• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro del Trentino 2013

*Presentation by Jason_Mercier starting here* post #24

Tuesday April 16th, Stage 1a: Lienz - Lienz 128.5 kms
1a1-2013-altimetria.jpg

Tuesday April 16th, Stage 1b: Lienz - Lienz TTT 14.1 kms

Wednesday April 17th, Stage 2: Sillian - Vetriolo Terme 220 kms MTF
2a-2013-altimetria.jpg

Thursday April 18th, Stage 3: Pergine Valsugana - Condino 176 kms
3a-2013-altimetria.jpg

Friday April 19th, Stage 4: Arco - Sega Di Ala 167 kms MTF
4a-2013-altimetria.jpg

Eshnar said:
:confused:
As far as I recall 2011 was definitely worse.

Nah, 2011 wasn't a good parcours but it was definitely better than this. It had an ITT and it was right at the beginning, which is a good thing and is very often not done in stage races.

And this route has no stage nearly as good as the one to Fai della Paganella that year.

galeria37492-003.jpg

Descender said:
Nah, 2011 wasn't a good parcours but it was definitely better than this. It had an ITT and it was right at the beginning, which is a good thing and is very often not done in stage races.

And this route has no stage nearly as good as the one to Fai della Paganella that year.

galeria37492-003.jpg
agreed about the ITT.
As for the road stages, that one was good but the other two were totally pointless. This year we get two hard MTFs and a proper hilly stage, which imho are a lot more interesting. In a stage race like Trentino, that after all is actually a preparation race, you don't expect puertos de paso (not sure how to write it in English, but since you're Spanish - if I'm not mistaken - you'll understand) to have real GC action, especially if the MTF itself is as hard as the previous climb. So even if that stage, out of context, is better than those of this year I reckon this year's road stages are better, overall.

Eshnar said:
agreed about the ITT.
As for the road stages, that one was good but the other two were totally pointless. This year we get two hard MTFs and a proper hilly stage, which imho are a lot more interesting. In a stage race like Trentino, that after all is actually a preparation race, you don't expect puertos de paso (not sure how to write it in English, but since you're Spanish - if I'm not mistaken - you'll understand) to have real GC action, especially if the MTF itself is as hard as the previous climb. So even if that stage, out of context, is better than those of this year I reckon this year's road stages are better, overall.

What's wrong with "mountain pass"? ;)

I wouldn't call this year's hilly stage "proper". In fact, I think it's a rather badly designed stage.

Also, I don't see why those year's remaining stages were totally pointless while this year's stages are great.

Descender said:
What's wrong with "mountain pass"? ;)

I wouldn't call this year's hilly stage "proper". In fact, I think it's a rather badly designed stage.

Also, I don't see why those year's remaining stages were totally pointless while this year's stages are great.
they aren't great, just good. The climbs are a lot better.

The hilly stage won't feature any gc battle but it certainly looks hard to control. It also comes in between two MTFs so it will almost certainly go to a non-gc contender. Sure provides a little more variety.

"Mountain pass" doesn't really mean the same. Fedaia is a "mountain pass" but in 2008 it wasn't a puerto de paso. The former involves the nature of the road, the latter is about the way it is used in the race.

Eshnar said:
they aren't great, just good. The climbs are a lot better.

The hilly stage won't feature any gc battle but it certainly looks hard to control. It also comes in between two MTFs so it will almost certainly go to a non-gc contender. Sure provides a little more variety.

"Mountain pass" doesn't really mean the same. Fedaia is a "mountain pass" but in 2008 it wasn't a puerto de paso. The former involves the nature of the road, the latter is about the way it is used in the race.

I know, but if you're talking about the parcours of a specific race/stage and use the term "mountain pass", I think it is fair to say the reader would understand you're referring to climbs being climbed and descended. I've never seen anybody use "mountain pass" when referring to a MTF (but you do see people using puerto to talk about MTFs, hence why it's necessary to specify de paso in Spanish).

TRENDING THREADS