• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2017, stage 14: Castellania – Oropa 131 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Considering past performances, I was more surprised at Blockhaus than at this tbh. Quintana was just a bit underwhelming and Dumoulin has proven himself at these types of stages before at the Vuelta..... As impressive as this performance was, people are overreacting a bit.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Considering past performances, I was more surprised at Blockhaus than at this tbh. Quintana was just a bit underwhelming and Dumoulin has proven himself at these types of stages before at the Vuelta..... As impressive as this performance was, people are overreacting a bit.

Agreed, today doesn't really tell us anything about whether Dumoulin is susceptible to breaking down in a multi mountain stage.

But the time gain on Quintana is notable. Those additional 25 seconds, with a TT still to come, is getting Dumoulin into the territory where he can survive a minor crisis.

Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Brullnux said:
portugal11 said:
I said million times!!! This guy is the real deal, i say since day one, dumoulin will be the major threat to quintana
I thought you said Pinot was going to be?

Arredondo said:
We have a new Froome!

And he doesn't come from GB!!

VAI TOM!!! VAI!!!!
Nationalism at its finest
What? I said pinot won't even finish inside top5
Yeah my bad

Really Nairo? You learnt nothing at LPSM? Ridiculous attack. Going from so far out against a rider like Tom on a climb like this is a surefire way to lose Grand Tours. The only good thing is that there are no more stages like this for him to screw up this Giro. So onwards and upwards.

Great ride by Doumulin, though. Awesome win.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dumoulin's main weakness is still multi-mountain stages, so he needs to attack tomorrow as well and try and gain time on Quintana. 2 minutes and 47 seconds is not enough.

I have to admit I didn't expect Dumoulin to be this good of a climber. Sure, it was only one climb and a very short stage but taking 10 seconds on Quintana and dropping guys like Nibali and Pinot is very impressive indeed. I was expecting him to hang on in the climbs and try to make up lost time in the TTs but this... Kinda makes me sad he didn't go for the TdF instead. Would have been nice if Froome had a competitor who knew how to climb AND TT for once.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Zinoviev Letter said:
BigMac said:
For what it's worth, it should be said that Quintana is nowhere near his best. He didn't distance the others (not just Tom) with that attack has he usualy does.

"The others" could ride Dumoulin's wheel at a perfect unchanging pace. I'm not sure that Zakarin and Landa managing to hold on to Dumoulin tells us much about Quintana's level.

Although this raises the question of what Quintana's "best" actually is. When was the last time he was better than this? It certainly wasn't last year.
It's his consistency in climbing and that his edge increases towards the end of the GT, and least when he's on (last year at the Tour he wasn't). Zakarin was good today, lost a lot of time on Blockhaus. Pinot was good on Blockhaus, lost time today. Quintana, though, is just consistently good.

Re:

carton said:
Really Nairo? You learnt nothing at LPSM? Ridiculous attack. Going from so far out against a rider like Tom on a climb like this is a surefire way to lose Grand Tours. The only good thing is that there are no more stages like this for him to screw up this Giro. So onwards and upwards.

Great ride by Doumulin, though. Awesome win.
Dude, what? He did exactly the same at Blockhaus (albeit thats a harder climb), its the only way a rider like Nairo can win.

Muahahah there is a small mistake on Steephill GC:

General Classification after Stage 14
NED 1 DUMOULIN, Tom (SUNWEB) 59:31:17
COL 2 QUINTANA, Nairo (MOVISTAR) + 2:47
FRA 3 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ) + 3:25
ITA 4 NIBALI, Vincenzo (BAHRAIN - MERIDA) + 3:40
RUS 5 ZAKARIN, Ilnur (KATUSHA ALPECIN) + 4:24
NED 6 MOLLEMA, Bauke (TREK - SEGAFREDO) + 4:32
EST 7 KANGERT, Tanel (ASTANA) + 4:56
ITA 8 POZZATO, Filippo (WILIER TRIESTINA - SELLE ITALIA) + 4:59
LUX 9 JUNGELS, Bob (QUICK - STEP FLOORS) + 5:28
CRC 10 AMADOR BIKKAZAKOVA, Andrey (MOVISTAR) + 5:36

Re:

Climbing said:
Muahahah there is a small mistake on Steephill GC:

General Classification after Stage 14
NED 1 DUMOULIN, Tom (SUNWEB) 59:31:17
COL 2 QUINTANA, Nairo (MOVISTAR) + 2:47
FRA 3 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ) + 3:25
ITA 4 NIBALI, Vincenzo (BAHRAIN - MERIDA) + 3:40
RUS 5 ZAKARIN, Ilnur (KATUSHA ALPECIN) + 4:24
NED 6 MOLLEMA, Bauke (TREK - SEGAFREDO) + 4:32
EST 7 KANGERT, Tanel (ASTANA) + 4:56
ITA 8 POZZATO, Filippo (WILIER TRIESTINA - SELLE ITALIA) + 4:59
LUX 9 JUNGELS, Bob (QUICK - STEP FLOORS) + 5:28
CRC 10 AMADOR BIKKAZAKOVA, Andrey (MOVISTAR) + 5:36

It must be pozz...something :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

Zinoviev Letter said:
El Pistolero said:
Dumoulin's main weakness is still multi-mountain stages, so he needs to attack tomorrow as well and try and gain time on Quintana. 2 minutes and 47 seconds is not enough.

2 minutes, 47 seconds and an ITT in hand. He is getting nearer to a situation where he can get murdered on one multi climb stage and still win.

Agreed. btw, I always meant to tell you how much I enjoy your handle. ;)