• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 184km

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Happy anniversary to the greatest GT stage and show ever

GettyImages_962380934.0.jpg

2342386-48746490-2560-1440.jpg

They are showing this stage on Flobikes again. I watched it this morning. One of the best stages I have ever seen. Simply spectacular.
Just cannot help to see the big tactic errors that Dumo made that day. That was really bad. That was Cadel Evan's like. What was he thinking.
He was thinking that either he or Froome cannot produce 5.9 W/kg for two and a half hours. We still do not know if he can produce this number for this time period and we probably never will.

He was thinking that either he or Froome cannot produce 5.9 W/kg for two and a half hours. We still do not know if he can produce this number for this time period and we probably never will.
I get it that Froome is an alien on some days. But Froome took most of the time is the descents and false flats. Dumo's descending and ride on the flat was horrible just because he was looking around for help all the time. Including twice that they waited for Grandma to drag them to Froome.

I get it that Froome is an alien on some days. But Froome took most of the time is the descents and false flats. Dumo's descending and ride on the flat was horrible just because he was looking around for help all the time. Including twice that they waited for Grandma to drag them to Froome.
On descents he gain nothing, or very little. On false flats on the other hand, he gained most of the time, like he had some invisible help there ;)

Reactions: 42x16ss
2 years later and I still can't believe it.
It reminds me on when an already unrealistic movie gets a sequel, that basically does the same thing but even more over the top and unrealistic. It's like the cycling gods watched the 2016 giro and thought, you know what, we need that sort of sequel.

Blanco, correct me if I am wrong but in Finestre descent he gained a minute.
Ammattipyöräily gives time gaps for every kilometer: link

ascent Finestre: 0:42
descent Finestre: 0:47
false flat to Sestriere: 0:23
ascent Sestriere: 0:53
descent Sestriere: 0:11
false flat to Jafferau: 0:28
ascent Jafferau: -0:01

time gain
climbs: 1:34 => 46%
descents: 0:58 => 29%
false flat: 0:51 => 25%

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Ammattipyöräily gives time gaps for every kilometer: link

ascent Finestre: 0:42
descent Finestre: 0:47
false flat to Sestriere: 0:23
ascent Sestriere: 0:53
descent Sestriere: 0:11
false flat to Jafferau: 0:28
ascent Jafferau: -0:01

time gain
climbs: 1:34 => 46%
descents: 0:58 => 29%
false flat: 0:51 => 25%
Thanks Cannavaro.
I saw the difference at the top of the Finestre as :38 seconds. So that would put around :52 seconds lost in the descent. That plus the false flat after the descent where he lost 0:23 seconds. That is 1:15 total loss. I could never understand how you work so hard in the Finestre climb to then lose more than double in the descent. What's the point. I am sure he regrets some of that.
Oh well we only have the memories.

I understand losing that much time on the descent is poor from Dumoulin but I wonder what the difference would be between them if peak Froome and peak Dumoulin rode a 90km TT over the same course. I have absolutely no idea because it’s never been done but I’d expect Froome to take it by a significant margin.

Reactions: pastronef

TRENDING THREADS