Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

luckyboy said:
DFA123 said:
Also, if they finish in Sestriere; how about mixing it up a bit and descending into it via Finestre and then the Coll dell'Assietta. That would guarantee us a race to remember :D
Made a stage like this a while ago including Assietta/Basset and Finestre with an unused climb to finish.
Also, how did you manage to do such a great Giro style altitude profile? Even with the sterrato marked on! Looks superb :D
 
Since South Tyrol and Tyrol are set to invest some cash in cycling generally I expect at least 2-3 stages there. Any rumors regarding that except for Lienz hosting a stage start / finish. Maybe once again Kronplatz mtt and the Stilfser Joch!?
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re: Re:

Max Rockatansky said:
Eshnar said:
Valv.Piti said:
The 'hard' side from Sestrieres is from France to Italy, no?
All sides of Sestriere are Italian :p
Climbing Sestriere from Pinerolo in a itt like in 1993 would be interesting. 96 Minutes of Indurain vs. Ugrumov. :D
Seeing something like the Briancon - Sestriere ITT from 2000 once again would also be pretty cool, Montgenèvre and Sestriere in one TT, Jan Hruska crashed everyone in that TT and Garzelli took the jersey by putting almost 2 into the race leader Casagrande and over 1min into Gibo. Having something like that as the 2nd ITT after a long flat one would be great.
 
staubsauger said:
Since South Tyrol and Tyrol are set to invest some cash in cycling generally I expect at least 2-3 stages there. Any rumors regarding that except for Lienz hosting a stage start / finish. Maybe once again Kronplatz mtt and the Stilfser Joch!?
@faustocoppi60

Mauro Vegni: "The 2017 Giro will be fully on Italian soil. Can't say more." #Giro
 
Re:

Netserk said:
staubsauger said:
Since South Tyrol and Tyrol are set to invest some cash in cycling generally I expect at least 2-3 stages there. Any rumors regarding that except for Lienz hosting a stage start / finish. Maybe once again Kronplatz mtt and the Stilfser Joch!?
@faustocoppi60

Mauro Vegni: "The 2017 Giro will be fully on Italian soil. Can't say more." #Giro
Thanks, pal. Missed that one.
 
I can't work out what the first few days might look like. How can they take in Sardinia and Sicily and then get to somewhere like Apulia?

When would the rest day be?

I trust the organisers to have a very good final week. Fedaia, Pordoi, etc. Hard to see them draw a bad Giro for the last nine stages or so.

But I would really like to see some nice racing in the first week. That is what made 2015 Giro so good.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
A Classic Mortirolo stage with Aprica is always great, but I'd rather have a Livigno stage with the hard side of the Stelvio instead.
The Mortirolo/Aprica stage has one big advantage: if the weather is really bad you can cancel Gavia or Stelvio and still have a hard stage with a few climbs under 2000m before the Mortirolo, a stage with Trivigno or even Monte Padrio right before it would be great.
 
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Max Rockatansky said:
Well, I don't think Crostis will ever be part of the Giro. Not after what happened in 2011.
They only took it out because a certain bloke in the maglia rosa who had good contacts chickened out.

It's just as bad as Cancellara deciding when the peloton can ride or not.
Someone circulated that photo which made it look terrible and definitely not able to be raced. And then it was pointed out that the photo had been tilted to give totally the wrong impression. Someone certainly worked to have it removed form the race and I too doubt it will be raced.

From what I have heard the roads on the Fauniera and Sampeyre are terrible and probably not able to be raced upon without repaving but in some ways I would prefer them to be raced before Crostis. It seems a shame that good climbs within Italy are ignored while the race goes to France. Then again the Tour does not use Grannon and some other climbs either.
 
@Eshnar
Piancavallo looks rather boring. The climb itself is difficult but I don't see many great climbs you could put before it. Would be a letdown as the first alps stage in the 100th giro. No chance of Zoncolan? It's not that far away, and way more famous so why shouldnt they use it. Moreover last year the whole last week also was extremely surprising since in the summer you were really sure the 19th stage would go over the Stelvio. And just lets say there would be some rumours about Zoncolan, would that make the Crostis possible too or will it not be included anyway?

Besides that, I find Finestre extremely likely. If the route really wont pass any borders the only interesting way to finish in Sestriere is over the Finestre, and besides that there aren't so many famous climbs in the western Italian Alps. The Aosta Valley maybe, but I doubt they want to finish their 100th giro there, since the climbs just aren't that famous. Maybe they will really go crazy and make a sterrato stage around Sestriere. From what I know there are 4 possible gravel ascents in theat area, the Finestre, the Basset and Assietta + a 4th one in the south east of the Finestre and you only need to pave one single short street from the Basset down to Sestriere, and basically all of them would be useable. I really don't think it will happen, but seriously how epic would it be.
 
