• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 184km

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

armchairclimber said:
Richeypen said:
dfromdub said:
armchairclimber said:
“First he dropped me on the climb. But on the descent,I decided two times to wait for Sébastien Reichenbach [Team Groupama-FDJ] because he wanted to ride with me. Maybe that wasn’t a good decision.
How much did he actually lose? I remember when they waited for Reichenbach for the second time the RAI moto-reporter noted that Dumoulin group were extremely slow and wondered why on earth they were doing that.

I remember reading through the comments here during the stage and somebody said Dumoulin lost circa 40 sec in waiting for his teammate. Anybody knows if that is accurate?

I dont know in terms of waiting but Dumo lost nearly 2mins on the descents today. Swings and roundabouts, Reichenbach and Pinot did contribute in the valleys and Dumo was dead at the end, who knows what would have happened if he had pushed on alone.

As I said upthread, he would have been much better riding solo mano a mano against Froome instead of thinking he could TTT back with inferior riders.

The fact that he decided to wait for Reichenbach at first shows that he wouldn't have been ok going alone. Nobody stopped him from riding the entire time at front, but you could see that he actually needed to rest behind others as well. I think that even if he hadn't waited (he claims to have waited for him, but maybe he had no energy after going over the climb to start pushing downhill isntantly) for Reichenbach then Pinot, Reichenbach, Lopez and Carapaz would've catched him anyways.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you saw the current GC standings before the start of the Giro with Froome slightly ahead of Dumo and big gaps to the rest you'd have thought it had been a pretty mundane race that had gone as expected ...

Re:

Lequack said:
The stage 19 backstage pass is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwi97SGjs4

Inspirational words from the team despite losing the jersey.
Haven't seen the backstage pass, and I can understand if they're disappointed right now, but looking back they can be very satisfied with 4 stage victories and a lot of days in pink. Of course they had hoped for more GC wise, but they'll still end up as one of the most succesful teams this Giro.

Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Brullnux said:
Contador bad tactically and had no instincts lmao

His tactics were off occasionally but to say he had no racing instinct is absolutely ridiculous
Pay no attention to Old&slow, pops his head around the corner every now and then and usually talks rubbish
S/he is probably one of the Lance fans who are still mad at Contador for '09. :eek:

Ok guys and girls, lets stop with the personal stuff, please.

I just watched the replay. I´m really having a some confusing feelings inside me. This was the first Giro for me ever. Can´t really stand Froome as a rider. Don´t really like his style , but I have had this feeling before. I know it. I don´t like it. It was like watching a masterpiece movie that I only understood years after. Because I know that I will talk about this stage probably for the rest of my life.

EDITED BY MODS.

Re: Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 18

...I couldn't help it...I logged in on the CN live text updates. I couldn't resist. At first I couldn't tell which of the two were the GC standings and the stage results. I can't believe I Gigs-ed that one :mad: . I hope someone will post the full stage or at least the final 100 km on YouTube...not the same though.

Re: Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 18

Tonton said:
...I couldn't help it...I logged in on the CN live text updates. I couldn't resist. At first I couldn't tell which of the two were the GC standings and the stage results. I can't believe I Gigs-ed that one :mad: . I hope someone will post the full stage or at least the final 100 km on YouTube...not the same though.
http://tiz-cycling.racing/videos/giro-ditalia-2018-stage-19-full-stage/

here you go

Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Brullnux said:
Contador bad tactically and had no instincts lmao

His tactics were off occasionally but to say he had no racing instinct is absolutely ridiculous
Pay no attention to Old&slow, pops his head around the corner every now and then and usually talks rubbish
S/he is probably one of the Lance fans who are still mad at Contador for '09. :eek:

Old&slow said:
Absent the crashes on the sprint stages I think this been the best Tour since 2006 or the 2007 Tour won by Rasmussen. While the course is not set up for climbers or attacking I love the attitude of Lotto, Liquisgas and BMC. They have not stopped attacking. We have not seen such fearless attacks like this in many years.

For me, the Tour to me is not about attacks, not about mountain top finishes but the interaction of the riders and the teams. Who controls the race and the decisions they make. For the most part Mountain stages are pretty boring in comparison to sprint stages. I find sprint stages much more exciting. Unfortunately Garmin and the crashes they caused has has hurt the sprint stages quite a bit this year.

The biggest loss in this years Tour is absence of HTC. HTC never would have allowed a stage like stage 12 to happen. There is no way a break would have succeeded with HTC in control. I found that stage to be the most disappointing in the Tour where Sprinter teams simply did not care enough to force a sprint.

The biggest gain this year has been the exclusion of Contador and all the drama he brings. It has been a pleasure not having to hear his daily press rants and whines all followed by accusations the next day that he or his his crazy brother has been misquoted once again. But its just no the drama he brings but that the racing is much better without him. Riders seem much more willing to attack without him. His exclusion has been a huge boon for the Tour this year. Hopefully ASO will ban him next year as well. The Tour and cycling certainly has been better off without him. To a lesser extent and for some of the same reasons as Contador of bringing drama and poor attitude I am also happy not to see Andy at the Tour as well.

Old&slow said:
I don't understand the hate for sprinter stages. Sprinter stages are so much more exciting than mountain stages. They require better team coordination, better tactics, better bike handling, more rider skill, more daring and so much more exciting. I would love to see a tour with 17 sprint stages, 1 prologue, 1 TTT, 1 classic stage and 1 mountain stage. It would be so much more exciting than the made for the ADHD masses TV events we see now.

Old&slow said:
I really hated today's stage. It was a stage that had exciting sprint finish written all over it. But the sprinters teams were simply to lazy to pull back the break. Last year with HTC this would never have happened they would have single handily pulled back the break.

This Tour really misses HTC. With HTC we would have likely seen a lot more order on the other sprint stages and less crashes. So sad as I think the sprint stages are the most exciting part of the Tour. I really hope Cav leaves Sky and goes to a team that can support him better.

Old&slow said:
While it is hard to compare sprinters form different eras as so much has changed certainly Cavendish is the best sprinter of this era and the best overall cyclist of the last 35 years.

Sprinting takes much more skill than GC riding or even classic riding. Sprinting requires better bike handling, tactics, daring, awareness, strategy, teamwork and guts than GC riding. GC rding mainly requires good genes. Which is why many cycling fans find sprint stages so much more exciting than the mundane and rather boring and tedious uphill stages.

Arguably Cavendish is the 2nd greatest cyclist of all time just behind Merckx.

Some gems from this poster, looks like he really misses Stapleton specials.

DFA123 said:
topt said:
which performance do you think was more impressive; Landis 2006 Tour stage 17 or Frome today ?
Landis. The quality of opposition he was up against was much higher than what Froome faced today.
I'm not so sure. It's not like all good gc riders of that era were in that tour as most of them were banned. The opposition was probably still stronger but not by much

TRENDING THREADS