• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 7: Foligno – Perugia, 40.6k (ITT)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Let's face it, if this was the worlds ITT we'd be expecting Pogačar to lose two minutes on the winner. The final climb isn't steep enough to compensate for the first 34km's for pure rouleurs.

The fact he's mentioned as a possible stage winner here is solely on the expectation he has his GT legs.
This is the most standard ITT Pogacar has done since probably the 2022 Worlds. He does so few of them.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This is the most standard ITT Pogacar has done since probably the 2022 Worlds. He does so few of them.

I had to google that one. 48 seconds down wasn't so bad.

He would crash himself on an easy corner, gesture at the camera for a minute about how it's the organisers fault, get back on his bike and win by 3 minutes. I miss him.

Yep. I reckon he'd deck it on that first tricky corner (where someone has already crashed) & win anyway.

How much fatigue will a stage like this generate compared to a stage like yesterday or tomorrow?
Much more than yesterday. Probalby more than tomorrow as well for the top GC guys. They'll be under their limit nearly all day tomorrow and they'll be at or just under their max for probably 15-20 minutes tomorrow compared to 50 minutes today

Also, don't underestimate the time spent reconning and warming up and all that stuff

The official Giro-website is such a disaster. Every serious sport organizer can easily put together a true real-life intermediate timing website even for much more hectic sport (look at FIS alpine skiing hub for an example). Gazzetto dello Sport considers this worth of a joke.