - unless Basso had a concussion or something of the sort - than a broken leg which required surgery and the subsequent road to recovery. He had to learn how to walk all over again. If anything I think you are the one understating the severity of Gesink's injury. Basso's face injury has not obstructed him of having a good base for the whole season compared to Gesink. Gesink's whole season might be affected by his injury, or at least the first half. Mind you, I'm not saying Basso's injury has NOT affected him en route to the Tour and I would never wish any type of injury on any rider, just that given the choice many think Gesink would have opted for the bruised face. Just because they would favor one injury over the other doesn't mean they don't sympathize with Basso, that's your flawed assumption. It's just opinions, they have theirs and you have yours.

Well put. Exactly what I meant anyway. Don't know about theyoungest but I'm pretty sure he meant this as well.

Talk about overreacting, Hitch, calm the **** down.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
Ok, I was not angling for the Tour of last year particularly but either way, that's your opinion. One more question, do you think Nibbs can be put in the same bracket as Schleck climbing-wise? There's no doubt he's the superior tt'er, at least up to this point.

If Andy has the same climbing ability as last year then yes. If he regains his 2009/2010 form again probably not. BUT there are 2 mountain stages that end on a descent this year and if Nibali is in good shape he'll be able to do something there. As for his time trial, it's not really much better than Andy's time trial. At least not if we look at his GT history. Seems to have improved a lot this year though, so his climbing and time trial abilities could be better than ever this year.

I broke my leg 5 months ago. Had major surgery to put it back together. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The fact that Gesink is back and winning races is beyond impressive. I was always a fan of his, but now I have even more respect. I really would like to see him podium the Tour, would love it if he won. He has the physical strength to win a GT, but has seemed to lacked something mentally. Coming back from the leg and losing his father might have given him the mental strength to finally live up to his physical promise.

At this point, with a win in Montreal and Giro d'emillia and 2 overall GC wins in stage races (Oman and ToC) does Gesink have an equal or better palmares than Andy Shleck? I personally rate winning way over 2nd place and if it wasn't for Andy winning Liege I would way that Gesink has had a more succesful career than Shleck.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Concussions aren't really that bad for a cyclist. They're most dangerous in sports where hitting your head again is a real likelihood. Basso would just need to take a little period without training on the road, he'd still be able to use a turbo or something.

Regarding to Andy Schleck, in his 2010/2009 climbing form he is clearly in a different bracket than Gesink uphill. Only Contador is better uphill than that Andy Schleck...
The rest is worse, yes even 100% Evans and 100% Menchov are clearly worse uphill than 2009/10 Andy

Not sure about 2009, but in 2010 yes, he was very impressive, watched the Port de Bales and Luz stages the other day and he was on fire. Seeing him whizz by ol'Lance after the chain incident was quite something. Not sure he'll get back to that level or that Bertie will recover his 2009 level...

TheRossSeaParty said:
At this point, with a win in Montreal and Giro d'emillia and 2 overall GC wins in stage races (Oman and ToC) does Gesink have an equal or better palmares than Andy Shleck? I personally rate winning way over 2nd place and if it wasn't for Andy winning Liege I would way that Gesink has had a more succesful career than Shleck.

I tend to agree with you, allthough 2nd at the TdF is no small feat.
Besides that Andy also won L-B-L which is a huuuge win.

I'm not going to deny that I'm a fan of Gesink, just like I'm a fan of all dutch riders really. All I can hope is that he, Mollema and Kruiswijk will have good form for this TdF. It could actually bring some action in the mountains since that's the place they have to take time.
Allthough i'm afraid Rabobank tactics will be waaay too passive for anything spectaculair.

El Pistolero said:
If Andy has the same climbing ability as last year then yes. If he regains his 2009/2010 form again probably not. BUT there are 2 mountain stages that end on a descent this year and if Nibali is in good shape he'll be able to do something there. As for his time trial, it's not really much better than Andy's time trial. At least not if we look at his GT history. Seems to have improved a lot this year though, so his climbing and time trial abilities could be better than ever this year.

Fair enough, for the record, I was angling at the 2009/2010 Andy, which would have smoked Nibbs on a proper climb. However, it would be unfair of me to assume Andy will be on the same level as the aforementioned years though I still think that if Andy really went for it he'd definitely drop Nibbs. Fair point on this year's parcours having stages that suit Nibbs better, however, I think Andy has proved he's not a bad descender at all and could well limit his losses. It will definitely come down to their TT's. I don't particularly like any of these riders but I would love for Nibbs to finish above Andy and of course I would be elated if Gesink finished above the both of them. I'm hoping Gesink will smoke them both TTing. :D I truly just hope we can see great competitive racing, it is in those moments that I miss Conti. :( Even in 2011 when he wasn't at his best he was awesome, showed determination and grit even with the odds stacked against him and all of the drama surrounding him.

Yeah even Contador in last years TDF form decided a large part of the race, especially because the Schlecks were watching him more than anyone else. Contador = action. I liked all GT's Contador was in since TDF 07, even the ones where he won with minutes and minutes advantage. At least something happened.

Spine Concept said:
Lol. Talk about a Hitch-fit. No one has overreacted in the way your post is implicating. You're just mad that some people don't agree with what you're saying. No one has downplayed Basso's injuries, just that some think that Gesink would have rather bruised his face - unless Basso had a concussion or something of the sort - than a broken leg which required surgery and the subsequent road to recovery. He had to learn how to walk all over again. If anything I think you are the one understating the severity of Gesink's injury..

Oww that is a very serious accusation. I am downplaying a broken leg. :eek:

Universally aknowledged as one of the worst injuries an athlete can get and you have come to the conclusion that i am underestimating it.

Excuse me, exactly where did I underestimate Gesink's injury?

Was it when i said that he could not possibly be on top form for the Tour after it, or when i said it took tremendous courage on his part just to get back on his bik?

I mean you must have seen some evidence somewhere, or did you not read my posts and just decide to make something up and hope it sticks?

TRENDING THREADS