Gigs_98 said:
@Eshnar
Piancavallo looks rather boring. The climb itself is difficult but I don't see many great climbs you could put before it. Would be a letdown as the first alps stage in the 100th giro. No chance of Zoncolan? It's not that far away, and way more famous so why shouldnt they use it. Moreover last year the whole last week also was extremely surprising since in the summer you were really sure the 19th stage would go over the Stelvio. And just lets say there would be some rumours about Zoncolan, would that make the Crostis possible too or will it not be included anyway?

Besides that, I find Finestre extremely likely. If the route really wont pass any borders the only interesting way to finish in Sestriere is over the Finestre, and besides that there aren't so many famous climbs in the western Italian Alps. The Aosta Valley maybe, but I doubt they want to finish their 100th giro there, since the climbs just aren't that famous. Maybe they will really go crazy and make a sterrato stage around Sestriere. From what I know there are 4 possible gravel ascents in theat area, the Finestre, the Basset and Assietta + a 4th one in the south east of the Finestre and you only need to pave one single short street from the Basset down to Sestriere, and basically all of them would be useable. I really don't think it will happen, but seriously how epic would it be.
We can use Zoncolan as a mid stage climb and it would be awesome
A Zoncolan-Sella Valcalda-Clavais combo with a finish in Ovaro or even continuing with Avaglio climb to finish in Tolmezzo.
Or a Zoncolan-Forcella di Lius combo with a finish in Tolmezzo.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
I'd love to see Zoncolan in the middle of the stage, but I don't know if we'll ever see that, you have only motobikes and no teamcars on the Zoncolan, so you'd have to send the teamcars around the Zoncolan and let them wait at the end of the descent.
The other thing is that you can climb the Ovaro side and descent on the other side, the narrow tunnels on the steep descent down to Ovaro would be a nightmare for the med car, the neutral cars and all the motobikes (ok, you could climb the first part of the Priola, about 5.75km at 12.7%) until the road merges with the main road of the Sutrio side of the climb and descent down to Sutrio, that would be a nice legbreaker).
Not having the Zoncolan until 2018 is ok for me, the climb shouldnt be used every other year.
 
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I'd love to see Zoncolan in the middle of the stage, but I don't know if we'll ever see that, you have only motobikes and no teamcars on the Zoncolan, so you'd have to send the teamcars around the Zoncolan and let them wait at the end of the descent.
The other thing is that you can climb the Ovaro side and descent on the other side, the narrow tunnels on the steep descent down to Ovaro would be a nightmare for the med car, the neutral cars and all the motobikes (ok, you could climb the first part of the Priola, about 5.75km at 12.7%) until the road merges with the main road of the Sutrio side of the climb and descent down to Sutrio, that would be a nice legbreaker).
Not having the Zoncolan until 2018 is ok for me, the climb shouldnt be used every other year.
How about a Pramolino-Cason di Lanza-Forcella di Lius combo with finish in Paluzza?That would be an awesome stage.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
There are ongoing negotiations between RCS and Sardinia about a departure in Sardina.
http://ricerca.gelocal.it/lanuovasardegna/archivio/lanuovasardegna/2016/06/11/nazionale-il-giro-del-centenario-si-regala-la-sardegna-42.html?ref=search
That would be nice, you could have a decent medium mountain/hilly stage and maybe even a potential crosswinds stage in the southwest alongside the coast (ok, that's probably just withful thinking but that part of the island is one of the windiest regions of Italy).
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Why not start in Bolzano?
Doesn't make much sense from a financial standpoint, you can make more money by having mountain stages in the 2nd/3rd week in South Tyrol and those towns and the big ski stations are willing to pay a large amount of money for a big stage, Bolzano probably not.
 
I have holidays, there is a tdf restday and the euro is over --> I'm bored so I'm posting this here. No new posts in this thread for almost a month? Is there really absolutely no news. One might think there should be even more than usually since it's the 100th giro. :(
 
Gigs_98 said:
I have holidays, there is a tdf restday and the euro is over --> I'm bored so I'm posting this here. No new posts in this thread for almost a month? Is there really absolutely no news. One might think there should be even more than usually since it's the 100th giro. :(
My heart skipped a beat when I saw this thread had new posts.

Now I'm disappointed.


I think it's pretty normal that no or few rumors are coming when the world is obsessed about the Four de Trance
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY