• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro del Trentino 2013

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Makes complete sense for Wiggins to be riding this. If he is close to Nibali here then he has the Giro in the bag. We have not seen him TT this year and he is trying to improve on the aspects of racing where he is not superior.

This is the perfect race for Pozzovivo. I see him as a clear cut favorite.
Then probably Scarponi, although I'm not completely sure about his shape heading into this.

Nibbles can't go full gas. I guess it will be his first race after a one month hiatus (correct me if I'm wrong) and he needs to save himself for Liege.

Very curious to check Wiggo on these climbs. He might lurk a bit though.

Another rider to watch is Omar Fraile. After his huge performance in Pais Vasco he looks in superb shape. Could go berserk in one stage or two.

Delfino could fight for a podium spot in the GC.

And Garza to finally show something after a very unlucky first part of the season.

Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Makes complete sense for Wiggins to be riding this. If he is close to Nibali here then he has the Giro in the bag. We have not seen him TT this year and he is trying to improve on the aspects of racing where he is not superior.

Not much can be drawn from this, IMO. The MTFs aren't particularly hard this time, nor are any of the stages. Wiggins should be right up there with the very best on soft mountain stages like these. Plus he'll be closer to peak form compared to most of the other Giro GC guys.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Not much can be drawn from this, IMO. The MTFs aren't particularly hard this time, nor are any of the stages. Wiggins should be right up there with the very best on soft mountain stages like these. Plus he'll be closer to peak form compared to most of the other Giro GC guys.
FittanzeDellaSegaN.gif

easy indeed

Eshnar said:
This one has a better opening post :p

Again, and I'll shut up now, I don't think closing the original thread is the right solution. I think a thread should be closed when there's already another one open that deals with the same topic. At the very least though, you should merge both threads... now everything people posted in the original thread is gone.

Cavendash said:
Good job the very best are not here then.

The very best in the race is all it takes. Pozzovivo, for one. Not sure if Nibali can be bothered, but there are several others who might have a go. I guess we'll see.

Dazed and Confused said:
Since his transformation (post Vuelta '11) has he failed to deliver on a steep and long climb? Don't think he has been tested since, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, none of those 2012 climbs were GC-relevant, and he had a train in front of him on all of them. So yes, he "delivered" I guess, but it's not the same. Not tested is right.

I don't agree on the date of Wiggo's (second) transformation. I've always thought that he didn't improve quite that much from 2011 to 2012. Compared to 2012, his 2011 Dauphine mountain train was a complete joke. That's a huge difference. And his TT was already nearly as good as Martin's when Martin was at his absolute best (as opposed to 2012 when he wasn't).

TRENDING THREADS