• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
LaFlorecita said:
So the Mortirolo isn't the Contador side? I can't tell from the profile.
Nah, it's from the easiest side.

rkwkk3.jpg
I didn't really had an opinion about the route but now that I see this crap Mortirolo version I just think it's a shame, Vegni should be fired like right now! WTF, this is the 100th Giro and we don't get Fedaia, Giau (I think), Zoncolan, Terminillo or Gavia for God's sake... Also when will they be back to Fauniera? And this Mortirolo doesn't even deserve its name :mad:

There are a few cases in which I still hope for a route change like that they use the Contador ramp or a different Grappa side (maybe at least the other one from the north with the super steep ramp). These small route changes aren't exactly unusual, so who knows.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Explain the Contador-side for me, I assume it was used in 2008 or?
I think it's the side they used for a cyclosportive in late 2014. Contador was there, as well as his youth team. I think they climbed a new road on the Mortirolo, before climbing the Gavia. There should be a little docu of that on youtube.

That "easy" side of the Mortirolo isn't the toughest, but it isn't near the finish either. But I agree that the 100th Giro should have featured all the mythic passes, some in a ____/ format, others with a descent to the finish, as well as combinations and MTF for true tough mountain stages, as well as a hilly 20K and a 60K flat ITT, for "balance".

It's not a bad course, it's pretty good, but for the centessimo, it lacks pizzaz. And what we like best about Italy is the pepperoni pizzaz... :D

Seriously, I agree with most of your comments. But in the end, that's what we got, and looking as closely as I can without the route details, there is a lot to like about this route, a lot to anticipate, if Nibali wants to be in Pink in front of his home crowd, will he be strong week 3? Can he peak for so long? At the '14 TdF he did. Is he as strong now as he was? huuuu (a la Lance), I don't think so. But I could be wrong.

Nibali and Aru will be there: who else? These two are not unbeatable, even in the absence of Dawg and Nairito.

trevim said:
I didn't really had an opinion about the route but now that I see this crap Mortirolo version I just think it's a shame, Vegni should be fired like right now! WTF, this is the 100th Giro and we don't get Fedaia, Giau (I think), Zoncolan, Terminillo or Gavia for God's sake... Also when will they be back to Fauniera? And this Mortirolo doesn't even deserve its name :mad:
Now, to be fair, this is the first Mortirolo to have ever been raced in the Giro (1990, never used again), so from the celebrative POV it's not even that stupid.

Eshnar said:
trevim said:
Now, to be fair, this is the first Mortirolo to have ever been raced in the Giro (1990, never used again), so from the celebrative POV it's not even that stupid.
And in the grand scheme of the stage it doesn't really matter that much, it's still a fairly difficult climb which opens the way to two very difficult climbs. Having a different Mortirolo wouldn't have changed very much, as its there to soften the legs not provide action.

Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
Explain the Contador-side for me, I assume it was used in 2008 or?
It contains a ramp of newly asphalted road that was named "Recta Contador" in 2014

https://youtu.be/BY2vgd8MyUc

http://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/puertos/view/9040
Oh cool so the Recta Contador is actually a hard side on the other end of the mountain. It's pretty short though. Still, could be used with some nice combinations.
Yeah the climb is shorter than the regular road from Monno but also much tougher, it has 2km at like 15% average.

Eshnar said:
trevim said:
Cool I never knew that :)
Still, maybe it's just that I'm way too young to remember anything else, Mortirolo to me is a steep goat track full of twists and turns, without (relative) crazy steep gradients, that provokes selection even when the riders don't want. Kind of weird to see it as 7% climb

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Eshnar said:
trevim said:
Yes, the easy side of Monte Grappa is also the first one to have ever been raced, so there's logic behind it (still, they could have done a double Grappa ascent with one of the really hard sides as the 2nd one, that would have made stage 20 sooo much better).

