• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 9: Avezzano – Napoli, 214.0k

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Overall far harder and more suited to an early break, but only a single climb in the last 30 km. I think there's a fair chance (10-20 %) that it is won from the peloton.
There's just so little space to pace flats to control a breakaway between 150 and 50km to go I really don't see how a strong break doesn't stay away.

It's a lot harder than Napoli '22 and that went to the break unconstested. In fact, I don't think I remember a single stage as hard overall that went to a bunch sprint.

Narvaez is in pretty amazing form considering his interrupted prep for this race. Beating Pog on stage 1, won the group sprint on the white roads stage, in the mountains break yesterday and now this ride today. I think there's only one other rider here who could have got anywhere near winning today from a solo attack

Reactions: Sandisfan
Watched the last 35k and that was entertaining I thought. The rest was a flat stage, I don't know what one would expect to happen, other than a more interesting formation of the initial break.
How can you not be entertained by seeing the race leader leading out for his sprinter? Today was a rest day for the GC and we got the race we would have expected. As you say the BOTD wasn't all that, but still.

How can you not be entertained by seeing the race leader leading out for his sprinter? Today was a rest day for the GC and we got the race we would have expected. As you say the BOTD wasn't all that, but still.

Is that a general question? If yes: I don't know it either. Attacks, daring moves, Pogileadout, extremly close catch of the last attacker, a few meters before the line. That's all pretty decent, also the big favourite got beaten (which apparently he is a bit good at)

Reactions: DJO