• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 184km

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
TheSpud said:
Aristarchus said:
So has anyone seen Yates?

Not even finished by the time Froome took the podium. Is this the greatest single blow up / loss in a day by the GC leader?
Kelly lost 13? minutes in the 83 Tour.

Other than sprinters on the first day in the mountains I can’t think of another blowup that comes close.

Kelly wouldnt have been a GC contender overall though would he - he was a green jersey man, so I'm assuming that loss was early on in the race.

Yates just come in 38:50 down ...

TheSpud said:
Leinster said:
TheSpud said:
Aristarchus said:

Not even finished by the time Froome took the podium. Is this the greatest single blow up / loss in a day by the GC leader?
Kelly lost 13? minutes in the 83 Tour.

Other than sprinters on the first day in the mountains I can’t think of another blowup that comes close.

Kelly wouldnt have been a GC contender overall though would he - he was a green jersey man, so I'm assuming that loss was early on in the race.

Yates just come in 38:50 down ...

Kelly won the Vuelta, and should have won it another time but for saddle sores, always struggled in the high Alps though.

TMP402 said:
webvan said:
TheSpud said:
Aristarchus said:

Basso lost 42' in 2005

But he was ill, no? Yates has nothing obviously wrong.

If Yates was ill I think he would have pulled out with what's to come tomorrow.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
jaylew said:
Mad props to Dumoulin. I thought his Giro win was a bit of a fluke but clearly it wasn't. Terrific performance. I am now a fan.
The fact you thought it was a fluke when he beat Q and Nibs while taking a **** says a lot... :lol:
Not really. We've seen several guys appear on a GT podium once never to sniff it again. I just didn't think he was going to be a perennial GT contender but I was wrong.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
jaylew said:
Mad props to Dumoulin. I thought his Giro win was a bit of a fluke but clearly it wasn't. Terrific performance. I am now a fan.
The fact you thought it was a fluke when he beat Q and Nibs while taking a **** says a lot... :lol:
Not really. We've seen several guys on a GT podium never to sniff it again. I just didn't see him as a perennial GT contender but I was wrong.

Re:

Bardamu said:
Wow, what a race. This is why we love GT's and the Giro in particular. One-day racing doesn't have the drama and heroism as days like this. I do wonder what would have happened if Dumoulin had not waited for Pinot(after his mechanical) at the top. Carapaz and Lopez would have co-operated in that case I guess. Although I understand Lopez and Carapaz, I believe a stage win would have been possible for them if they all would have worked together.

And, Reichenbach is the worst descender of the peloton.

Well no, apart from LBL practically every monument every year has as much drama and heroism as that.

But these questions are interesting - Dumoulin looked too relaxed at the top of Finestre, like "we'll just wait for a few guys to come back and then we can catch him no stress" - he really should have anticipated the games to come from the podium-chasers, and at some point in the descent to the Chisone valley he has to cut his losses and stop waiting for Reichenbach (who never owed him anything anyway). At the Cima Coppi the gap was 38s, by the valley it was the best part of 2 minutes; that's a complete game changer in pursuit terms, he goes from being the guy that's just up there in front of those moto's to being more than a km ahead and somewhere under that helicopter you can just about see. Carapaz/Lopez/Pino go from guys that might assist because the stage win is available to guys only interesting in racing against each other. Froome was otherworldly today but these rare rides to some extent do require the guys behind to make mistakes - in 2006 the Landis ride was only possible because nobody took him seriously until too late.

Re: Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 18

Wow, what an epic ride by Froome! I never liked Froome but today I was cheering for him to succeed with this seemingly suicidal attack. Monstrous Colle delle Finestre is absolutely legendary climb and almost always delivers. Chapeau bas to Froome - this was the biggest cycling performance since Landis ride to Morzine at the tour 2006 (oh wait...).

VO2 Max said:
Bardamu said:
Wow, what a race. This is why we love GT's and the Giro in particular. One-day racing doesn't have the drama and heroism as days like this. I do wonder what would have happened if Dumoulin had not waited for Pinot(after his mechanical) at the top. Carapaz and Lopez would have co-operated in that case I guess. Although I understand Lopez and Carapaz, I believe a stage win would have been possible for them if they all would have worked together.

And, Reichenbach is the worst descender of the peloton.

Well no, apart from LBL practically every monument every year has as much drama and heroism as that.

But these questions are interesting - Dumoulin looked too relaxed at the top of Finestre, like "we'll just wait for a few guys to come back and then we can catch him no stress" - he really should have anticipated the games to come from the podium-chasers, and at some point in the descent to the Chisone valley he has to cut his losses and stop waiting for Reichenbach (who never owed him anything anyway). At the Cima Coppi the gap was 38s, by the valley it was the best part of 2 minutes; that's a complete game changer in pursuit terms, he goes from being the guy that's just up there in front of those moto's to being more than a km ahead and somewhere under that helicopter you can just about see. Carapaz/Lopez/Pino go from guys that might assist because the stage win is available to guys only interesting in racing against each other. Froome was otherworldly today but these rare rides to some extent do require the guys behind to make mistakes - in 2006 the Landis ride was only possible because nobody took him seriously until too late.
Great post. I fully agree that Froome's ride was one for the ages - he took the initiative, gambled, calculated his effort superbly, and it paid off.

But this is such a weak GC field. Loads of flaky riders who lose huge chunks of time on their bad days and blow up unexpectedly and unreliably. The exception is Dumoulin who is much more consistent but whose top level isn't good enough in the mountains and this year he has had to rely on the flaky riders to share the burden of work with him. He certainly should have cut his losses and gone solo on the descent - a true champion doesn't give up a minute waiting for Reichenbach to bail him out.