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Stage 2 is likely to a veer inland since the Orientale sarda road has suffered some recent landslides

http://lanuovasardegna.gelocal.it/nuoro/cronaca/2016/10/15/news/gigantesca-frana-taglia-in-due-l-orientale-sarda-tra-tortoli-e-dorgali-1.14254044 (in Italian with more photos)

image.JPG

News today:
The local Region, Council and Road Maintainer have now been funded 1M Euro to urgently fix this road.
I could link to an Italian language source if Irondan hadn't disallowed it :confused:

Now with added LINK http://notizie.alguer.it/n?id=116857

TourOfSardinia said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Stage 2 is likely to a veer inland since the Orientale sarda road has suffered some recent landslides

http://lanuovasardegna.gelocal.it/nuoro/cronaca/2016/10/15/news/gigantesca-frana-taglia-in-due-l-orientale-sarda-tra-tortoli-e-dorgali-1.14254044 (in Italian with more photos)

image.JPG

News today:
The local Region, Council and Road Maintainer have now been funded 1M Euro to urgently fix this road.
I could link to an Italian language source if Irondan hadn't disallowed it :confused:
Feel free to link in this case

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

MatParker117 said:
Only two Italian teams could receive wildcards apparently Gazprom apparently has one, the other one would be CCC.
I've heard the same rumour, but I hope that it's just a rumour, CCC have lost a lot of their strong riders, the only CCC rider who I'D want to see in a gt at this point is Hirt.
2 italian teams missing the Giro would be a joke.

Re:

yaco said:
Gazprom did nothing in the 2016 Giro, except for a questionable win in the second ITT - Barely got into a break or animated the race - Notice they are riding the Herald Sun Tour this year which is their level.
Firsanov
Foliforov
Porsev
Lagutin
Brutt
Rovny
Vorobyev
Tsatevich
Trusov

You don't think that team is good enough for the Giro?

Geraint Too Fast said:
yaco said:
Gazprom did nothing in the 2016 Giro, except for a questionable win in the second ITT - Barely got into a break or animated the race - Notice they are riding the Herald Sun Tour this year which is their level.
Firsanov
Foliforov
Porsev
Lagutin
Brutt
Rovny
Vorobyev
Tsatevich
Trusov

The fact is they did nothing, absolutely nothing, except for that fluke IT win at the 2016 Giro - Yes the 2017 roster looks better than the 2016 roster, but the 2016 roster didn't perform to expectations.

They are riding the Herald Sun Tour in 2017 and they are my tips to win the race if Froome or Chavez are off form.

You don't think that team is good enough for the Giro?

Re:

MatParker117 said:
Only two Italian teams could receive wildcards apparently Gazprom apparently has one, the other one would be CCC.

Bardiani won the Italian Cup so they are guaranteed too.

So if that is true, Androni, Wilier and Nippo fight for the last spot. So Pozzato, Cunego or both will be left out of the 100th Giro.

Re:

yaco said:

They also had a couple of top 10's on a couple of the mountain stages to go with that win in the MTT, they outperformed some of the other teams in the race so to say they did absolutely nothing is patently false. Also looking at the 2017 roster then they will be sending a good team to the Giro so they deserve the wildcard. Also looking at the team they are sending to the Sun Tour I can't see how they will win the race if both Froome and Chaves don't perform, they haven't sent a strong squad to Australia

StryderHells said:
yaco said:

They also had a couple of top 10's on a couple of the mountain stages to go with that win in the MTT, they outperformed some of the other teams in the race so to say they did absolutely nothing is patently false. Also looking at the 2017 roster then they will be sending a good team to the Giro so they deserve the wildcard. Also looking at the team they are sending to the Sun Tour I can't see how they will win the race if both Froome and Chaves don't perform, they haven't sent a strong squad to Australia

I did say if Froome or Chavez are off form - They are the likely next team in the Herald Sun Tour. I'd like Caja Rural to ride the Giro as they are always good value in GT's - At the same time would like to see one of the Italian PCT teams at the Giro.

I highly doubt Caja Rujal would do any better at the Giro than Androni Giocattoli uses to do as long as they've got a decent roster. Which this year they really seem to have got. Androni and Gazprom should be a given imho. Whether the last wildcard goes to Nippo, CCC or Willier ain't that much of a matter for me. I'd obviously prefer Nippo. Since they've been quite entertaining and aggressive last year. While Willier looks to be too centered around Mareczko. CCC ain't got much to add imho. They've got Hirt. But there are enough other pure climbers that could go for mountain breakaways already. Most notably Bernal, Torres, Foliforov, Firsanov, Cunego and Arredondo from Androni, Gazprom & Nippo!

Eventually Nippo & Benetton could match up CCC quite smoothly with a potential sponsorship paycheck So I'd expect: Gazprom, Nippo and hopefully Androni instead of Willier!

TRENDING THREADS