• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The rumoured last three mountain stages are so freakin bad compared to what I expected earlier. Piancavallo is a fairly ok climb, but shoud have come earlier, not in the last few days of the Giro. And is it really possible to create a stage with finish in Asiago which could end in attacks from the top GC contenders? It's an enormous disappointment if the stage to Ortisei is the toughest Dolomite-stage, and we don't get to see a Fedaia-Pordoi combo or a stage finish at Tre Cime preceeded by Giau!

Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
jens_attacks said:
The last itt will be 40 kms long they say.
who? :confused:

Little update:
- Castrovillari to be the start of stage 7.
- Blockhaus rumours point more and more towards Roccamorice and up to as high as equipment can go.
If these rumours will hold then it may clash a bit with my try on Giro. The road from Roccamorice (i guess it's SP22) is more of a goat track than an actual road. I'm unsure which side is harder. First 9-10km are similar (maybe slightly harder, just slightly) to the more regular Lettomanopello side and the whole ascent is considerably shorter. Another interesting fact is that it seems to be the end of the first week and Blockhaus, no matter which side, is a really hard climb for a first week - it could actually a good thing but the 3rd week is a bit lacking (these Grappas on the Asagio stage mean really nothing). I guess the finish line will be on Hotel Majelletta but still it's a hard climb (roughly 11km @ 8,9%).

railxmig said:
Eshnar said:
jens_attacks said:

Little update:
- Blockhaus rumours point more and more towards Roccamorice and up to as high as equipment can go.
If these rumours will hold then it may clash a bit with my try on Giro. The road from Roccamorice (i guess it's SP22) is more of a goat track than an actual road. I'm unsure which side is harder. First 9-10km are similar (maybe slightly harder, just slightly) to the more regular Lettomanopello side and the whole ascent is considerably shorter. Another interesting fact is that it seems to be the end of the first week and Blockhaus, no matter which side, is a really hard climb for a first week - it could actually a good thing but the 3rd week is a bit lacking (these Grappas on the Asagio stage mean really nothing). I guess the finish line will be on Hotel Majelletta but still it's a hard climb (roughly 11km @ 8,9%).
:confused:

Eshnar said:
railxmig said:
Eshnar said:
jens_attacks said:

Little update:
:confused:
I guess i'm yet again behind the schedule. Wasn't there a rumoured Pordenone - Asiago stage with two Grappa ascents in the middle or is it scrapped by now?

Eshnar said:
railxmig said:
Eshnar said:
I guess i'm yet again behind the schedule. Wasn't there rumoured a Pordenone - Asiago stage with two Grappa ascents in the middle or is it scrapped by now?
It is still planned (I guess). I'm just confused as about why they would make no difference.
I' m really awful at predictions (my last gem - this year's Giro Lombardia) so don't take it seriously. I just don't see any attack to stick unless it'll be Astana which is quite propable. They're known for their 3rd week miracles but that's reserved for the Clinic section. If Blockhaus will manage to stick then maybe this stage could have more sense. Still if Fai della Paganella worked then maybe i'm just too pessimistic.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Eshnar said:
How high do you think that could be?
There is definitely enough space at the Rifugio Pomilio (1890m). Higher than that there's only the Piazzale at the top (2068m), but I'm doubtful they can bring everything there (the road after the Rifugio is seriously narrow), and I'm also not sure if there's enough space for all the stuff.

Eshnar said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Eshnar said:
How high do you think that could be?
There is definitely enough space at the Rifugio Pomilio (1890m). Higher than that there's only the Piazzale at the top (2068m), but I'm doubtful they can bring everything there (the road after the Rifugio is seriously narrow), and I'm also not sure if there's enough space for all the stuff.
Thanks! I'd be content with 1890m.

Stage 11 will probably start in Fano.
We're almost done. Only real variable left is the final stage.

