• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 184km

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
NnDutLJ3vVzs5N7pEeZv2Q-970-80.jpg

Floyd+Landis+Tour+de+France+2006+Stage+Ninteen+oJyeI40R7Dal.jpg
I rewatched this stage during confinement. He just didn't stop. Although Sastre grabbed a bunch of time too...

I also rewatched a lot of mid-90s/mid-2000s GT stages. Froome's performance was Chiappucci- or Schleck-like rather than Landis-like. (There's also Lance-like and Pantani-like).

The racing 20 years ago was often a lot more wide open, with the exception of Indurain and Armstrong, although to be fair Eurosport has been cherry picking the best historic stages.

Maybe now it seems tighter? There's been a lot of advances in training and the infusion of riders/races from outside the traditional cycling power countries seems to have raised the overall level of the GT peloton. And different tactics -- maybe just an impression but with fewer pure sprint stages (Petacchi won what, 9 stages at the Gire one year??) teams have more doms who can climb.

I understand losing that much time on the descent is poor from Dumoulin but I wonder what the difference would be between them if peak Froome and peak Dumoulin rode a 90km TT over the same course. I have absolutely no idea because it’s never been done but I’d expect Froome to take it by a significant margin.

I disagree. If they race this in 2018 then most likely Dumoulin takes it, though by probably a small margin. In stage 19 of the 2018 Giro, not only was Froome simply better on the day, but the stage itself was 184 kms long, so we are talking an attack of roughly 90 kms, after already having ridden roughly the same amount, and after having ridden 18 stages. That's different to a - assuming - one-off ITT between the two.

“False flat” has always had a funny duel meaning for me, because when I start climbing one and don’t realize it, I can’t understand why I’m slowly down, and glance back at my rear wheel to see if I might be getting a flat tire, I.e., a “false flat”

seems like this mainly happened riding along a plateau or ridge line in n the mountains, where the surrounding vertical topography creates small optical illusions re:distances and gradient.

I disagree. If they race this in 2018 then most likely Dumoulin takes it, though by probably a small margin. In stage 19 of the 2018 Giro, not only was Froome simply better on the day, but the stage itself was 184 kms long, so we are talking an attack of roughly 90 kms, after already having ridden roughly the same amount, and after having ridden 18 stages. That's different to a - assuming - one-off ITT between the two.
If Froome never crashed in Israel, we would have seen a different race..he would have smoked Ton D

Thats a fair opinion but I would still back Froome I think he has showed no signs of being over his peak (although obviously the crash could have ruined his career).

TRENDING THREADS