• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 10: Lanciano – Tortoreto 177 km

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Almeida surprised me today. He was struggling on the steep ramps on Sunday, but in a fast and hard race today, he initiated the chase on the hill, was active again in the part after that, and finally outsprinted everyone to take bonus seconds. I thought he would gradually lose steam over the course of this Giro, but he looks quite vivid still, and has a good time trial. I still don't expect him to podium, but he's shown to be quite resistant and resilient so far.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Chapeau Sagan. He’s not finished yet. I know a Giro stage doesn’t feature that highly in his palmares in objective terms, but that was among his finest and most significant wins.
The flesh of young hungry 2013 Sagan with his great Porto Sant- Elpidio and De Brabantse Pijl wins which are subjectively among the most significant for me.

... He's got the versatility that he should be able to compensate for no longer being hilariously strong by racking up wins on strategy and smarts, as long as he's interested in prolonging his career. I mean, the day he hangs up the cleats is a day I'll cherish, sure, but so long as he wants to keep racing on the road, and he (and his fans) can accept that he has to pick and choose his battles a bit more as he grows older, he's still got plenty of days like this left in him.

Agree, except the part about being happy about hanging up his cleats... LOL... I really hope he takes a page from Philippe Gilbert's book and scores some big wins in his later career years... Gilbert was able to win Roubaix and Flanders past 35yo. True, it was on the best Classics team in recent years, DQS, but still, there is some hope for Sagan, no matter where he ends up after Bora...

Agree, except the part about being happy about hanging up his cleats... LOL... I really hope he takes a page from Philippe Gilbert's book and scores some big wins in his later career years... Gilbert was able to win Roubaix and Flanders past 35yo. True, it was on the best Classics team in recent years, DQS, but still, there is some hope for Sagan, no matter where he ends up after Bora...
He could probably profit from WVA and MVDP rivalry and the fact he is only third strongest in the race.

Shame for Klerenhanger, he's really experiencing the Covid season (not all that 'cause of the virus, to be clear).
The Mitchelton guys could've also featured in the coming stages, but the situation there's somewhat different.

Tour's bubble beats the Giro bubble.
But the Giro didn’t get to pick the optimal calendar slot when transmission rates in Europe were at their lowest. Was assumed rates would start increasing agin in the fall, though the rate of increase is more rapid than expected.

• Wow
Pogacar's gap at the Tour was 1:25 to Roglic after stage 7 and 1:28 to Yates. He won by 0:59 over Roglic in the end, making up 2:24.

Pogacar was much closer to the podium after stage 10 than Fuglsang is now (only 44 seconds and less competitors in front of him). A more relevant comparison would be with Richie Porte who was also 11th after stage 10. But Porte is stronger in the TT than Fuglsang, and yet the Australian was never close to the top spot.

kinda weird that we now had half of the Giro. No serious GC stages yet apart from Etna maybe, and all we have left is an aging Nibali versus a prime Kelderman (who's also never done better than 4th in a GT). Because I dont see Almeida or bilbao as a serious GC threat. And fuglsang just lost more than a minute. And thomas, yates and kruijswijk are already gone.

Weird weird giro. Looks like a default Nibali win unless Kelderman holds up.

TRENDING THREADS