1 Alghero - Olbia [flat] *****
2 Olbia - Tormoli' [hilly-sh] *****
3 Tormoli' - Cagliari [flat] *****
rest
4 Cefalu' - Etna [MTF] ****
5 Pedara - Messina [flat/hilly] ****
6 ??? - Terme Luigiane [flat/hilly] ***
7 Castrovillari - Alberobello [flat] ****
8 Molfetta - Peschici [sterrato?] ****
9 Termoli - Blockhaus [MTF] ****
rest
10 Foligno - Montefalco [ITT] ****
11 Fano - Bagno di Romagna [hilly] ****
12 Forli' - Reggio Emilia [flat] ****
13 Reggio Emilia? - Tortona [flat/hilly] ****
14 Castellania - Oropa [MTF] ****
15 Andorno - Bergamo [hilly] ****
rest
16 Rovetta - Bormio [Mountain] ****
17 Tirano - Canazei [hilly/flat] ****
18 Moena - Ortisei [MTF] ****
19 Selva di Valgardena - Piancavallo [MTF] ****
20 Pordenone - Asiago [Mountain] ****
21 Venezia OR Milano [ITT] ***

Meh. I was expecting a bit more. Week 1 (after Sardinia) looks nice, week 2 seems it will be OK, but week 3 simply looks horrible. I can't get over the changes they've made, and hope they go back to the original version.

I am in a minority in liking the route, it seems. I hate back-loaded routes.

We saw in the 2015 Vuelta that softish mountain stages can be used by riders on Stages 19 and 20 of a GT to devestating effect.

The hilly stages will define the route of course. But as things stand, there are more than enough hard mountain stages to make the Giro ace.

I have no problem with the route per se. My problem is with the fact that it's the 100th Giro and we have almost nothing that reminds us of that. This route would be nice for a standalone Giro but in my opinion it could be much better in a historic perspective.

I think this is the general view around here.

Two posts above are excellent. A beautiful balance with 2 MTF's and an ITT in the first half of the race (we just need two decent length ITT's now), with the third week as usual harder than the rest, but not ridiculous. But there could be a little more history homage paid too.

Either more history or some special features for the anniversary. Punta Veleno, Kronplatz mtt, Fedaia, Fauniera, Gavia , Jaufenpass, Drei Zinnen, etc. pp.

“Only“ Blockhaus, Stilfser Joch and those Dolomites stages are certainly a bit weak for the 100th Tour of Italy! Any random Zomegnan edition eventually had more special features than this one. Well not every, but most.

Still it's a more than decent route. So I'm pleased. If they include the Drei Zinnen again and find a proper way to use the Würzjoch I'm even kinda happy with it!

Re:

barmaher said:
I am in a minority in liking the route, it seems. I hate back-loaded routes.

We saw in the 2015 Vuelta that softish mountain stages can be used by riders on Stages 19 and 20 of a GT to devestating effect.

The hilly stages will define the route of course. But as things stand, there are more than enough hard mountain stages to make the Giro ace.
This post confuses me. I also don't like too backloaded routes and I also think the medium mountain stages in week 3 of the vuelta 2015 were great but isn't that the exact opposite of this years giro? Of the last 8 stages 5 or 6 are mountain stages and probably there will also be an ITT, so this route is extremely backloaded and most of the medium mountain stages com relatively early.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Either more history or some special features for the anniversary. Punta Veleno, Kronplatz mtt, Fedaia, Fauniera, Gavia , Jaufenpass, Drei Zinnen, etc. pp.
I 100% agree with this. If they don't want to use many historical climbs they should at least surprise us with completely crazy stages and completely crazy climbs. You know, something we would remember for years. But we don't have any sterato climbs, there won't be a comeback of old giro monsters like Fauniera, Sampeyre, or Kronplatz and the new climbs also aren't that special (Piancavallo is really just a very average HC climb) instead of Punta Velone, Crostis or maybe even the 3rd Zoncolan side. The climbs of the Monte Grappa are very nice but I think this is basically the only special feature like that.