• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2013, stage 18: Oderzo - Val Di Zoldo 161 km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Almeida nor Thomas have ever done anything as imaginative as attacking Giau. Roglic has been part of a thing like that but any scenario where Giau attack works involves him having the legs to win on Tre Cime anyway.

Just look at how unimaginative Jumbo, Ineos and UAE have been this entire Giro. Roglic still has 7 helpers with him, but they still can't come up with better ideas than "let Kuss drill it for 10 minutes"
They dont necessarily have to attack, but Kuss and/or Vine can definitely shred a peloton on that particular climb like McNulty and Kuss did at a couple of occasions in 2022 TdF to the point of only being 3-5 riders left. Thats completely fine as well obviously, Im not gonna sit here and expect a suicide attack.

Who do you think is most likely to move before Misurina?
I don't know, but I think its unrealistic that nothing significant doesn't happen before 3 km to go. That simply cannot happen on a stage like this.

What have cycling become if thats the case? This is the hardest stage of the year in legendary terrain. Anyhow, if thats the case, I should revisit my love for cycling, but then again, I'll be as hyped as ever come July no matter how passive some of these cowards decide to approach the race.

Reactions: limak_
I wouldn't expect anything differently ;)

Seriously, even some small hills can cure a lot of it though. Think Tour de France 2022. Fantastic, basically every stage was unpredictable and nothing was certain. A perfect race in my book, the transition stages and the mountain stages. Only blemish were the rather boring Danish stages, but we live with that because, well, I watched them and they took place in Denmark, so those were acceptable.
So let me guess...you rated it a 4 out of 10. :rolleyes:

Some pics

Fw_npLsWIAAzr3s

Fw_npLoXgAI-nzU

Fw_npLmXgAw2HqJ

Looking at Strava they went hard at the start of the stage. The breakaway did a higher VAM on the longer and less steep Crosetta than the gc guys on Cibiana.
Zana also did more watts on the first climb of the day than on the Coi climb, despite the effort being almost 16min shorter.

I'm playing catchup because I was able to catch only bits and pieces of today's stage :

Just wonderful shots of the Dolomites today. Simply breathtaking!

Massive congrats to Zana on his win, Pinot - I just can't with him anymore!

Rogla v. Thomas, I'm still not getting a good picture. Hopefully Almeida can take it and that'll be that.

On a side note - I was only able to listen to the post-race interviews, so didn't get to see the riders' faces, I must say I'm pretty impressed with Jay Vine. He sounded very composed and professional and has a good speaking voice. Maybe once he hangs up his riding shorts he can become a radio DJ or studio commentator or something.

Reactions: jmdirt
I don't know, but I think its unrealistic that nothing significant doesn't happen before 3 km to go. That simply cannot happen on a stage like this.

What have cycling become if thats the case? This is the hardest stage of the year in legendary terrain. Anyhow, if thats the case, I should revisit my love for cycling, but then again, I'll be as hyped as ever come July no matter how passive some of these cowards decide to approach the race.
After some thought, I think the best bet is on Kämna from the GC top-10. An argument could be made for the Ineos doms, but they are no threat to the podium, so their value will be in surrounding Thomas. Dunbar is currently set for 4th, he will stay put. Caruso is the other plausible bet, but I fear Bahrain is too weak. Maybe Pinot will sprint for some points, but I think he's all in on defending what he's got. We shall see.

After some thought, I think the best bet is on Kämna from the GC top-10. An argument could be made for the Ineos doms, but they are no threat to the podium, so their value will be in surrounding Thomas. Dunbar is currently set for 4th, he will stay put. Caruso is the other plausible bet, but I fear Bahrain is too weak. Maybe Pinot will sprint for some points, but I think he's all in on defending what he's got. We shall see.
I think Dunbar won't be confident of his Stage 20 TT vs. Caruso/Kamna and will want to pad his advantage if he can. I'm hoping for another monster Zana pull.