• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2017, stage 15: Valdengo – Bergamo 199 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fun finishing km's
stage-15-finish.jpg

Tom D can give up 5 minutes before Milan and still win the Giro, so he'll follow. GC guys might gain seconds at the finish, but they'll all be thinking of next week now. Barring an act of God, the break to get it - Costa, Woods or Yates.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Ewan has to be favourite here. Too bad Mareszko dropped out, he would have been money

It's not an easy one to call, because it's a Gilbert stage and the best riders of that type are all a long way away. If Ewan wins, I'll eat my hat. I'll go for Battaglin from a breakaway. Honourable mentions to Woods and Yates.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Selvino is where Andrew Hampsten dropped Breukink & Zimmermann in '88. So no way this goes to a sprinter or even a puncher.

Last year I would've said Sergey Firsanov is the favorite. This time around I ain't got no clue. Dillier or Hermans maybe?
I agree. No way a bigger group than 20 survives the stage.

Suits the hardier punchers like Woods, Hermans, Gorka Izagirre and Yates.

The only "sprinter" strong enough to survive on a stage like this is Battaglin and that's doubtful too.

Re: Re:

Tank Engine said:
Valv.Piti said:
Ewan has to be favourite here. Too bad Mareszko dropped out, he would have been money

It's not an easy one to call, because it's a Gilbert stage and the best riders of that type are all a long way away. If Ewan wins, I'll eat my hat. I'll go for Battaglin from a breakaway. Honourable mentions to Woods and Yates.
Just being sarcastic re the posts on the previous page, Ewan is thrash on these sorts of climbs.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
Nibali tend to those something on hilly stages like this.

If someone is going to struggle, it's Quintana.

Going off last years Giro, Nibali's main strength is possibly recovery these days, and given his performance on stage 14, I think this is too early, unless it's raining and therefore there is potentially more carnage on the descents. I think that Nibali won't even be planning to try to attack much on stage 16, but he'll be hoping that that beast of a stage takes more out of his opponents then it does out of he, and then watch for him to go totally ballistic on stage 18 in the dolomites.

I don't expect too much action from the gc guys on stage 15; perhaps a couple of the top ten will lose serious time, just from a bad day. But Quintana won't be dropped on these climbs. And he remains the big danger to do serious damage on the Stelvio.

For the stage 15 win, I'll go with Woods or Yates like (almost) everyone else.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Tank Engine said:
Valv.Piti said:

Just being sarcastic re the posts on the previous page, Ewan is thrash on these sorts of climbs.

A bit like Quintana in flat sprints..............

Highly likely the break takes it, although these break-friendly stages that start on very flat roads make it awfully hard to predict the makeup of the break.

After his mighty ride at Lombardia last year, and now with no GC rider to protect, I would expect Diego Rosa to target this stage. David Villella also rode well in that race and might be Cannondale's best prospect.

Tweet from Lotto Soudal intimating Adam Hansen may struggle to start due to yesterday's crash.

Lotto Soudal‏ @Lotto_Soudal 13h13 hours ago

"#Giro100 UPDATE @HansenAdam has severely bruised the hamate bone of his right hand. He will try to take the start tomorrow."

The run may be in jeopardy.