• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2017, stage 16: Rovetta – Bormio 222 km

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lequack said:
I was listening to a podcast that said Tom should have informed others he was going to stop for a poop break, doesn't mean that they would have waited anyway but at least they wouldn't have an excuse of not knowing what the problem was. But then again maybe riders don't really want to talk about these things.
That would have been a death sentence to Dumoulin. Mollema was on the limit but he was the only one that knew that he had issues. Had the other riders known about it they would have attacked before the dump or tried to put an infernal pace. Take Katusha and Nibali for example. They would have accelerated the attack knowing that they had an excuse for not stopping since they were attacking earlier.

Always keeping secret what your weaknesses are is better that letting your adversary know. Quintana has been sick a number of times in the past but never says anything to the public until afterwards. In an interview he was clear about the concept of hiding your plans and weaknesses. That's why it was funny when Anacona dropped and then accelerated. It showed weakness on Quintana. The fact the rest were quiet showed that everyone was on the limit. Not that they didn't want to attack.

Re:

Lequack said:
I was listening to a podcast that said Tom should have informed others he was going to stop for a poop break, doesn't mean that they would have waited anyway but at least they wouldn't have an excuse of not knowing what the problem was. But then again maybe riders don't really want to talk about these things.

How do we know he didn't? Shouting for everyone to hear: "Aaah! ***!"
Of course the others might not have realised he meant it literally. :p

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

DFA123 said:
Disappointing from Kruijswijk. Just doesn't have it this year - shouldnt be getting dropped by Hirt.
Well, I don't think it's a shame to get dropped by rider who was able to fight toe to toe with Nibali.

Sciatic said:
I think Pozzo summed it up the best:
“There was a moment of slowing but then there was the hill to climb,”

If the leaders waited any longer, Landa would have won in a solo. We would have been cheated out of the exciting chase and capture on the decent.
I agree with you. I didn't watch the entire stage, but there has to be a limit how long others are expected to wait. It appeared to me they slowed a little, looked around a little, and it was obvious Tom wasn't going to just hop back on, and there was a race to be won, as Pozzo said.

Incredibly exciting finish to the top, and descent, I might add.

Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:
Disappointing from Kruijswijk. Just doesn't have it this year - shouldnt be getting dropped by Hirt.
Well, I don't think it's a shame to get dropped by rider who was able to fight toe to toe with Nibali.
Spin it how you want. Kruijswijk, who entered the race with ambitions of winning, getting dropped by a rider like Jan Hirt on the queen stage is pretty disappointing.