• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
Jancouver said:
Well, either way, Savio is a piece of s**t and the Italian cycling scene will be better off without him
Quite the opposite, he'll be sorely missed.

By who? The no-name, low quality rider that is no longer able to buy his way into pro cycling? As much as I love just about everything about Italy, including the cycling heritage, for some reason, the corruption and shady way of thinking is somehow always running in the blood of many Italians. I guess it is the "normal" that a foreigner just can't understand.

yaco said:
pastronef said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:
Direct Énergie (Coquard) not invited for Milano-Sanremo.

M'kay.

Could this be related to Demare's holding onto the car incident.

I dont think so, Demare rides for FDJ

That's my very point - FDJ a WT must be invited - But not Direct energie a PCT.

Why punish team b for the sins of team A?

Jancouver said:
By who? The no-name, low quality rider that is no longer able to buy his way into pro cycling? As much as I love just about everything about Italy, including the cycling heritage, for some reason, the corruption and shady way of thinking is somehow always running in the blood of many Italians. I guess it is the "normal" that a foreigner just can't understand.
You're so naive to think that Italy is the only place where pay-to-ride athletes exist.
Savio is a gentleman, a person of grace and refined manners. His knowledge of cycling is astonishing. I don't even need to list all the great riders he launched throughout the years. His career speaks for itself.

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Think the bigger issue is Italy not having a WT Team - It's embarrassing when three of the four biggest cycling nations have 3 WT teams.
Well, it depends on what is accepted as a big cycling nation.

On the other hand, Androni is a team that in last years has done nothing when they were at the Giro. Only a few of acceptable performances of Rubiano, and perhaps Pellizotti, but many years ago.

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

SafeBet said:
Jancouver said:
You're so naive to think that Italy is the only place where pay-to-ride athletes exist.
Savio is a gentleman, a person of grace and refined manners. His knowledge of cycling is astonishing. I don't even need to list all the great riders he launched throughout the years. His career speaks for itself.
Here there are lots of pay-to-ride cyclists. Continental Spanish teams are carried with this philosophy. Same in some Portuguese teams, and other teams I know quite well from other countries (South and Central American teams).

I know many riders who have paid to be professionals in continental teams. I remember two cases in which they were normal riders as amateurs, sometimes seen them at the back in amateur races and when I was told they were going to be pros, I was like :confused: at first, and then :rolleyes:

Jspear said:
yaco said:
pastronef said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:

M'kay.

Why punish team b for the sins of team A?

Especially when you have any proof of the culpability of the team A.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

SafeBet said:
Jancouver said:

His knowledge of cycling is unrelated to my comments. He is a shady person that I can tell from what I know about him.

As per the famous names, here is a list of very famous riders on his team:

Fabio Taborre
Davide Appollonio
Francesco De Bonis
Massimo Giunti
Francesco Reda
Patrick Facchini
Davide Rebellin
Danilo Hondo
Franco Pellizotti
Michele Scarponi
Emanuele Sella

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

pastronef said:
Mayomaniac said:
What a joke, RCS is worse than ASO, at least ASO support the French PCT teams.

nice to hear some praise for ASO, who cares about the French teams.

I think the pay-to-ride problems didnt help Savio's team. I never liked them though, actually I never warmed to any Italian pro conti team
Bardiani are kinda ok.
The thing is that they still invited Wilier Triestina who are also involved in the whole pay to race thing and also had their fair share of clinic problems.
It's not that I like Savio, but let's not pretend that the other teams that got the wildcard instead of Androni are much better.

There is always a tension between the role of the Grand Tours as major international institutions of the sport and their role as national tours. I'm not in general a fan of wildcard slots being used to shoehorn in every local PCT team, regardless of quality, but even I cannot understand why RCS would deliberately hold the 100th Giro with only two Italian teams in the whole field. Are they trying to kill the sport at the professional level in Italy entirely?

Quintana confirming his partecipation in the Giro makes this year field the best for quality in many years.

Nibali, Quintana, Aru (all GT winners), Porte, Thomas, Landa, Kruijswijk, Chaves, Domoulin, Thibaut Pinot, Mollema,Majka, Zakarin.

Impressive, really impressive.

To make things even, Froome should now change his plans and ride the Giro as well. :D

Jancouver said:
His knowledge of cycling is unrelated to my comments. He is a shady person that I can tell from what I know about him.
It is very related to your comments. Because you're saying he won't be missed. And I object that any person with a great knowledge of cycling would be missed, in case he leaves cycling.

As for the allusions you make in the following part of your post, I suggest you save them for the only section of this forum where they will be welcomed.

Sad to see Androni go. Another long-lasting italian team shutting down.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

SafeBet said:
Jancouver said:
It is very related to your comments. Because you're saying he won't be missed. And I object that any person with a great knowledge of cycling would be missed, in case he leaves cycling.

As for the allusions you make in the following part of your post, I suggest you save them for the only section of this forum where they will be welcomed.

Sad to see Androni go. Another long-lasting italian team shutting down.

The whole system is broken and the house of cards must come down completely before it can be rebuilt. Unfortunately, people like Savio are part of the problem. He was the one hiring all the dopers and his team had more problems with doping than most teams. Why? Because the way he is running his team. Nobody is making any money and the riders on his team have no option but to cheat.

Once all the people like him are gone, maybe then, the cycling with blossom again. Unfortunately, as long the UCI & ASO are the only benefiting parties from the current system, there is no hope.

yaco said:
pastronef said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:

M'kay.

If this was related to the Démare incident then why are Cofidis invited to the race? Direct Energie haven't started the race since 2014 so it's not really that surprising that they aren't in the race this year.

Mayomaniac said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Us thus the end of the androni squad after this year?
Yes, Androni will pull the plug, Savio could still find another main sponsor, but that's easier said than done.
Normally it's the final nail in the coffee for Gianni Savio! But after all, it's the silverfox. He might just come back big time with Benetton, Lavazza, etc. and sign Fabio Aru for 2018. Never say never with that guy.

In hope I trust. :lol:

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
pastronef said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:

M'kay.

If this was related to the Démare incident then why are Cofidis invited to the race? Direct Energie haven't started the race since 2014 so it's not really that surprising that they aren't in the race this year.
Cofidis and Novo Nordisk are both offical sponsors of Milano-Sanremo, that's the reason why their teams get a wildcard.
http://www.milanosanremo.it/it/sponsor/

TRENDING THREADS