• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The 'hard' side from Sestrieres is from France to Italy, no?

It's from Cesana Torinese, so you could have a long flat stage then Sestrieres, or starting in France if you want that side. Ofc, it's possible to go Agnello, Izoard, Mongenevre, Sestrieres; or extend it and go Mongenevre, flat along Suss, Finestre and Sestriere for a true monster stage.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Eshnar said:
Valv.Piti said:
The 'hard' side from Sestrieres is from France to Italy, no?
All sides of Sestriere are Italian :p
Lol, I thought you went into Italy/France over Sestrieres?... Hmm, gonna read up on my geographics there.
Monginevro/Montgenèvre is the border pass, but to climb Sestriere from the west the only way to put connecting climbs is to go through France. Cesana Torinese is at the foot of both climbs, Monginevro east and Sestriere west.

Hopefully if they do a stage in Chieti, that will mean one or both of Gran Sasso and Passo Lanciano will feature again. Great to see genuinely tough climbs in the early stages of the race.

Also, if they finish in Sestriere; how about mixing it up a bit and descending into it via Finestre and then the Coll dell'Assietta. That would guarantee us a race to remember :D

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Laplaz said:
Mayomaniac said:
Miburo said:
Eshnar, the crostis? Any chance? :)
The Giro organisers in Friuli still want to use the Crostis one day, next year they want to have Piancavallo and for 2018 probably the Zocolan, but they want to use the Priola side that was never used before, about 8.9km at 13%.
Man, that looks nasty!
Yeah, but I think that the Ovaro side makes for a betterMTF because of the easier final 2km, if you're able to crack your opponents on the nasty middle part of the climb you can increase you advantage by riding a bigger gear on the final 2km.
Piancavallo is also a hard MTF, 13.8km at 8% with the final 5km easing up a bit, you could call it a shorter Italian version of La Pierre-Saint-Martin.
PiancavalloE.gif

Yes Piancavallo the much underrated softener from that 2011 stage.

Netserk said:
They could also do a Sestriere-loop if they descended down through Sauze di Cesana. Imagine that, a whole stage where they do that loop over and over again :D

They used Agnello already this year, so a hard Sestriere stage starting and ending in Italy they would have to do San Carlo - Iseran - Cenis - Finestre - Sestriere... 230km or something?

(Not serious/endorsing using Finestre again, and I imagine Iseran doesn't open in May)

luckyboy said:
DFA123 said:
Also, if they finish in Sestriere; how about mixing it up a bit and descending into it via Finestre and then the Coll dell'Assietta. That would guarantee us a race to remember :D

Made a stage like this a while ago including Assietta/Basset and Finestre with an unused climb to finish.

Always wondered about Bassett. It looks like a really short distance to pave the Sestriéres side to make it usable...Man it looks hard on that profile.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Fedaia + Pordoi. That's just so beautiful! :)

I'll hope they will do a flat ITT and a mountain TT. And some stages with a descent to end it instead of uphill.

I just really, really want to see Fauniera + Sampeyre. Last time it was in was way before my time. And I want a massive stage over strade bianchi, and one over those hills around Porto Sant-Elpidio.

Oh, and Tremalzo from Limone sul Garda. ONE TIIIIIMEEE